Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

I thought of something I wanted to add.

I use a 5K route to do the C25K program on and then I walk the rest of the way home after I am through running my specified time. So yesterday when I quit at 25 min instead of 28 I was really mad at myself and gripping about how I didn't do as well as I wanted to when I realized I am mad at myself for running 25 min! That is the stupidest thing, 8 weeks ago I couldn't run at all and now I am beating myself up because I may have to do a week over? Seriously, I had to give myself a reality check.

I hope everyone is proud of the accomplishments that they have made so far, if you are doing any exercise at all that is an improvement and you should be proud of yourself. I am going to be.:thumbup:

Question: What do you do on your off days?

I'm thinking of maybe riding the stationary bike and some free weights. Or Zumba cause a friend got me the DVD of it. I really want to TONE TONE TONE! Any suggestions?

Thanks and wish you all the best for this weeks C25K!!

Sandra:tt1::thumbup:

Hi Sandra! Yay for you! :) On my off days, I go to classes (yoga, body conditioning, etc.) or do strength training. I also ride my bike every day, at least 9 miles (to work and back). :eek:

Hey Sandra, Glad your here we needed a few new runners. :thumbup: I know success is measured in different ways but I was never 55 pounds lighter 3 years after any diet so even if you aren't at goal I still consider being 55 pounds down successful. I have not been working out on my off days, I should lift weights but I haven't been.

Vikki-- Congrats on finishing week 1! I bet week 2 will be a breeze for you.

Mariasha-- I started walking the week after my surgery which really helped with the C25K. When did your Dr say you could start?

Liftingchic-- How's it going? Are you on week 7?

I think I am going to have to redo week 8 :lol:. I should have ran Tuesday for day 2 but I had gone out of town and was sick at my stomach from eating out so I ran yesterday instead. I quit at 25 min instead of 28. I think I am running out of gas.

But I read an article on facebooks C25k page yesterday that said people who eat a yogurt 15-30 min before they run are able to run 13% longer. So I am going to try that, I have not been eating before I run, as a matter of fact I have to get up and run earlier. I ran yesterday at 8 am and it was already 85 degrees outside. So I am going to try and not be so lazy and get up about 6:30 eat yogurt and drink Water and then run around 7 am.

Good luck everyone. :)

Hi Leigha! Thanks so much for responding to my post. True, I'm actually very happy for not only having lost but kept off 55lbs. The working out part I've not been big on. That's what I want to work on now that I have a sense of control with the eating part.

And I think you're doing a fabulous job! Even if you have to repeat week 8 the fact that you're not throwing in the towel says a lot! That's awesome!

Congrats to all you ladies that have kept it up and especially for posting too! I love reading everyone's stories. You can learn so much. The bit about eating yogurt before a run is great! I've always wondered if I should or should not eat a lil' something before working out. I do, however, drink a Protein shake after my work outs. I've been told that it's good for your muscles particularly after a work out.

Have an awesome day today people! :eek::blink:

Hi Sandra! Yay for you! :blink: On my off days, I go to classes (yoga, body conditioning, etc.) or do strength training. I also ride my bike every day, at least 9 miles (to work and back). :blink:

WOW! Sorry, I don't know how I missed your post. But thanks for the encouragement. I NEED IT! lol And that's awesome, 9 miles on the bike. I could try to work up to that, something at least to aim for. I would love to try yoga too cause I hear that's really good for you. Especially the weight thing I want to get tone, I hate my jiggly arms!

I had a great work out last night. I can feel it today though!!! I'm a lil nervous about next week, it's week 3. And I'm supposed to run a full 3 minutes. I get a lil winded though doing 90 seconds. I don't want to have to repeat any of my weeks but I suspect I may have too...

Hope you all had a great work out last night!!:bored:

Well I got up this morning at 6:30 to beat the heat and since I didn't have any yogurt I ate cottage cheese instead. Then I waited 30 min and ran. I did really well, I ran the 28 min only stopping to get a drink at 24 min but I put the timer on pause and then ran the last 4 min. It is still taking me 42 min to finish the course but Sunday I start the 30 min runs so maybe I will finish under 40 min next week.

Sandra-- Don't worry about week 3 you can do it!

Well I got up this morning at 6:30 to beat the heat and since I didn't have any yogurt I ate cottage cheese instead. Then I waited 30 min and ran. I did really well, I ran the 28 min only stopping to get a drink at 24 min but I put the timer on pause and then ran the last 4 min. It is still taking me 42 min to finish the course but Sunday I start the 30 min runs so maybe I will finish under 40 min next week.

Sandra-- Don't worry about week 3 you can do it!

Hi Ms. Leigha! How was your run on Sunday? I start week 3 tomorrow. Yeay! Tonight though I'm doing upper and lower body toning. I picked up a DVD, Biggest Loser Last Chance Work Out. It's TOUGH!

I actually did pretty good on W2. I realized though I was doing one minute walk intervals instead of TWO minute walks. Day 3 was a breeze compared to days 1 & 2. lol But I'm actually looking forward to my run this week. I've even noticed a slight change in my legs so that really has me excited!

I hadn't thought about how running would tone my lower body. Does it? Or is it my imagination? Cause I would love nothing more than to minimize my legs and thighs! lol

Have a great day and a better week ahead! :scared2:

I think running really tones your legs, in the 8 weeks since I started I have only lost 4 pounds but my thighs have gone from 23" to 22" and no longer touch! :scared2::biggrin::lol:

My 15 year old son ran with me Sunday morning, we went at 7 am so it would be cooler. We ran the whole 30 min and when the time was up we were about 200 yards from the corner so I told him, lets stop when we get to the corner so he then proceeds to sprint to the corner, left me like I was standing still, man it would be nice to have a 15 year old body again!

