Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Check out my blog Melodie Takes Manhattan!! It's about my Quest to walk all of Manhattan.

Welcome to all the new runners!

Suzanne, I've got my fingers crossed for you in Jan. Let's hope this is the last surgery!

Georgia... hows the fill level going?

Just wanted to pop in to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. DH is in the bedroom wrapping presents... I did all mine a few days ago! Ha! so now I'm sipping a chocolate martini... mmm

DH and I decided to run the Resolution Run on Dec. 31. So I'm getting another 5k in before the end of the year. This will be my first evening run (in the dark) and in this cold! I don't hold out high hopes for a good time, just want to complete it.

I've been running 2-4 times a week lately, so I'm glad about the consistency, but the distance has only been about 2m. Since I've been stuck to a treadmill, I usually don't go much longer than 25-30 min.

Someone posted a question about average running pace. I walk at about 3.7 and run at 4.5 to 4.8. I've been running now for 1.5 yrs, and have difficulty getting much faster, so I've just accepted that I'm slow. Like a snail! LOL, slow and steady wins the race! HAHA. My DH runs at around 5.0 to 5.5, but he's been doing this for years and is much leaner than I am.

I run to keep my fitness level up and burn some cals so I can indulge a little bit. I've stabalized my weight at this level since April, so I doubt if I'll lose any more... and that's ok. I'm very healthy, and have accomplished all the goals I wanted to.

Ok, rambling... must be the martini! Merry Christmas everyone!

OK so I am not following the program exactly but I have done 2 consecutive days of 1hr 10 min alternating jogging and walking. My goal is to lose 100lbs in the next 10 months and run the Marine Corps Marathon on Halloween in DC.

One day at a time, but at least I started!

Hi everyone, just wanted to stop in and give an update. I started this program a few weeks ago and must admit that I havent followed it to the T but have been using it the best I can. Well today I ran my first under 10 minute mile, (9min 6sec) It was follwoed by 2 additonal miles but at a MUCH SLOWER PACE:biggrin:. I am very excited about my progress and hope to be able to build on it.

I am excited to see this post. I am being banded tomorrow!! I have a # goal however my main goal is to be able to run a 5K by June. That's 6 months- I think that is reasonable. I am athletic at 265 so I think this is an attainable goal. Looking forward to coming alongside the group to reach this goal.

Well, Week 1 is now complete! I ran all three days (last Wednesday, Saturday, and Monday), but I think I'll do an extra day of week 1. Day 1 was super slow jogging after the first two jogs, day 2 was super slow jogging after the first three, and day 3 I was able to jog at a good pace for all of the jogging parts, but I want to master it just a bit more before I go on to week 2. Luckily I have awesome mixes to listen to because I made them myself, and the music I picked is motivating to me! Also, my roommate runs with me, which can get a little frustrating because she is very athletic and gets ahead of me at the running parts, but she always comes back to walk with me. I try to keep up with her for as many of the jogs as I can, but to also consider my own pace.

Well, Week 1 is now complete! I ran all three days (last Wednesday, Saturday, and Monday), but I think I'll do an extra day of week 1. Day 1 was super slow jogging after the first two jogs, day 2 was super slow jogging after the first three, and day 3 I was able to jog at a good pace for all of the jogging parts, but I want to master it just a bit more before I go on to week 2. Luckily I have awesome mixes to listen to because I made them myself, and the music I picked is motivating to me! Also, my roommate runs with me, which can get a little frustrating because she is very athletic and gets ahead of me at the running parts, but she always comes back to walk with me. I try to keep up with her for as many of the jogs as I can, but to also consider my own pace.

Good for you Jenny. Watch those knees.....if you hurt them you will struggle to exercise.

Don't worry Donna, last time I did this my knees started to hurt but this time I feel fantastic!

Ok, I had to share this amazing news! The newbies to this post won't know this, but the ol' timers will remember that I tried and tried to get a chance to carry the Olympic Torch during its route through Canada for the Winter Olympics. Unfortunately, I didn't get selected...

Well, that's ok, cause I'm going to the Olympics! As an incentive trip for top performance, I get to go with my DH and we go to the opening ceremonies, attend 2 separate events (Freestyle Skiing and Speed Skating), plus get wined and dined and toured around for 4 days!!!! This is such a thrill, I can't believe it!!!

Ok, so I don't get to carry the torch, but I do get to see the finish to the torch relay!!!

Kathy that's fantastic! Wow, what a thrill. You deserve it and I hope you enjoy every second of it.

