Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wine is so divine.. or is it? lol

I was reading somewhere about how having a glass of wine is good for you and could help you lose weight.. Well, I never drink wine because I just don't like it very much, and I certainly don't drink during the week when I have to work..

but last night I went and bought a bottle of Lambrusco and had half a glass... boy was it good.. then I had another half of a glass... I'm feeling really good now.. then another half a glass.. then I started playing WoW with my hubby.... and listened to music.. I started dancing at my desk uncontrollably.. I mean, I litterally worked up a sweat. I had the whole chair involved.. it was like a 20 minute intense workout.. went and had another glass... played WOW, kicked ass and won 4 battlegrounds... made stupid comments in game like "wine is so divine" and "dancing is fun".. people probably thought I was nuts considering most of the people on there are 16 year old nerdy boys...

Didn't go to bed till 2.. woke up with red tongue and teeth ... and yes, I brushed them.. still slightly a pinkish hue even today. lol.

But, I lost 1 pound. HA HA..

So now I wonder.. isn't there such a thing as transferred addiction? like what if I become some raging wine alcoholic playing WoW and dancing in my chair everynight??

Do I need help???? Because even as I type this, all I keep thinking about is the rest of that wine and how I want just one more glass tonight....after I work out of course. lol.

Edited by coolcrystal

You are funny. Run to the quickest AA meeting. LMAO. Seriously, I love lambrusco and you just described me when I drink a half bottle of the wine. My husband tells me that my cheeks get rosy and I talk a lot. I just had my first fill today and I am going to wait until the first part of next week to finish my bottle of wine. I say just enjoy and don't over endulge too much because you don't need all those extra calories.

I play WoW too.... wine and WoW can be a pretty dynamite combination.... and you know, it's funny, but I seem to lose weight a little bit faster when I have a glass of wine or so. I haven't had any wine in 2 weeks now and I've had my slowest rate of weight loss yet!

One time does not an addict make. However, be careful. You may find this interesting - Bariatric surgery trades obesity for alcoholism

Before you belly up to the operating table for that bariatric surgery, take note that while you might be eliminating the consequences of one form of compulsive behavior — overeating — you may not be dealing with the underlying cause, and if that cause goes untreated, you could find yourself merely engaging in “addiction transfer” — and in the grip of some new and different compulsive behavior such as alcoholism, chain smoking, obsessive gambling or binge shopping.

Forget the wine.... I can drink that... It's WOW that's too addicting for me :blushing:

My poor priest she is stuck at max level with uber gear but I cancelled the account because like you said... Wine, WOW, dancing chair. Nuff said lol

You guys are so funny! I need to go find out what the WoW thing is. Also, I've had a half bottle of wine in the fridge since Easter. Maybe it's time to clean the fridge! Thanks for the laughs and seriously, what is Wow?

You guys are so funny! I need to go find out what the WoW thing is. Also, I've had a half bottle of wine in the fridge since Easter. Maybe it's time to clean the fridge! Thanks for the laughs and seriously, what is Wow?

WOW is a Massive Multi Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) You pick a character to be and you work through quests to achieve armor and better skills for your character. You have to group with other people from around the world to complete the missions.

In some cases you actually fight against other people around the world... Hence Battlegrounds :blushing:

Mine is a Night Elf holy priest named Anarielle on Shadowsong :hurray:

Edited by Brandy~

Mine is Ellise , level 49 Shadow priest.. Chromaggus server. lol. And I love battlegrounds. I'm geared up with purples and blues and trying to get my new boots right now.

It is fun for sure. I don't think I'll transfer my addiction to alcohol as I'm really not a big drinker.. actually the last time I've been drunk was at my bachelorette party over a year ago.. but last night I was definitely tipsy..

If it becomes a habit I'll make sure to check myself and not go too far..

WOW = World of Warcraft. It's mostly a guy game, but it's fun. It does cost a monthly fee of like 15 bucks and it helps to have somebody show you what to do. I teased about the 16 year olds.. actually theres a lot of older men on there too.. my husband being one of them and most of his friends play too. If you're a chick in the game you get hit on A LOT actually. lol

Somebody mentioned the calories in a glass of this wine and I looked it up and its only 40 calories and nothing else.. no carbs or anything..

I love me some good sweet wine too. I never was a wine person till we moved to Fort Drum and went to the winery up there. Make my mouth Water just thinking about it. I normally gain weight when I drink it though, I think it makes me retain Fluid or something.

BrandZski,

A warning should be issued here! WoW is World of Warcraft, a very addicting, family destroying game!

This coming from a WoW widow. Here I am sitting on my bed w/ my laptop, while hubby is in his customary place at his computer playing WoW. From the time he gets home from work, until he goes to bed, he is there. It is ruining our relationship but he doesn't believe it. He cuts back here and there, but it's like an addiction, he always goes back to it.