I ate yogurt before my run and it really helps, I have to get up early because I have to eat so slow in the mornings and it takes 20 min just to eat a yogurt and then wait 30 min after I am through to let it settle.

Congrats on finishing week 2! Let me know how you do this week as well. I am going to run tomorrow and I will graduate on Friday, I am running the 30 min but I am not covering a 5K yet, so I am going to keep stepping up my runs weekly until I am covering the whole distance. So even though I am officially through with C25K I am going to stick around on this thread, if you don't mind. :blush:

I havent really been following it Leigha :ohmy: I am bad.

Last week I ran 3 times, 2.15 miles; 2.5 miles ; 2 miles.

Today I ran 2.5 miles today.. I feel good! I love running, its like a natural High.. I cant believe I am running this far at 260+ lbs..

Signed up for a 5k at the End of August.

I am going to run tomorrow and I will graduate on Friday, I am running the 30 min but I am not covering a 5K yet, so I am going to keep stepping up my runs weekly until I am covering the whole distance. So even though I am officially through with C25K I am going to stick around on this thread, if you don't mind. :ohmy:

I graduated C25K May 8th and I have yet to be able to run the 5K distance in 30 mins. I'm down to 31:06 - getting closer! I've run three 5K's races and an 8K. I have another 8K on the 4th of July that I'm excited to see if I can improve on my time from my first race. I'm running a 10K in August and another in October. I also have a 5K in October and I'm hoping with all the distance training I'll be able to make my 30 minute mark. :eek:

Hey everybody!

Czy, a 8K on the 4th of July! Holy crap how hot is it going to be? And 2- 10K's? Your my hero.

Lifting-- If you can run 2-2.5 miles, I don't think you need the C25K. I could barely run the 60 seconds when I started so I had to do the whole thing.

I ran W9D2 this morning in glorious cloud cover and 75 degrees at 7:30! Woo hoo! It felt so good that I kept running after my 30 was up as a matter of fact I ran the whole rest of the 5K! So I walked the first .35mi in 5 min and then ran the rest of the 5K, WITHOUT STOPPING! (OK stopping to cross the street but thats all) On Friday I am going to try and run the whole 5K with no walking and I hope to be under 40 min.

Here is my new plan, as soon as I can cover the 5K with no walking I am going to restart the c25K program but instead of walking I am going to do my regular jogging speed and when it says run I am going to run faster and hopefully build up my speed just like I built up my running.

I downloaded iMapMyRun on my iphone and it uses the gps to track my run, show my time, min per mile and lots of cool stuff and then you can save it and go to the website to see graphs and other stuff plus post it to Facebook.

I also ran with a bottle of Water today, I wake up early and drink a glass of Water and then I eat yogurt before I run but it takes me 20 min to eat it and then I wait 30 before I run which doesn't leave me any time to really get hydrated. So I took the water and sipped some at the stop lights and it seemed to help as well. Of course, it also wasn't 400 degrees like usual so maybe that was part of it too.....

Hey everybody!

I ran W9D2 this morning in glorious cloud cover and 75 degrees at 7:30! Woo hoo! It felt so good that I kept running after my 30 was up as a matter of fact I ran the whole rest of the 5K! So I walked the first .35mi in 5 min and then ran the rest of the 5K, WITHOUT STOPPING! (OK stopping to cross the street but thats all) On Friday I am going to try and run the whole 5K with no walking and I hope to be under 40 min.

Here is my new plan, as soon as I can cover the 5K with no walking I am going to restart the c25K program but instead of walking I am going to do my regular jogging speed and when it says run I am going to run faster and hopefully build up my speed just like I built up my running.

I downloaded iMapMyRun on my iphone and it uses the gps to track my run, show my time, min per mile and lots of cool stuff and then you can save it and go to the website to see graphs and other stuff plus post it to Facebook.

I also ran with a bottle of Water today, I wake up early and drink a glass of water and then I eat yogurt before I run but it takes me 20 min to eat it and then I wait 30 before I run which doesn't leave me any time to really get hydrated. So I took the water and sipped some at the stop lights and it seemed to help as well. Of course, it also wasn't 400 degrees like usual so maybe that was part of it too.....

Sounds like a plan Leigh.. I think that will help... Do you have a 5k race planned?

Wish i had an Iphone :) Thought about getting the nike running thing you put in your shoe.

I think i am going to continue to just run 2 to 2.5 miles and try to pick up the speed a little. When I run on the treadmill I am only running like 5.0 mph (which is 12 min mile, nothing to call home about) I think i run faster if i run outside but honestly its way to hot here to be running and I work 2p to 11p and I cant run after work cause it dark and by the time i get up in the AM its hot out already.

I did it! W9D3 today, I ran the whole 5K without stopping. It took just over 41 min but I am so proud of myself.

I did it! W9D3 today, I ran the whole 5K without stopping. It took just over 41 min but I am so proud of myself.

Awesome! way to go!

WOOHOO!!! Way to go!! You rock! :tt1:

I just got back from my run, I was going to start working on speed but I was still struggling to finish so I have decided to just run this week at whatever speed I can and just practice finishing the whole 5K without stopping and work on speed next week.