Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exactly 2 Months Post Surgery: An Audit of the Band

I haven’t posted in a while. I’ve been having some personal problems unrelated to the band, but it seems everything has cleared up.

I seem to be kind of an odd case. Don’t assume my situation is/will be identical to yours, by any means. Here’s the story…

Week 1 and 2 post band were the best. SOOOO tight, so not-hungry, and losing weight like crazy. From Week 3 until yesterday (the beginning of Week 8), I was miserable. I believe this is what so many bandsters call bandster hell. It wasn’t painful, wasn’t awkward, it was just… well… not there. I wasn’t tight, wasn’t full, and put back on 3 pounds in that period. I was hungry all the time.

On June the 5<SUP>th</SUP> at 1:40PM (3 days shy of 1 month post-op), my first fill was attempted. For 20 minutes, I was poked and prodded at. My port was inaccessible due to swelling from my surgery. I was devastated. And hungry.

On June the 19<SUP>th</SUP> at 3:20PM (6 weeks post-op), I had a 2cc fill in a primed, but not filled, 14cc band. This had no effect whatsoever on my appetite. I bled like a stuck pug for about 2 hours after the fill and it was a 6 or 7 on a pain scale of 1-10. I was not happy.

Yesterday, July the 7<SUP>th</SUP> at 2:40PM (1 day shy of 8 weeks post-op), I had a 3cc fill to bring me to a total of 5cc in a 14cc band. Today, I feel less hungry. I am not where I want to be (back in that Week 1 and 2 kind of tight feeling), but, it takes less to fill me up now and I stay full much longer. I am scheduled for another fill on July the 21<SUP>st</SUP>, where we will move to 8cc.

As of this point, I have not thrown up, I have not PBed, I have had no pain whatsoever, and I have not had any gas since Week 3. I am eating what I like to eat. Healthy food that tastes yummy in moderation. From Week 3 until today, I was extremely depressed and discouraged about the band. ALMOST, not quite, but ALMOST wishing I had bypass. Now, I love the band again. The difference of a lil Fluid, huh?

My food staples: Turkey burgers, broccoli and cauliflower with parmesan cheese, sliced roast turkey (deli style), cheese sticks, salad, oatmeal, Wyler’s 0 calorie Water flavor packs, and 100 calorie snack packs.

Food I’ve eaten with no problem that I shouldn’t have eaten: pizza, Hamburgers, chicken Fingers, Graham Crackers, biscotti, Flat bread, and pretzels.

In one way, I’m glad I can still eat these foods socially and when the cravings are bad. The new moderation of this fill will help me even when I do eat those foods to limit my in take.

My point of this post is to document my experiences. If you are feeling the depressed, discouraged, hating-the-band feeling post-surgery for no other reason than it’s "not working," as I did, it gets better. It’s still going to take me self-control and moderation, but today, it’s much easier than it has been since Week 1 or 2. It will only get better once I get to my goal Fluid of 8cc.

Good luck bandsters/future bandsters!

<<hugs>>, Nicole!!! Thanks for posting. We missed you around here!

Keep your chin up. Once we get in the groove, in a few more months, this will be a distant memory. You're doing so well. Be proud of all that you've accomplished so far - only 8 weeks out! :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing that and I am glad you are feeling better about the band. Hope all is well otherwise

nicole, So very strange but you basically just wrote my story except you've had better weightloss than me. I was banded on 4/29 tried to have my 1st fill 4 weeks out and could not due to swelling i had my 2nd fill on 7/3 and it brought me to 5cc's, doc said because of the holiday no one would be in the office incase of emergency so he wanted to keep it at a low fill this time. I was very discouraged untill this last fill, and now with a bit better restriction i can tell its working not how i want it to but i'm on the way. Anyway it was nice to see you experice thank you and good luck.