Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone wear a medical id bracelet?

I was in wal-greens yesterday and saw an ad for medical id bracelets. That got me to thinking, do any of you wear one regarding the band? If you were in an accident and they did an ultrasound of your stomach and internal organs the band would show correct? Also if you needed emergency surgery they could avoid damage to the band, port ect...If they knew it was there. What do you think? ~Mandy

Mandy, I was thinking about the same thing recently. My (AARP age) parents

had a brochure laying around the other day that had the medical alert braclets

on it. It had all the "regular" things on it. You could get one personalized

(with your name-but not "Lap Band Patient"). I think it would be a wonderful

idea for someone to come up with one. On my consultation, they mentioned

that if you were ever in an auto accident, the band could get damaged either

in the crash, or by er's fixing you up and not being aware of the band. I carry

my card in my wallet, but I doubt er's will go looking thru that first.

Rhonda

Dr Lopez 3/10/05

First Fill 5/7/05 3cc

221/198/140

The one at wal-greens were blank and you could add anything you wanted on them. My best friend had GBP and his medical id says "see information card in wallet". They are around $25-$50 depending on the style and metal content. I am thinking about getting one after I am banded. Not a bad idea and if $25 could possibly save my band then it is worth it~Mandy

When you have your surgery they give you a card to keep with you at all times. Its says that you have the band with all your Dr.'s Information on it.

Medical Alert bands or neckless should be worn. It is very important that in the case of an emergency they don't try shoving a tube down us and that can damage the band and casue severe trouble for us.

Cards in the wallet are ok. But the bracelt or neckless is better. Directing them to a wallet or purse that may not have made the trip to the hospital is usless.

I am purchasing mine from http://www.laurenshope.com

Just another site you can go to.

As a suggestion. Get your Dr to provide you with his 24 hour emergency number to put on the band so he can be reached from anywhere.

I wear a Bracelet. I know they give you a card but no paramedic or ER dr is going to go through your purse if you stop breathing and they need to do something asap. Mine says (on the back) "Adjustable Gastric Band -- No tube without scope." I wear one just because I would hate to be hurt in an accident and then the injuries made worse by the emergency treatment.

Oh wow, I was just thinking about that.. and the card. I dont think they will go serching your wallet. See I learn something everyday. Now I hate wearing jewlery I dont even wear my wedding ring. Well I will just have to get use to it. Thanks

I think the Bracelet is a great idea. I did place my card directly behind my drivers license just in case they look at my id if I should be involved in an accident.

My PCP is very stong on Medic ALert for al the reasons listed above, In case of accident no tubes should be put into your stomach, No compressions in the band area or port area . I ordered my on line from medic alert and it has the basic info on the Bracelet and of course the telelpohne number to call that has all the back up info about the band.

Ok I was inspired and just ordered one!! It had some room so i engraved:

My M. Name

Adj Gastric Banding

Has Port W/ Tubing

it was a bit pricey but i got the 10k fashionable one... :) and you could see what it looked like after it was engraved.. i ordered from http://www.americanmedical-id.com

thanks for the GREAT IDEA!! that card for the wallet was nice.. but as a former EMT, I never rooted through anybody's wallet for any info it may contain.. we did however check for medic alert bracelets or necklaces. i cant believe i didnt think of this sooner.

Mandy, great post. I just got 2 bracelets, one for me & 1 for my daughter (getting banded a week from...TODAY) they say:

Gastric Lap Band

If tubing Required

MUST Use Scope

I'm also copying front & back the inimed wallet card & giving my DH a copy.

I got them from Laurenshope & they adjust sizes free for the 1st 6 months, then $10 a pop thereafter. They make ALOT of gastric weightloss bracelets!

It was also a much-need reminder that my DH needs to be wearing one for a condition he has, so I ordered him a more "manly" (plain silver) one from www.Americanmedical-id.com

As an EMT I can see the importance of having one. We aren't going through your purse to find a card. I just ordered my self one from AVON- 9.99 It comes with two different bracelets and your can get one that say medical condition and then I am just going to have the lab band engraved after that!

I think Im going to make mine.. and make a couple to switch out per outfit I wear. I use to make jewlery so I think this will be good.