Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Hi Guys,

Well, here I am just a couple of weeks from my 5k and my foot decides to protest. I have a Morton's Neuroma in my left foot and am scheduled to have it removed 5/19. Suddenly the thing has decided that even my roomy, cushy shoes are not enough, it's going to hurt anyway. It pretty much feels like I'm walking around with a bumble bee in my shoe and I get stung with every step. :lol:

I'm struggling now with what to do. I thought if I iced it and went easy on the treadmill (the road is what caused it to flare up), that maybe I could get back to it. I ran 1.5 miles on Wed night and it was too much, I had to quit. Tonight I'm going to try to walk my property, down a hill, then flat, then up a hill, but on grass. Not sure if I can even do that. :w00t:

I'm seriously bummed. I think I'll end up walking the 5k instead of running and how am I going to maintain my endurance and muscle tone from now until the end of June (when I hope to be able to run on it again)? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :)

Edited by SuzanneG

I just talked to my podiatrist. He basically told me that I'm not going to do any damage to it by running on it. He said to ice it and that it was OK to push through the pain.

I asked if I should reconsider running and was I possibly going to cause a new neuroma from running . He said it was possible, but he said :

"People don't die from sore feet, but they do die from heart and lung disease".

I love that quote! He told me I'm doing way more good by running than any bad I could do to my feet.

I feel better now! I'm going to try to push through and get my race on!

Edited by SuzanneG

Ok the Nike+ "Spring Fling" challenge is set up. Starts Sat and runs until May 31. I've sent out the invites to everyone I know on the thread with a Nike+. If you have one and didn't get an invite... send me your email address.

Thanks for setting it up Kathy! I need the motivation, lol.

Watch out everyone... I've decided to train for a half marathon so my miles will be going up in the challenges!

Good for you! Keep us posted on your training. Good luck with it!

I just talked to my podiatrist. He basically told me that I'm not going to do any damage to it by running on it. He said to ice it and that it was OK to push through the pain.

I asked if I should reconsider running and was I possibly going to cause a new neuroma from running . He said it was possible, but he said :

I love that quote! He told me I'm doing way more good by running than any bad I could do to my feet.

Glad you can still run! Hope the pain eases off for you.

Wow, Suzanne...I think im in love with your podiatrist! Thats an awesome quote. And even better is that im glad u decided to push past the pain and do the 5k. youve worked so hard for it and u deserve to have all the success you can have.

That right there is an inspiration for me since Ive still been hurting with bunions or something. It's weird-for me, i hurt when walking but the pain seems to go away during the run intervals. Go figure... tonite i'll do W5D2 and im looking forward to it. I cant wait to see if i can do it. I'll let you all know one way or the other when im done.

Tc and good news, Suzanne

Carol

Suzanne... my heart goes out to you... what a pain! Literally! I've never heard of what you have, so my advice might be totally whacked... if so, ignore it. Have you tried taping up your toes or wherever it is that hurts to cusion it a bit during the running? I hope you are able to push through the pain, at least until your race. Don't worrry about losing tone, when the race is over of after your surgery, do some free weight exercises. That will keep you going for awhile.

I ran tonight. It was so warm out that I ran in shorts and a Tshirt. I'd like to say it felt great, but it didn't. I hadn't drank any Water all day, so was dehydrated, and I haven't run enough lately, so it was a struggle the whole way. But it left me with the knowledge that I want to run so I'll have to go back to the basics to rebuild my endourance.

No better time like the present. I'm 3 months away from my 2nd bandaversary, so would like to try and reach my goal by then or get really close! Game on!

BTW, I went and got a few new outfits... Size 13/14!!! I didn't have to pour myself into them anymore... they fit!

OMG!!! time to crow again. YAY me! i just got home from W5D2 and WOW. 2 - 8 min runs with a 5 min walk interval. i am so proud of myself i could just bust. In each of the 8 min runs i did just under .6 mi. and for u metric ppl that is just under 1 kilometer! that is the farthest ive ever run in a stretch. next is sunday and day 3 i hope i can do it!

thanks for your support!

Carol

MacMadam... you go for it!

Of course, as soon as I said that, my iPod didn't work for my run this afternoon. So no credit for the Nike+ challenge. Pout.

Can I steal that?

OMG!!! time to crow again. YAY me!

Congrats to everyone making their way through this program. I'm so proud of you all!

Carol... congrats on W5D2... you rocked that one! Sending you good thoughts for tomorrow!!!

MacMadam... the challenge started today, so no worries for this challenge!

Well, I feel so much better now! I got out again today and ran much further. I could tell really early into the run that it was going to go better. It was so windy that it almost knocked me over when I ran against it, but I kept going. I did just over 5k. I'm whacked but in a good way!

