Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need friend in Kansas City

I would love to talk with someone who's been there done that with the lap-band. There are 5 of us so far here at work that have done it, but I'm the longest running (7 months), and they're asking me questions. I have my own questions/thoughts.

Am I being selfish? I love answering any questions that the girls have, but I'm crying myself to sleep every morning when I get home from work, because I'm just so frustrated.

Can anyone help?

Did you see the post with the Lansing thread? above yours. It would be neat if we all go together on a thread in the same area.

Awesome! Did you have any restriction after surgery? I have none which is upsetting. I have lost 10lbs so far before and after being banded on July 4th. You have done so well. Can you give me advice about having no restriction and also I have a BBQ to go to on Friday and I still don't feel well. What were you able to eat following surgery? Thank you Kindly!

Hi there Huskerette & Joiful. I just stumbled on this thread.

I was banded in 2005 here in KC. I'd be more than happy to speak to either of you. I'm no expert but I LOVE to talk.

This is also extremely short notice but there is an area wide (non-doc specific) support group meeting tonight that might interest you. I've pasted a copy of the reminder e-mail I received this morning. Its not a large group, maybe 12-20 but it is a diverse group with people ranging from pre-op to 7 years out.

Just a quick reminder that our July KCBandster meeting will be

happening tonight 7/14/08 at the Antioch Library in Merriam, KS from

6:45-8:45pm...

Join us for a powerful exercise/discussion on milestones. Tonight will

be a great time to reflect on your weight loss journey and if you are

new and considering lap band surgery, this will give you great insight

into how the band has changed many lives!! This is a "not to miss"

meeting and I hope to see you there!

Jen Runyan

Banded 1/11/01

Directions to the Antioch Library:

I-35 to Shawnee Mission Parkway

East to Antioch

Library is on the northwest corner

Oh, and Huskerette, I couldn't help but notice your name. I've lived here in the KC area for the last 15 years but am originally from the Fremont/Lincoln Nebraska area. Where are you from?

I just got my email and I am finally at work today! Yipppeee! I feel pretty good still not getting enough Protein. Boy, that seems to be very difficult for me. Tried the Protein Shots and I am so picky that i PB it up! I can tolerate some of the Slimfast so I need to have 3 every day, or should I? Get so confused, get light headed. Does that mean I need to eat some protein?

I'm not a fan of the Protein shots either. I'm also a bit unsure of the quality of Protein some of them are based off of. But I do like the Slimfast if it is the Low Carb variety with 190/20/2 (Cal/Prot/Carb). The other Slimfasts have too many carbs for me and not near enough protein. I've only been able to find them for sale at Walgreens & Sams Club (Not CVS, costco or anywhere else so far)

I also like the Grape Frost Isopure drinks from GNC but ONLY if I add a Crystal Light Lemonade packet to it to boost the flavor. 160/40/0 (Cal/Protein/Carb) I usually would only drink 1/2 bottle at a time as I've heard the body can't absorb more than around 30g of protein at a time and the rest would just go to waste.

Not sure about the dizzy/confused issue. I'd call Dr. Malley's office and ask for their opinion or your doc in Mexico. You were banded just 11 days ago so you are probably still just recovering but its better to safe than sorry.

Good Luck and feel free to ask any questions. I may not always have an answer but I'll always try.

Boy, when ordering Soups from restaurant you really got to watch out for the Protein. Just had Houlihans Tortillia chicken Soup with chez. Almost not chicken and cheese and talk about watery. So I had a slimfast with 10 grams of potein once again not enough. So what do I do eat some more or wait for din din? This is soooo confusing!

I'd say if you are still feeling weak, you may want to go ahead and "eat" somemore food. However with this being the start of your 3rd week do be carefull about sticking to mushy foods. Even Soup can be a bit too lumpy with the pieces of chicken and such.

OK Honestly, I'm really not a food nazi, problem is it is hard not to come across over the internet as either a over critical know it all or someone that sounds like they are practically encouraging behaviour with potentially dangerous consequences. And even when you are sure that the person you are writing your response to would understand the difference you never know who else is reading and how they will take it.

Truth is even I ate some slightly chunky Soups at this stage but I was extremely careful that the chunks have been chewed to mush and watered down with the soup before swallowing. (Think baby food)

The reason has to do with the healing process of your stomach and the band. Not just some jump start to your diet.

