Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One hamburger = diet??? I'm in trouble!

I'm hoping to be banded in the next couple months, I'm not telling my extended family/inlaws. So....we go down to inlaws for 4th of July.

They have hot dogs, burgers, brats, sausage, chips, dip, potato salad, Beans, the usual stuff. Also, Cookies, home made chocolate cupcakes and ice cream.

I had a cheeseburger and some sides. As I sat there contemplating my desert and what not, my super sweet grandma in law says,

"hon, are you on a diet? Get up there and get another burger or hot dog!"

Later, I laughed with dh and said, I'm in trouble. They will be picking me apart when I'm banded if they think one hamburger equates a diet.

:biggrin:

Isn't it amazing what people think of as normal? I'm learning how to eat like a skinny person and it's so not normal to me. I was never one to pig out, but I'm learning my portions were WAY too big.

My family isn't a big over-eating family, but they eat what they consider normal sized portions. My uber small portions are just shocking to them.

It's pretty funny. Good on ya for just the one burger. You're on your way!

Actually many people do not know what a *Normal* Portion is. Honestly. Up untill I started looking into the band I sure didn't know what normal was I just knew what normal to me was.

Ever buy a tv dinner and think *OMG I Will need 2 of these to make a meal?!?" That little ball of potatoes, spoonfull of veggies and half a palm full of meat IS A NORMAL meal. At least thats what I have been taught in my diabetic and several nutrition classes Ive been to. 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes 1/2 cup cooked veggies. or 1 cup raw veggies. 4 ozs of meat.

Most of us are so accustomed to the huge portions we can get in restaurants or at home that a normal meal looks impossibly small.

but yea good for you! 1 burger is a good step.

I know for me ive taken to sticking to less meat and way less carbs but more veggies to take up the bulk. Till such a time as I can get banded. I even bought smaller plates and ONLY make enough for one serving at the meal.

Its hard when family members push food at you. My mother in law was one of these. Always had baked goods, Cookies, ice cream etc for the kids. And was always doing things like sending us home with loaves of fresh baked breads, pies, kids got huge homemade cakes on birthdays etc. We seem learn early in life to equate nurturing with pushing food and then wonder why we end up overweight.

Lol, I've just spent the weekend away with a running group, most of whom were doing the half marathon and several were doing the marathon. We went out for Italian on Sat. night, carbo loading, lol.

I had fettucine carbonara. It was simply enormous. I think I ate 10 strands of fettucine. All around me, everyone was scarfing down enormous bowlfuls of Pasta and my small appetite caused loads of comments.

These people were pretty much strangers to me (I was with my sister, its her group) and in the end I fessed up about the band becuase seriously I think they thought I was anorexic or something!

People eat HEAPS. You just dont notice it until you have a band.

Our social culture is based around eating. Whenever people get together, it includes food. I've learned to just put a few little things on a my plate at a time. Then go back and get a few other little things. That way it looks like I went up for seconds even though I still ate less than everyone else.

Deceptive, isn't it? LOL!

Yes it is very funny how eating is very social. When growing up I was told it was very rude to make a comment about how much some one is eating (when getting seconds and what not) and it IS!!! BUT on the flip side lol I have experienced "Is that all your eating" "You ain't eating enough to keep a flea a live" (looks down at thighs...uh huh) and on and on because at family gatherings if you ain't eating they seem to take it personal!

You guys are funny...assuming I stopped eating at one hamburger....:( I must admit I did have a hot dog about 20 minutes after the burger. Didn't want anyone to worry that I might waste away right there at the dinner table.

My in-laws all live in rural...and I mean rural....areas and are a bit judgemental (ignorant) when it comes to elective surgeries and they just don't seem to know much about it, or anyone who has done it, etc. I will not tell them, and my plan is to tell everyone that my doctor said I was prediabetic (which I'm sure would happen eventually) and I cannot imagine someone pushing food on me if I tie it closely to the state of my health. Funny how being fat isn't a good reason not to push food on someone.

I am 6 months out from surgery, and had a big family bbq over the weekend and had a cheese burger, no bun, and a tablespoon amount of cole slaw, on a small plate, and no one really noticed I was eating so slow. In the meantime the "normal" sized people were eating 2 burgers on one bun with lots of other stuff. I noticed them.....

Our social culture is based around eating. Whenever people get together, it includes food. I've learned to just put a few little things on a my plate at a time. Then go back and get a few other little things. That way it looks like I went up for seconds even though I still ate less than everyone else.

Deceptive, isn't it? LOL!

It may be deceptive but you know what. I think it's worth it to keep from hurting family members feelings, because people do take it personally. Ever get bummed cause your dish you took to a dinner didnt get wiped out?

We as people in general have based most of our lives around food, especially when celebrating.

Seems like no matter how much you talk about things some people just wont *get it* cause they are to set in their ways or just don't want to change their opinions, every family seems to have those so why not do a tiny bit of deception help keep the peace. So when grandma (Or insert relative here) Says you should go try (Insert dish) I's go get a spoonfull of it and taste it at least. Most times they won't even notice if you had food left on your plate. they will noticed if you tried any in the first place.

I notice this, and also the same sort of thing in reverse. Today for instance, I attended my Uncles funeral, and there was a family dinner following it. Well the women in the church know I am banded, as do most of my relatives. I get the comments from those still fairly overweight, that they could not eat such a small amount of food! They don't get that with the band you COULD!

But I make a point to really fill my plate, and show them I DO EAT! Yes, I eat food, normal food just like you I want to tell them, and yes I have lost over a hundred pounds just like you could too. I have surprised many people!!!

I have an Aunt, sad to say we cannot call her a beloved Aunt! She is basically the same size I was when I was banded----and she is ALWAYS asking me "can you eat that?" I have begun saying off the wall things to her, like I don't 'get' why she is asking! I will ask her back something like "why is it bad or something?" She always whispers "no I meant your surgery" I tell her I have lost XXX amount of pounds eating it, so I guess so! Normally I am not a rub your nose in it kind of person, she just brings it out in me!!! LOL

I agree, filling your plate keeps them happy, then they are usually so busy devouring theirs you can eat what you need and toss the rest. Waste yes, but better than on your Waist!

Kat