Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unexplained pain... and more.

Okay, I'm going to try and not write a book... but I have some questions that I thought other banders might be able to at least shed some light on.

I was banded many moons ago (2001 I think - although oddly I can't really remember). I did okay at first, lost about oh 70 lbs. Then I fell down the stairs and the tubbing broke away from the port and wrapped around my spleen and diaphram. I had emergency surgery to have it fixed. They moved my port location... and when I was healed enough to have it filled, I did so. It was a horrible experience getting it filled though... and I have to admit that I've been VERY gun-shy about seeing the Dr. about my band for any reason since. It has been several years now... Shame on me, but its the truth and I know I've been neglectful.

I pretty much have gotten sick when I eat from day one. I don't get that "full" feeling. I just suddenly have to run to the toliet and the food just comes back up. Which of course leaves me feeling hungry still... bad cycle. In any case, I've gradually gained most of my weight back.

Now, for the past year or so... I've been having night issues where I suddenly wake up feeling like I'm choking... I end up coughing and that sends me to the toilet to get sick. Sometimes it looks like mucas or what I would consider sinus stuff (yes, gross... sorry) and sometimes its clear and foamy. It has gotten worse and occurs every night now... sometimes 3-4 times. It only occurs when I'm laying down for awhile... about 20 mins after I lay down (any time of the day or night) and I'm choking and getting sick. I've been told that it is acid reflux. But man... it doesn't seem like it to me. It doesn't have that "acid" feel to it.... It doesn't burn, it doesn't irratate my throat or anything.

So... to make matters worse (the book is forming, sorry), a week ago my sweetie was goofing around and placed his elbow on the area where my port is (not knowing of course) and the phone rang or something so when he shifted his weight to get up... I felt an amazing pain in the spot where my port is. Since that time, my whole stomach has felt all wrong. I don't know how else to explain it. I'm not in a lot of pain, but I'm extremely uncomfortable... can't lay on my side, can't really bend over, feel VERY bloated... and there is a dull ache like I've been leaning against a railing for hours with my stomach, and back.

I went to the Dr. and they did the floroscopy (sp?) to see if the band slipped or the port had broken away from the tubbing... and they said everything looked fine - with the exception that the port may have flipped and that I'm apparently too tight (which means I've been too tight for about 4 years now since I last had it last filled - yikes).

But that doesn't explain to me why I'm having such an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach area. So much so that I can barely sleep... and I can barely think about anything else.

I'm so frustrated... so far this band hasn't done me much good and has only caused me discomfort. I feel incredible guilt though, because I know my own actions (or lack of) is the reason... and I feel that I've failed myself. But now I'm almost to the point that I just want it removed *whimper*.

I was just curious if anyone else has had similar problems?

I get the same ache in my port area when I have overdone my exercising. My doctor prescribes an anti-inflammatory regimen (3 days) and a heating pad. Usually after a few days the pain goes away.

Remember, the band is only a tool. You know (having already lost 70 pounds) that you must put forth an effort for it to work for you. Don't be hasty about getting it removed, give the band a chance!! Get your port fixed, get an unfill, get back on track with your eating and excercising routine and I am sure the weight will start coming off once again.

Okay, I'm going to try and not write a book... but I have some questions that I thought other banders might be able to at least shed some light on.

I was banded many moons ago (2001 I think - although oddly I can't really remember). I did okay at first, lost about oh 70 lbs. Then I fell down the stairs and the tubbing broke away from the port and wrapped around my spleen and diaphram. I had emergency surgery to have it fixed. They moved my port location... and when I was healed enough to have it filled, I did so. It was a horrible experience getting it filled though... and I have to admit that I've been VERY gun-shy about seeing the Dr. about my band for any reason since. It has been several years now... Shame on me, but its the truth and I know I've been neglectful.

I pretty much have gotten sick when I eat from day one. I don't get that "full" feeling. I just suddenly have to run to the toliet and the food just comes back up. Which of course leaves me feeling hungry still... bad cycle. In any case, I've gradually gained most of my weight back.