I seem to remember you mentioning that your Mexico doc hadn't given much/any aftercare advice which is part of why I may be coming across a bit preachy. Feel free to tell me to back off if I am. But iIf you are interested you might check out the link below to the manufacturer's post-op guidelines.

Lapband.com - The First Few Weeks After Surgery

I've also heard fantastic things about a Interactive Patient Education Program called "Emmi". If you call Malley's they can set you up to view it over the internet. It shouldn't matter if you have seen them yet or not. I was actually banded by someone else as well but am using his office for fills now and they've always treated me well.

I am trying to see Dr. Malley have an appt with him Oct. 20th! He has a new doctor coming in Aug. then I should be able to get in and get a fill. That is where I want to go. Yesterday went to Surgerical Weightloss Centers they gave me some directions. I don't think they have it together. I went and got some chili from Wendys I heard that was an option. You are not being bitchy but helpful! I think I am in my second week if I had surgery July 4th, correct? We are sticking frozen foods in the blender after we cook it. They have a thick consistency is that okay or should I go buy just baby food and stick with that? I haven' had any solid foods in a while so I am really watching it. What about if you made a roast and ground that up, is that okay? Thanks for helping me out!

I know some that did eat baby foods but personally YUCK! and a lot of my band friends threw stuff in the blender like roasts and said they tasted great again I just couldn't get past it. Once I switched over to the creamy/mushy phase at the 14th day I was all over the various cheese Soups if they had veggies in them I either gummed them to oblivion or fished them out. I couldn't be bothered to do the whole blender thing like I should have. I also made a variety of Protein puddings by mixing whey Protein powders with instant sugar free puddings. (Chocolate, Cheesecake, Lemon or Lime, etc..) Later I discovered an even healthier option where I would blend Cottage cheese until smooth and replace most of the milk called for in the pudding recipe with that instead. It had a much higher protein to carb ratio and tasted great. Most people think it sounds disgusting but really it tastes very creamy like you made it with whole milk (no hint of salty at all)

Oh and if you freeze the puddings for a while before you eat them and stir them up they taste like eating soft serve ice cream. Yummy.

Right now one of my favorite protein rich foods is Cottage Cheese with some Yogurt and a Cherry or Rasberry Crystal Light bottle Water packet stirred in. I've just been feeling too lazy to take the time to blend up the puddings and mess up the kitchen. But I'm not sure if cottage cheese would be considered "soft" enough for the 14 day mark.

This stage was SO HARD for me but I just kept repeating to myself I can put up with anything for just a couple weeks and being self pay I couldn't risk the possibility of having to pay for any complications much less the loss of money with more time off work without pay.

Speaking of work, one of these days I may need to talk to you about the whole teeth whitening thing. I'd love to do it but always assumed too expensive. Tried one of those home kits once and was VERY sore and dissapointed though I managed to get my money back. I personally think I would need veneers to do any good on my teeth. (though I'm not nor ever was a smoker)

Over the counter has fillers in them such as fruit acids. That is what more and likely caused your problems. They also cause sensitivity and gum issures. Our products and pure and safe. Veneers are very expensive try our teeth whitening first. It is only $99 and I will give you $20 off just tell who is there probably my husband what I said. I think Overland Park is closest to you. I love doing teeth whitening!

I just don't think i am doing things right but I am trying cause the chili was not smooth but was told it was a great alternative.

I am doing well worked a full day but ready to go home and go to bed. My husband and I was invited to attend West Elm (a retail store) grand opening. I think I will just go to be instead. I can't eat any of their catered food or have drinks so what the hey I am find with that.

Talk to you later!

I think you are right about the whitening. The kit was NOT cheap but it was suppose to do it all in 2 hours as opposed to over several weeks. It involved rinsing with a special rinse then painting my teeth with something and holding a special light that came with the kit up to my teeth for several minutes then repeating the process over and over for 2 hours. Very tedious and towards the end my gums started to feel like they were "popping like popcorn" strange description but I swear thats what it felt like and everytime I felt a "pop" a small part of my gums would suddenly be swollen and white. By the time I was done my gums were all white, extremely swollen and bleeding. I thought it had to do with high levels of hydrogen peroxide in the kit but not positive. My teeth were a bit whiter but my gums didn't recover for several weeks.

As far as which is closest I live near downtown KCMO but on the KS side and my son goes to Montessori School out by the Legends. What is the name or phone number of your place? You can PM it to me if you like.

Hello fellow KCers... I live in Lenexa and am getting banded next Monday!!! So.... I'd like to know when the support groups are meeting.

Have a great week!

Jessica