Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all teachers, busy moms, heck..anyone with suggestions...HELP!!

I am a middle school teacher. During summer vacation, I can stick to any excercise schedule that I set for myself. However, I will be returning to work August 1 :-( . I'm going to have to start thinking of a schedule for next month once the new school year starts. Going back to work is definitely going to put a kink in my exercise plan. Mornings will no longer be an option for me with 2 elementary aged girls to get ready and out the door (my husband is responsible for our 2 year old son every morning).

I've never been able to consistently exercise in the evenings...there's always some interference (running my kids back and forth to extracurriculars after labor day, housework, night class, husband working some nights, etc, etc). I thought about right after school, but I live on the MS Gulf Coast and August is the hottest month of the year. The heat and humidity is almost intolerable, literally. If I did manage to do it without dying...I'd have to come up with a new schedule in September because my daughters start dance (which translates as the beginning of taxi service at least 3-4 evenings during the week). Anytime after dark or before dawn is out...I don't feel comfortable alone in my area unless the sun is out.

Woe is me...too much to do, so little time! I would appreciate any suggetions.

gosh that is hard- one suggestion is to join a gym with extended hours (if you can) and get up before the family does. I get up at 415 so I can exercise before work- it isn't ideal but it might help.

also when your daughter is in dance class- maybe you could wear your jogging shoes and go for a walk/run nearby while class is ongoing?

I think most of us think our exercise has to be done at one time but any extra activity you do during the day adds up- (thank you bodybugg! for teaching me that)

good luck!

(I live in houston and am very sympathetic to the heat/humidity- august and september are MISERABLE! even my dogs don't want long walks those months! :thumbup: )

Go for a walk on you free period or you lunch break. See if that will work.

Unfortunately, I'm held captive all day, at least I feel like it sometimes. I have no lunch break (yes, we still eat with our kids at my school)! And our planning period is not for personal business. Now that I think about it...that kinda sucks, doesn't it? Maybe I should contact OSHA or something...they will probably remind me of my summers and holidays off, though. :biggrin2: I could sneak and do a workout tape in the privacy of my room every now and then, though, couldn't I? Thanks!

Maybe do something that involves the whole family...just a thought, but probably not a reality:)

Ooo, the whole family, I don't know about that one! Trying to do a walk/jog (couch to 5K) with my 10, 5, and 2 year old tagging along while my husband is at work may be a little difficult. The thought makes me shiver with fear. :eek: I guess I could invest in one of those double jogging strollers. My 5 year old should still be able to fit in that. My 10 year old could definitely keep up with me on foot or bike. You may be on to something...Thanks! :mellow:

gosh that is hard- one suggestion is to join a gym with extended hours (if you can) and get up before the family does. I get up at 415 so I can exercise before work- it isn't ideal but it might help.

4:15? Oh my! You are a good one! I have considered a gym membership...but that is really not in our budget right now. If I gotta get up, then I'll just have to make that sacrifice and exercise in the house. No more 10:00 news for me, though! :thumbup:

also when your daughter is in dance class- maybe you could wear your jogging shoes and go for a walk/run nearby while class is ongoing?

Hey, now that's a thought. Their studio is right by the beach....the perfect place for exercise. Why didn't I think of that! The humidity/heat is not so bad on the beach in the evenings. The wind blows, the waves crash. That's definitely do-able! You are so wise!!

I think most of us think our exercise has to be done at one time but any extra activity you do during the day adds up- (thank you bodybugg! for teaching me that)

That is very true. But, until I get to the point that exercise is not a chore for me, I won't complete the task if it's broken into chunks. I'll convince myself that I'll walk for 10 minutes later...later becomes much later, then I'll find some excuse, blah, blah, blah! Sad, I know! But it is my reality! For now, I have to make things as simple and consistent as possible.

(I live in houston and am very sympathetic to the heat/humidity- august and september are MISERABLE! even my dogs don't want long walks those months! :tt2: )

I know what you mean! We had to put my poor Shih-Tzu in the basket at the bottom of my son's stroller the other day while we were out walking! I thought he was going to have a heart attack! Poor thing! I guess his little legs were working to hard to keep up with mine. Guess I'd better leave him in the house and get me a big dawg! I don't think my little one could make it in the winter! How sad! :cool2:

Thanks you guys for your quick replies and awesome suggestions. I think that I will be able to incorporate all of them in one way or another in order to get all my exercise in. Bottom line is that I'm going to have to plan well, be consistent and dedicated. If not, I know that I will end up missing a workout here, a workout there, which will lead to the demise of my exercise altogether.

Although I do not have children, I do relate to your situation - I am a middle school teacher as well. Here's what I am doing...during the month of July, I am going to make test-runs on where the exercise fits best into my daily routine. When school starts, then (I hope) it won't be that difficult to find time to exercise.

I think walking while your daughter is at dance class is a brilliant! Maybe there's another mom who would like to join you?

Thanks, Rae, I will!

Triser - test runs during july sound like a great idea! Thanks!