I was the first to post my run on the challenge.... so for a very brief moment I'm in the lead! LOL, not for long! I'm also in a challenge with my DH and he's kickin my butt!!

Does anyone own a universal gym for the home? I keep thinking that it would be a good investment. I can't afford a really good one, at least not right now, but I was thinking that anything is probably better than nothing, and then I can maybe get something better in the future. I really think strength training is going to be the thing that will get me all the way to goal. Dieting did the first 50, running did the next 60, now I think strength training will do the last 20.

Any recommends on a universal system that won't cost a fortune??

I had a great run again today. I did a short straight run and then did sprints again. This time I started out going for 45 sec at 8 mph. I did quite a few like that, then bumped it down to 45 sec at 7 mph. I'm finally starting to feel like myself again!

I need to get my fanny in gear! I have had a hard time getting back on the road after having a sprained back. I am now off to Cali for a week with my students. I am taking my running clothes and plan on getting in a couple of runs.

I have been swimming and biking, but it has been hard to get back running. Anybody have any advice. This has always been my worst habit; if I stop doing something, I just never seem to get back to it! Argh!!!!!

I need a swift kick in the fanny - any takers?? :laugh:

i really didnt think i could do it, but i did it. i just ran 20 minutes without stopping. i ran around the lake instead of my blocks so its hard to really judge the distance, but i estimate it to be about 1.5 miles! W5 is done. not sure if i want to do one more time for the conditioning, any opinions on that are welcome. im sore but a really good sore, so i may take an extra day to recover. not sure. plenty of time for those opinions to roll in about extra days on the 20 min run for conditioning.

tc,

Carol

Hi!

I haven't posted to this thread before but have been reading here for a while. I've been doing the C25K and just finished wk 8. I was banded 2/16/09, was doing C24k before banding and after i went back a couple of weeks and have been building up. I've signed up to run a 5K on 5/16/09. Here's my problem -I'm running the time but no where near the distance and last week i really felt i hit a wall about half way thru the run and had to walk some of it.

So i'm wondering if i'm overtraining, not eating the right stuff before i run? I get up at 4:45, and have a cup of chia latte mix that i make. The mix has nonfat dry milk, Protein Powder, some Equal and spices. I heat it with 8 oz skim milk. I drink that and try to be at the park by 6:00 to start my run. After my run i come home and do a workout video, lately has been the biggest loser power sculpt. On the days i don't run, i walk between 2 & 3 miles and come home and do the biggest loser cardio max video. So i've been doing about an hour to an 1.5 hours of exercise a day. Sundays is a rest day, tho as a family we try to something together, geocaching, a walk or something, but nothing real intense.

Do i need to eat something more before i work out? If so, Protein or healthy carb (oatmeal?)? Am i over training?

My weight loss has kind of stalled at right around the 200 mark. I'm scheduled for a fill this Wednesday, my 2nd. I'm averaging between 65 and 80 gms of protein a day, and between 1000 & 1200 calories. I eat healthy carbs, fruits and veggies. My whole grains consist of steel cut oatmeal for Breakfast and maybe whole grain crackers for lunch. No potatoes, rice, Pasta or bread.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Pat

Georgia... sounds like a great workout... I might try that one soon.

Kristin... I know its hard to get back in gear when you've been off. So here's my official kick in the butt!!! Just go out one day and start, then keep at it. Soon you will get back in gear.

Carol... CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You did it on your first try! I'm so happy for you. My advice... move onto week 6. Now that you've done the 20min run, you really only have 1 week of intervals left and the rest of the time you just add minutes. So I'd just go ahead to week 6 and finish your intervals. Don't be surprised if it seems really hard to run the intervals... many of us found this on w6d1, but rebounded by w6d2.

Scuba... I love your username... I love to scuba dive too... just never get the chance! Wow, you are very very active! What you've outlined leads me to believe you may be needing a bit of a rest. I think your main concern is trying to build your run endourance, so you can run farther. You didn't say how frequently you run, so I'll just assume since you're on week 8, that you run every other day. If you're running more frequently than that, I'd suggest backing off a bit.

I'd suggest you alternate your cardio days (running) with strength training days and not do too much of both on the same days.

Your nutrition sounds great. Lots of balance. Just make sure you're getting enough Water before your run, and I like to have a bit of real Protein, not powder, before too.

Don't worry about your weight loss, you're doing all the right things, and are probably losing lots of fat. good luck!

I have been swimming and biking, but it has been hard to get back running. Anybody have any advice.

i really didnt think i could do it, but i did it. i just ran 20 minutes without stopping.

I felt the same way about that first 20 min. run. I was sure I wouldn't be able to do it!