I'm afraid I have bad news for my feet. My left foot is healing nicely after having my second Morton's Neuroma taken out in one year. I was hoping to begin running again by now, but....I can't believe I'm going to say this...I have a THIRD Morton's Neuroma in my RIGHT foot! WTH? I'm so upset about it.

I'm starting to think I may never run again. I see my podiatrist this Friday. I'm going to ask him should I run on my new flegling MN or what. I'm just disgusted.

You know what they say, no good deed goes unpunshied. I finally find an exercise that I love and I can't keep my feet healthy.

Not to mention, I'm up 9 pounds! boo hoo.....waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

geez ive been gone a long time. i do keep up with the posts, but havent been into the posting. maybe time to get bk to my basics... its coming up on a year that ive been running. still having some probs w/ my feet, but thankfully nothing as serious as Suzanne. Im soooooo sorry Suzanne, i really hope it gets better soon.

Havent run much in the last month. several reasons, like lost my job beginning of november and it took a while for the depression to set in. Not to mention the reality that ppl just dont tend to leave their jobs during the holidays. then...i got sick, first with a cold then with bronchitis which is my norm, but still annoying. i still have a lingering cough but im off the antibiotics.

the really cool thing is that yesterday i worked out my schedule around the kids so i could get in what i had planned to be a walk with a few long sprints thrown in. (when i was in shape to run this past month thats what i did...id warm up for 2 songs then run 1 then walk for a song...etc) kinda like a modified C25k cuz i knew id come farther than restarting the program from the early weeks, but not wanting to pressure myself too much and expect too much if i wasnt up to it.

so, yesterday i expected to walk/run for the first time in about 2 weeks i did my warm up which was a bit longer than 5 mins. and did a 1.75 mile straight run. the music was motivating me and i just didnt feel like stopping. i probably could have run farther, but knew id need to cool down a bit and i didnt feel like i could go another full lap. my total distance for the exercise was 2.4 miles, and i felt sooooo psyched. im hoping that that means i'll continue to build. not planning any 5k runs though there is a cool one this weekend to fight childhood obesity. just dont think im ready.

have been doing a bit of reading on shoes too. i wound up getting some from Target that are working well for me except i think i need the boy's 5 1/2 instead of the ladies 7. and the cheaper lower heeled shoes seem to do better for me...go figure. lol.

Kathy im really happy for you. you got to change up your dream a little bit but still get a wonderful reward for all your hard work! its coming up soon, and id be excited to see some pics posted!!! hint hint!

Suzanne...feel better. i know how frustrating a wt gain can be especially when u feel like you have a solution at your fingertips if not your feet. im working on relosing the 10 i gained in oct/nov. i had a fill and maybe just maybe im back on track that way too.

hope i'll get to talk to y'all sometime soon again.

TC,

Carol

I would love to start couch to 5k too. I cannot work out at the gym since I have 3 children 4 and under and no family around in the US. I saw what you guys did and think that I might be able to squeeze I time after everyone has their dinner.< /p>

Where do you guys go and download the program? I would like to download to my sony walkman thing (kid of like ipod) and what shoe to buy for running + walking?

Thanks,

Carol, great to hear from you. Good job on keeping up with the running. I'm so blue about running, but I'm not going to stop trying. Doc told me to come see him when I want the next one taken out (more surgery). I asked if I could make it a year without the surgery and he said "sure, if you wrap your feet in bubble wrap". :-(

At any rate I'm going to try to do W1D1 tonight and see what the feet feel like. It's hard trying to start again, knowing I'll need more surgery again soon. Maybe I can hold out until November again and have my thrid Thanksgiving in a row on crutches. I think people think Im a surgery adict. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Kathy, definitely take lots of pics!

:mad: I just started Couch to 5K today! It was invigorating!!

I increased my jogging speed progressively and I also did 10 mins on the ellyptical and the stair stepper! Whoo! My husband also agreed to join a gym with me (I've been trying to get him to join for 10 years) so I'm feeling really good tonight.

I found out late last week that the trip to the Olympics is off. There were some "political" issues at work and another dept got really mad that my dept got to send people and they didn't, so they flat out cancelled it. I'm so bummed out and really deflated. I'm just now getting around to telling people.

It seems like every time I am given something amazing, something happens to ruin it. So, sorry... no pics to share.

Suzanne... so sorry about the foot again. I hope the running is going to work for you.

Carol... nice to hear from you.