Now, for the past year or so... I've been having night issues where I suddenly wake up feeling like I'm choking... I end up coughing and that sends me to the toilet to get sick. Sometimes it looks like mucas or what I would consider sinus stuff (yes, gross... sorry) and sometimes its clear and foamy. It has gotten worse and occurs every night now... sometimes 3-4 times. It only occurs when I'm laying down for awhile... about 20 mins after I lay down (any time of the day or night) and I'm choking and getting sick. I've been told that it is acid reflux. But man... it doesn't seem like it to me. It doesn't have that "acid" feel to it.... It doesn't burn, it doesn't irratate my throat or anything.

So... to make matters worse (the book is forming, sorry), a week ago my sweetie was goofing around and placed his elbow on the area where my port is (not knowing of course) and the phone rang or something so when he shifted his weight to get up... I felt an amazing pain in the spot where my port is. Since that time, my whole stomach has felt all wrong. I don't know how else to explain it. I'm not in a lot of pain, but I'm extremely uncomfortable... can't lay on my side, can't really bend over, feel VERY bloated... and there is a dull ache like I've been leaning against a railing for hours with my stomach, and back.

I went to the Dr. and they did the floroscopy (sp?) to see if the band slipped or the port had broken away from the tubbing... and they said everything looked fine - with the exception that the port may have flipped and that I'm apparently too tight (which means I've been too tight for about 4 years now since I last had it last filled - yikes).

But that doesn't explain to me why I'm having such an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach area. So much so that I can barely sleep... and I can barely think about anything else.

I'm so frustrated... so far this band hasn't done me much good and has only caused me discomfort. I feel incredible guilt though, because I know my own actions (or lack of) is the reason... and I feel that I've failed myself. But now I'm almost to the point that I just want it removed *whimper*.

I was just curious if anyone else has had similar problems?

You almost described my life to a "t" since being banded in May of 03.

I have no idea what wrong with me either....the throwing up has been happening for 2 years or so, the pain has been getting worse in the last 2 months esp when I try to sleep on my side(I can't now)...My doctor was in Mexico and I just read a wedsite that said he was killed by a burgler...(Dr. Sanchez).....I hope someone with information reads this and can tell us something.......Kim

First of all you really need to baby yourself for a while and let things calm down. After having thrown up for so long or had reflux everything is HIGHLY irritated. One of the reasons that people who are too tight don't loose weight well is because they tend to eat "easier" foods like soft foods and they end up eating too many calories. They feel hungry all the time because soft foods don't stick with us well.

Once things calm down you can start like a new bandster and work your way to solid Proteins which will keep you full longer. But this will be a slow process.

As far as the stomach pains it could be several things. If your port flipped, it is possible that the stitches pulled loose or just pulled enough to irritate the area. Sometimes I get a pain in my port area because my pants waistline irritates it. You might try something like a body shaper to give you some support. I know they will probably be uncomfortable to sleep in but it's an idea. Get one that just give some support and not one that is too tight. Or you could try to put a pillow under your tummy if you are sleeping on your side for support. If you're having trouble with night time reflux, try sleeping inclined for a few nights, don't eat or drink within 2 hours of going to bed and maybe start taking some Prilosec to calm things down.

Now, having said all of this I want to clarify - I am not a medical person and these are just suggestions. I think that once you get back on the wagon your weight will start coming off. I have heard that when you get an unfill (as in having the port come loose) you may not have the signals quite as strong as before. You don't feel "full" after the band but you get a feeling of satisfaction. If this feeling isn't as strong, go to measuring your food and keeping track of when you ate. I also journal my food. This way you are pretty assured you're not overeating and this will also help with the PBing.

I hope my suggestions can help you. I can imagine how discouraged you must feel right now.

KimberC - There is a website called smartbandsters.com that you might find some help with the situation with your doctor on. They will also help with the other problems you're having (both of you). Both of these websites are very good for information.

Take care and keep me posted on how you're doing.