Our yard hasn't been mowed in about 2 months, the cars don't get washed unless i do it when i get gas, he has a pile of 2 ltr soda bottles that possibly about every other week he finally gets rid of them. I do enough with my own job, being a mom and the extra work i bring home that i do not do his work for him.

My DH and I are leaving next week for vacation. Where???? To Carmel, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Big Sur area of California. We'll be touring the wine country!!! I enjoy white wine a lot. Red makes me ill for some reason..... ????? Not sure why. But I do have a glass or two on occasion. I seem to lose when I drink wine too, but I always thought that it was because I was slightly dehydrated from the alcoho. who knows. But, my doctor said he didn't have a problem AT ALL with a glass of wine now and then. So I do. I want to enjoy life, and this is something I enjoy. Will let you know how the wine country tour went...

I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. It is fairly common.

Me and my hubby only play WOW when we have nothing else going on in our lives that takes precendent. But, we are so busy most of the time, so we only get to play MAYBE 2 times a week. We go on a lot of trips, parties, and work out almost every night. I told him if it ever got addicting that I'd throw our computers out. So, only when there is nothing else going on in our lives and all other responsibilities are taken care of do we play Wow.

But, some folks DO get addicted. One of my friends cancelled on coming to our wedding last year for a stupid "Quest with friends" she couldn't cancel. I was pretty upset over that. When the game becomes more important than life, it needs to go.

Have you thought about cancelling his membership? or getting rid of his computer? or worse.. saying YOU want to play and then pretending to get addicted and flirt with the men and then that will scare the crap out of him and he will stop.. One of my friends did that and now her hubby barely plays. he got all jealous and hated that she was playing too. lol.

I do enjoy playing with my husband because we can do it together and there's a lot of teamwork involved. Again, we don't have kids though, and I know that makes a big difference as well.

BrandZski,

A warning should be issued here! WoW is World of Warcraft, a very addicting, family destroying game!

This coming from a WoW widow. Here I am sitting on my bed w/ my laptop, while hubby is in his customary place at his computer playing WoW. From the time he gets home from work, until he goes to bed, he is there. It is ruining our relationship but he doesn't believe it. He cuts back here and there, but it's like an addiction, he always goes back to it.

Our yard hasn't been mowed in about 2 months, the cars don't get washed unless i do it when i get gas, he has a pile of 2 ltr soda bottles that possibly about every other week he finally gets rid of them. I do enough with my own job, being a mom and the extra work i bring home that i do not do his work for him.

My SIL and BIL are (were) wow players also. Now divorced, same story. They were both addicted. Totally obsessed. She came to visit me and it ruled her entire day. She even texts other players obsessively all day. It was WHACKED.

this is hard for me because we have tried (and tried and tried) several different agreements (raid schedules, specific days to play, etc) but he always falls back into this awful time consuming obsession.

i don't want to make him give up something he enjoys, a hobby would be great-but its beyond a hobby.

yesterday was one of those days that really hit me hard. i came home from work and he (as usual) was playing, having a great time. continued to have a great time all nite. but my daughter came to me and asked why i woke her up (she had slept all day) to do her chores, but he sits there and doesnt do anything to help with the household stuff. I've mentioned this to him, about how even she does more and that when he gets upset that she has a lack of respect for him when he's getting onto her about not doing something, its because of the game.

For the rest of the night, i was upset. But can't talk to him, hard to talk to someone with headphones on. Usually he will at least get off and come to the bed with me, niether of us like to go to bed without the other. But i was too upset, tired of doing everything and just hating that game, so i went to bed.

A while later, something woke me up, he was starting to get ready for bed. He was upset and hurt that i didnt even say anything about going to bed. well, after some talking, he tells that all he needed was "some comfort from my wife."

He had a crappy day at work, and wanted me to tell him "everything is going to be ok." Well, how the hell am i suppossed to know that if all i see is him having a great time on the game. I never know what is going on with him unless i overhear him talking about it to his friend.

I would never cancel his account, i'm just not like that. Maybe i'm just weak, but i think it is his decision. The computer is very expensive, he built it himself and is amazing, so no way i can smash it or put a virus on it like i would want to sometimes.

And he wants me to play, but if i were to start, he would know something was up. Its not my kinda game. I have bought other games, thinking ok, he's a gamer, if i cant beat him, i'll join him, on these games. (wii mario party, ps2 buzz, games like that) We play a few times and he's right back to those games.

i want marriage counseling, have suggested it every time we discuss this. but he's a Marine, and that would be admitting weakness. I just think if someone objective made him realize that he definitely plays too much, it would help. I've even talked about having an intervention, but my son (21 yr old) refuses and it would only be me and my 12 yr old daughter, so i dont think it would be effective.

I just feel trapped in this worsening dilemna.