Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op: weak and light headed

Hi all

Advice please!.. My surgery was on the 18th June. I am on Clear liquids for the next two weeks. My diet sheet consists of:

Water

tea (black and herbal)

fat free milk

fresh fruit juices (no pulp)

broth (chicken, meat or vegetable)

I have been drinking a lot of flavoured Water, regular water and teas.

My Breakfast is usually warm milk with sweetener

Lunch: Soup and fruit juice

Dinner: Soup and fruit juice

I will have a SF Jello as a snack.< /p>

I am not hungry at all. I have very little appetite. But I am drinking my fluids. I just feel SO weak and light headed!.. I took a short walk yesterday for about 15 mins and had to lie down for a few hours afterwards..

I am buying some Protein drinks tomorrow so I am hoping they help.

any advice greatly appreciated!

I think you are missing the Protein. Any time I was on a liquid diet the most important thing was that I get my protein - 60-70 g per day. I use a product called New Whey. It is 42 g in a 3.1 vial. I also have a milk Protein Shake. I think too that to feel a little foggy and dopey when only eating liquids is somewhat normal - your electrolytes are probably messed up. It could also be the anesthesia. It takes awhile to get that stuff out of your system. Two weeks of liquids is a long time - especially after surgery - my opinion, as I don't know what other doctor's are doing.

I'd say it was a combination of two things - lack of Protein and ketosis. From what I can tell you're getting very, very few calories and you're probably burning through your body's energy stores very quickly. When you're on a very low carb diet your body goes into ketosis. This is a process that converts fat and muscle for energy. Symptoms of ketosis include headache, light-headed, dizzy, grouchy, bad breath and body odor. Not glamorous but it drops weight fast.

What were the instructions you received from you doctor on post op diet? I've never heard of one that didn't include Protein shakes.

I am three days post op and on Clear Liquids for one week. I have been drinking Isopure Protein Drinks. They are not the powder one, which I can start on stage 2, but they are clear in 20 oz. bottles, and have 50gr. of Protein in them. They come in many different flavors, but they are a little pricey, but it's worth it. I mix one half of the bottle with some Water and ice cubes and a little splenda and mix it in the blender. It's hard for me to get a lot of the liquid requirements down, but I just keep the cup near me and take sips all day long, and when that runs out, I finish the rest of the bottle. I also have the Pedialyte (however you spell it) for dehydration. They are regular pops that go in the freezer. So far it's been working for me and a good way to get the protein in. :)

I am going to contact my doctor today. The list was as I stated it. no Protein shakes mentioned at all..and very clear on fat free milk.. I guess as it is almost clear!!..

Unlike you lucky guys in the US. I cannot get anything here. There are no sugar free ice lollies, no sugar free Jello..( I thought I bought SIN sugar.. but it was SIN fat.. damn it)... and there are no Protein drinks here .. the clear kind. only the old fashioned shakes they give to old people and body builders... so am a bit of a loss for diet!!...

will let you know what the doctor says. I only have just over a week of clears left anyway. .and still no appetite. I guess once I get onto full liquids the Protein Shakes will make all the difference.