Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I will be having my surgery around the first of August, the date is not set yet due to an infection in my stomach. Anyway tell me how you got through the first 2 weeks prior to the surgery on an all liquid diet and if you have any suggestions I can follow.

Thanks,

Catowita:mellow::thumbup:

I am on the liquid diet right now. My surgery is scheduled for July 16th. You just have to set your mind to it that it is important to you and do it. I did notice today as I was doing errands that I noticed ALL of the resturants on my way home. i could think of something yummy at each one as I passed it.

I started out thinking I couldn't do it. I had to tell myself it's just food and get over it! I've been on the pre-op diet for 5 days now. It hasn't been so bad. I was reading a thread the day I started where people said they were having a good experience w/ it and I decided I would have a good experience too. Over the 4th I was not perfect, but I stuck to it pretty close. It's been kind of an achievement for me.

It was great for me.... for a few reasons.... one, I got into the "last supper" mode, eating everything in sight for about a month as soon as I found out for sure I was getting surgery.... then... after feeling so icky due to eating things I usually didn't eat, I was yearning for the pre-op diet... although mine wasn't all liquids, it made me feel so much better and I lost 8 pounds! It was great to do it.... for Breakfast and lunch it was high protein/low carb shakes and bars, pretty much as many as you wanted, although one of each usually filled me up for at least 3 hours and I would have another drink or bar for a snack if I couldn't make it to the next meal. Also was drinking tons of Water which helped keep me full (a bug key in after surgery too!). Then for dinner I could have as much of lean Protein I wanted (chicken, turkey, tuna fish, fish, etc.) and then 1 cup of steamed veggies and a cup or 2 of salad with low carb dressing (ranch or blue cheese) OR a cup of cottage cheese. I was never hungry, got my eating back on track and didn't feel cheated at all.... I have done this before, put my body into ketosis.... it really did make me feel great, I know it doesn't make others feel as good. It also prepared me for how to eat healthier once I was banded 5/27/08. Since surgery I am off all diabetic meds, blood sugars are normal and have lost 25 pounds (30 total since pre-op diet started). Good luck to all of you! It was a breeze... I went to Mexico and all went excellent... I would do it exactly the same again if I had to!

Kammi in Everett, WA

DOB 5/27/08

335/302/180

Dr. Kuri - TJ Mexico

Hi everyone,

I am a new poster from the UK.

I was due to have my surgery on the 3rd July, after being on the liquid diet here. I don't know how it compares to the USA, but all I can have is 4 pints semi skimmed milk a day plus a salty drink like a stock cube. I did this for 9 days pre op, and got to hospital only to have my op cancelled at 7pm after waiting all day. There has been no one to tell me what to do now, while waiting for the op next Thursday, the dietician isn't available, so I am carrying on, now into my 12th day. I am managing OK, but suffering really badly with Constipation, and need some help or advice from fellow sufferers. I am not allowed anything with sugar. Have tried Senna tablets and today suppositories but with limited success. Thanks for any hints you can give.

hey guys i am due to be banded on the 21st july and cant wait a little nervous but doesnt everyone get a little.

well i have been on my preop diet for 7days i have to be on it for 3weeks im starting to feel heaps better 3 shakes a day with Water and no food its great lol its strange cause i feel cleaner cause i dont have all the chemicals in my body and i have also given up smoking as well so i have gone cold turkey on everything. i keep telling myself its not long mind over matter

good luck guys

susie

Hi All,

I am having surgery on Tues July 8, and have been on the pre-op diet for a week and a half. My doc prescribed Dr. Atkins or other low carb shakes, 2 a day, yogurt, cottage cheese, broth, fruit juice, no alcohol or carbonated drinks, only one cup of coffee a day. And to drink at least 64 ounces of Water a day. The first few days I had severe headaches from withdrawal from diet coke and all the other sugars I wasn't getting. I was also told to stop taking any advil or aspirin so I had to switch to Tylenol. The pills didn’t help the headache so I tried the adult liquid and that worked.

I have been on a very low calorie shake diet before, so I knew it got better after a few days. I did have to have an extra shake a couple of days and Snacks (he wanted me to eat just 3 meals a day) of allowed items (not really food) because I got very hungry. I drank lots of Water. I found several items at the grocery store that really helped me. 1) South Beach and Special K and others make these drink mixes that you put in your water. They have Protein and Fiber and make you feel full and have 10-30 calories. As a snack, that kept me going until the next non-meal of a shake. 2) Fiber One makes a yogurt with Fiber which I used. 3) I found a local brand of zero calorie flavored water which was inused with Vitamins. The lemon lime flavor tasted a lot like a Sprite, so it helped me with my soft drink withdrawal. From my last VLC shake based diet (which was physician supervised) I know to take BeneFiber and Stool Softener to prevent Constipation.

The fourth of July was torture. We went to two barbeques. I drank my Dr. Atkins shake in the car on the way to the party and drank my flavored water while everyone had their heaping plates of BBQ, beer, wine and other libations. But, I didn’t cheat. Today I am down 12 lbs before even starting my surgery. I am nervous about the surgery, but even more nervous about keeping this lifestyle up for the rest of my life.

I have been on a high Protein, low carb diet for about 10 days and yesterday I ate too many veggies at lunch and now I am starving! The first few days are the worst as your body gets off sugar, but the hunger will stop.

I am allowed SF yogurt, Cottage cheese, lean chicken, tuna, egg, and green leafy veggies...

i only need to do my pre op diet (not liquid) for a week pre op, however, i started it last week to see how it would be. have now been oding it for 8 days, and the need for sugar kicked in this morning. the good thing is though, that i do not drive and live in the middle of no where, so i did my food shopping yesterday, brought it back on the bus and will not be going into town again until next saturday. think the worst bit is that i am not really doing much today, was going to go for a walk, but it is thundering and lightening so i decided against that idea. hoefully it wil clear up a bit later, so i can go out before i go to bed. this last week, the need for what is not on the pre-op diet has not been there as it has been manic at work, so it is obviously just me needig to be busy, because if i really thik about it, im not hungry, im just bit bored.

its better off in the long term, so i will stick to it. bit dissapointed though in only lossing 1 pound in the last week. will have to try harder this week.

Hi Libby, I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday. Very good luck. Keep in touch here to let us know how you are getting on.

hi I'm having the band on July 9th by dr. wetter at elcamino hospital. I totally know what your going through I have been on the liquid diet for about 1 1/2 weeks. I'm totally used to it know...well keep in touch

hi I'm having the band on July 9th by dr. wetter at elcamino hospital. I totally know what your going through I have been on the liquid diet for about 1 1/2 weeks. I'm totally used to it know...well keep in touch

I'll be thinking of you all tucked up in bed, all done and dusted.

The very best of luck to everyone having the op this week.

XX

:thumbup: