Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of cancelling surgery

I am scheduled for surgery on Friday. I have wanted this so badly for over a year - never questioned the logic for doing so and couldn't wait to get banded. Then - I spend HOURS on this forum and all I see is the bad stuff.

PBing, sliming, vomiting, slippage, weight gain, slow process, have to be committed, severe incision pain, gas killing me, starving, hungry, port problems, taking forever to hit the sweet spont, nauseous, etc.

It is making me think - THIS IS CRAZY! I feel like I should cancel the whole thing and try one more time on my own, even though I know it won't work. I am scared to death now and I have had all kinds of surgeries and a child and blah, blah, blah and YES - I WANT TO LIVE - but comfortably - not in constant pain and puking day in and day out....am I missing the picture here??? Are we all brainwashed into thinking we have to do something this drastic?

Edited by noahsmomm
forgot an addition

I am scheduled for surgery on Friday. I have wanted this so badly for over a year - never questioned the logic for doing so and couldn't wait to get banded. Then - I spend HOURS on this forum and all I see is the bad stuff.

PBing, sliming, vomiting, slippage, weight gain, slow process, have to be committed, severe incision pain, gas killing me, starving, hungry, port problems, taking forever to hit the sweet spont, nauseous, etc.

It is making me think - THIS IS CRAZY! I feel like I should cancel the whole thing and try one more time on my own, even though I know it won't work. I am scared to death now and I have had all kinds of surgeries and a child and blah, blah, blah and YES - I WANT TO LIVE - but comfortably - not in constant pain and puking day in and day out....am I missing the picture here???

Noahsmom,

Its totally normal to have doubts when the time is close to your surgery. I am 3 weeks out today and I have yet to do any PBing, sliming, throwing up or anything. Just had some gas pain and sorness from the incisions, nothing that I can't handle. Try and think of the positive things and you will soon be over the jitters. Just think: you will be able to tie your shoes, paint your toenails, walk without pain, walk without getting out of breath....many many 'normal' activities that you do will be so much easier. Hang in there and you will be saying what others here say, that its the best decision they ever made for themselves!:)

Bless you - I feel better already. I guess I need to LOOK for the good stuff in these posts. I am seeing too much negative and being doom and gloom - must be the liquid diet making me crazy,

Yes, I know reading all that stuff can totally scare somebody, lord knows it scared me.. but, there are people who post great things and most people who get their bands , well they tend to move on from this forum and just go on living.. they might not need support anymore or realize how much new people need to hear about thier success stories on here.

BUT, I'm here to tell you that I love my band. I've never had any issues with it. I have gotten that stuck feeling, but it doesn't hurt and it was because my fill was too tight at that particular time. Some people get their bands TOO damned tight and that's where 85% of these problems come from. It's actually better to not have it that tight.

Of course the folks who are having problems are gonna post because they are worried or have questions.. so, this is what you'll see the most of, but honestly, for every bad post (that could be fixed with probably an unfill) I bet there are at least 4-5 people who have had 100% no problems or issues with their bands and are 100% happy.

In the end, make sure its not that you are just nervous about the surgery, because once you cancel, it probably wont' be easy to reschedule it if you change your mind.

If you have any questions send me a private email..

Good luck

Edited by coolcrystal

Hi noahsmomm,

I am scheduled for surgery on July 23rd and can not wait. I have actually have actually seen a lot of encouraging things oppose to negative things about the lap band. I too have seen several posting with not so pretty things being said but overall I see a lot more positive or praise about the lap band and how it has changed lives. You are taking a chance when you get the lap band but you also are taking a chance if you don't get it. I come to a point in my life where it came down to do something about my weight or chances are something serious can possibly be in my near future. Make a list of pros & cons about getting the lap band and living your life the way things are now. I did and Lap band is my choice. Bottom line is how bad do you want to change and do you have the desire for to take the weight loss journey via the lap band. Think it out. Wishing you best on your decision.

Bless you - I feel better already. I guess I need to LOOK for the good stuff in these posts. I am seeing too much negative and being doom and gloom - must be the liquid diet making me crazy,

Ahh yes, the evil liquid diet. That will make anyone crazy. I think if you make it thru that, the rest is easy. and you will make it. Just a few more days. THEN...more liquids...post op lol. But you will be on the other side with more substantial food to look forward to. Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing. It really does get easier every day.:)

People tend to ask more questions when they are having negative feelings or make more comments when its a negative feeling.. This is probably why you feel you are encountering negativity.

I can't speak for anyone but myself which is 100 % positive so I will give you my story :)

I had surgery on 4/23. I didn't have hardly any pain at all I didn't even take the pain meds they gave me. I was back at work within just a few days. I have lost 29 pounds and just had my first fill. I hit my sweet spot on my very first fill and now I am loving life. I eat 1/2 cup of food for each meal and I am full all the time... never a hunger pain :tongue: Theres hope and many positive outcomes.

I wish you a very speedy recovery!

Hi Noahsmom - I felt the same way as you did right before my surgery. I wanted to cancel, but I'm glad that I didn't. I was like, what the heck am I doing?!

My surgery was painless and I have had no problems with my band. I don't get my 1st fill until 7/7 and unfortunately, I can eat whatever I want, so all I'm trying to do right now is to not gain any of the weight I've lost back.

You have to remember that not all posts on this forum are negative. There are lots of positive posts. I think it's only natural to feel scared and wanting to back out, I know I did. I also knew that I couldn't lose the weight alone, so I went with it. Do you know anyone who had the band or have a support group near you who you could contact and discuss your fears? I wish you luck in your decision - I know it's a difficult one. Brenda

Guest Leslie2Lose

Noahsmomm - Hang in there - you are probably getting cold feet. I got them, I was so nervous before my surgery. I really freaked out a couple of days before hand. Now saying that - make sure that this is something that you want to do and that you are ready. I'm sure if you are a year out already you've done your research. I'm not trying to discourage you by any means - I love my band. But, I don't believe in doing anything unless it is something you are ready to do.

There have been some negative posts lately, but this site is also wonderful source for information. There is so much more positive here than negative. Yes, you will probably have a bad day every now and again. There may be PBing or sliming at some point. You do need to prepare yourself for the chance these things can happen. They shouldn't deter you from being banded though. If they do then maybe you should re-evaluate why you want this done. Check out the progress pics thread, the NSV's and the support that is offered here.

One thing for sure. As long as you come here you are not alone. I hope you can come to a decision. You need to do what is right for you.

"PBing, sliming, vomiting, slippage, weight gain, slow process, have to be committed, severe incision pain, gas killing me, starving, hungry, port problems, taking forever to hit the sweet spont, nauseous, etc."

Increased chance of cancer, heart attack, diabetes, shortness of breath, being unable to do the fun things you would like to do, looking like crap . . .You can dwell on the down side, but the upside is more important for me.

Yes, I have pb'd and slimed. I consider them a warning from my band that I haven't done what I need to do. If I didn't have uncomfortable results from being banded, I would still be eating like I was when I weighed 255. I've had two fills, and will never need another to reach goal. Gas pains were minimal. Surgery pain was not even worthy of the pain pills I was given; I still have them in a drawer. I'm never physically hungry except when it's meal time and I need to eat, although I still get the munchies from time to time. I have never gained weight (except for the normal variation of a pound or two during the day) since I was banded. I will reach goal within the next two months, which would be 10 months from my surgery date. I've never been nauseous, except when I tried liquid Vitamins. Bleagh!

We don't often come on here to start a thread about how wonderful things are. We post when we have a problem, which means you see a lot more problems on a forum like this than you do glowing reports. Plus, many of us who are very successful are simply out there living our lives rather than obsessing about our bands and living our lives on this forum--no negative posts, please, I'm as guilty as anyone!

You do have to be committed. I must admit I have little patience for people who want to cheat on their post op diets, complain they can't eat like pre surgery, and feel that the discomforts of surgery without complications is unbearable. The desire to get off the diet roller coaster and away from a life of obesity has to be worth going through a few weeks of soreness and discomfort. I do have to watch what I eat and keep a little mental count of calories every day because I am a snacker and I will absent mindedly eat too much even now. But the difference with the band is that I can stop myself, and before I couldn't. I would tell anyone in a hearbeat that the results of banding have been well worth any minor problems I have had.

i'm a little more than 60 days post-op and have experienced everything that you're worried about.... BUT i'm so glad i got banded.

i almost cancelled my surgery because i wanted to give it "one more try" but like you said... it won't work. i don't even really remember the pain after surgery or the pre-op yucky liquid phase. i just know that i feel good NOW.

I have my surgery scheduled for 7/7 and just started the liquid diet today and I am seriously wondering what the hell am I doing?? I can understand completely how you feel. I would love to stay in touch. Email me! :) Anne

I was apprehensive before the surgery but it went so well for me. No PBing, vomiting, etc. Some gas but nothing I haven't experienced before. I am a lot older than you and doing well. Hope things work out well for you.

ALL THE THINGS THAT YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT HAVE PROBABLY HAPPENED TO SOMEONE AT SOMETIME BUT NOT TO EVERYONE ALL THE TIME!!!

I WAS BANDED ON 10/16/07, I HAVE 3CC'S IN A 10CC BAND AND I AM ONLY 50 LBS AWAY FROM MY GOAL. I HAVE PB'D AND I HAVE SLIMMED BUT YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO YOUR BODY AND CHANGE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE, SO THAT YOU DON'T DO THIS. IF I DO THESE THINGS THE FIRST THING I LOOK AT IS HOW FAST I ATE OR WHETHER I CHEWED ENOUGH OR NOT. I HAVE ONLY FOUND 1 THING THAT I JUST CAN'T EAT AND THAT IS BEEF STEAK. CAN'T CHEW IT ENOUGH. THIS IS DIFFERENT FOR ALL!!! DON'T BE AFRAID, THIS IS A LIFE CHANGE HOWEVER, IT ISN'T A BAD ONE, IT IT FOR A HEALTHIER YOU!!! I STILL EAT NORMAL, IT WAS BEFORE THAT I WASN'T EATING NORMAL... YOU JUST HAVE TO LEARN TO SLOW DOWN, CHEW MORE AND RELIZE THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO EAT JUST BECAUSE IT IS lunch TIME... YOUR BODY WILL LET YOU KNOW, IN A GOOD WAY THAT YOU NEED TO EAT AND YOU WILL FEEL BETTER THAN YOU EVER HAVE!!! :) HANG IN THERE, YOU CAN GET THROUGH THE liquid diet AND THEN AFTER SURGERY IT IS ALL UP HILL. YOU WILL HAVE TO EXPECT SOME CHANGES BUT CHANGE ISN'T FOR THE WORSE....!!!!:tongue: