Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Referrals for SE Michigan/Beaumont Docs

Hi, I'm new here. I'm researching doctors/hospitals for my husband who is considering Lap Band surgery. We're thinking Beaumont (we live in the Metro Detroit area).

Anyone here who has had the surgery through Beaumont? If so, does anyone have a dr. they are very happy with? I'm sorry if these are redundant questions - this forum is HUGE and I haven't had time to search all of the posts. :rolleyes2:

I'm still getting up the nerve to let him have the surgery. I still really like him and would like to keep him around a while longer...LOL...I'm hoping some good experiences with local doctors will get my confidence level up.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by HelpingHubby

Hello HelpingHubby :thumbup: (so sweet of you to help your hubby out by researching for him! :rolleyes2:)

I had my surgery through Beaumont Hospital, my surgeon was Dr. Krause, and I've been VERY happy with both. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't want any other surgeon or hospital. Dr. Krause is highly skilled and also a very nice doctor to talk to - he always takes time for your questions. Experience and skill are first considerations when researching a doctor, but it sure is nice having someone who is pleasant as well. Dr. Krause is the best of both.

Beaumont treated me with stellar care while I was there - from the moment I was admitted to the moment I was discharged, it was like they rolled out the red carpet for me. Everyone was so helpful and nice. I was really nervous, but the staff helped me relax and kept me smiling. A very positive surgical experience. Being an RN myself, I was really impressed with Beaumont. I give Beaumont Hospital five out of five stars for it's great care.

Something else I would suggest to you while you are researching, is to look at the aftercare your husband will receive. Aftercare is so important for success! Beaumont has a weight loss center that offers all kinds of help - doctors that monitor your health as you lose weight (I like it that they monitor my nutritional levels), dietitians to help you make good food choices (and to help you through those plateaus!) plus support groups, exercise physiologist, and even cooking classes.

Good luck with your research! If you have any other questions, I'm always happy to help :tongue2: No question is redundant! Ask away :rolleyes2:

Best of luck to you and your hubby!

Helping Hubby,

I agree with Rhapsody, as far as Beaumont and Dr. Krause. I was just banded by Dr. Krause on June 9th. I suggest that you contact the Beaumont Weight Control Center to find out when their next seminar is. When I went to the seminar Dr. Krause gave an overview along with Dr. Zalesin who is the doctor at the center. Another thing you need to find out is what are your insurance requirements for the surgery. If your husband works along with the Weight Control Center, they will make sure all the appropriate documentation is being gathered. Not sure how much you have investigated yet, but for example BCBS wanted 6 mos history of a supervised diet, psych evaluation, 5 years of weight history, etc.

Good Luck and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

:smile2: Until October 1, I had Cofinity PPOM insurance through my employer. With Cofinity, I needed to be on a 12 month program monitored by a doctor. We changed to BC/BS, which only require 6 months!!! This worked out BEAUTIFULLY considering I had reached my 6 months in September!! So now I have an October 30th surgery date!!!! I was so exited the day I found out, I cried!! I am having my surgery done at Beaumont by Dr. Krause. So far, I am extremely happy with him, his staff and everyone at the Weight Loss Center.

Nicksmommy - congratulations on your surgery date! :):thumbup: You sound so happy and I'm excited for you! Now you can relax and know you will be in the very best of care with Dr. Krause, Beaumont and the Weight Loss Center. I'm eight months after my surgery (and *almost* 70 pounds gone :laugh:) and very pleased with the after-care I've received.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you do, ok?

Thanks Lori - I will!! I love this site!! Everyone is so nice and helpful! I have a surgery date of October 30. I am hoping that I am feeling ok for Halloween the next day! I'm not planning on doing anything major - just going to my sister in laws so my son can go trick or treating with my neices. I should be able to do that, right?? I am starting my liquid diet friday. Are there any driving restrictions after the surgery?

Thanks!

Donna

Thanks Lori - I will!! I love this site!! Everyone is so nice and helpful! I have a surgery date of October 30. I am hoping that I am feeling ok for Halloween the next day! I'm not planning on doing anything major - just going to my sister in laws so my son can go trick or treating with my neices. I should be able to do that, right?? I am starting my liquid diet friday. Are there any driving restrictions after the surgery?

Thanks!

Donna

Donna~ Congratulations on your surgery date! My surgery with Dr. Krause was a 23 hour stay and when it came down to it, I was there a day and a half. So keep that in mind, unless you have some other arrangement. Yes there is definitely a driving restriction. I think it was at least a week. I started driving before that though. All depends if you are taking meds and how you are feeling. As far as how you will be feeling, that is all an individual experience. I felt fine when I came home. I even went out and did some gardening! Which I should have not been bending. So know your limits and listen to your body and don't push yourself. Good luck!

Hi Donna!

Yes I agree with vzghj3 - my hospital stay at Beaumont was also a "23 hour" stay, but I ended up staying about a day and a half too - from about 6am the day of my surgery (my surgery time was at 8am), until about 3pm the next day. They do the swallow the following day, then after that they give you some Clear liquids, once you get that down ok, then you can go home. I went home, showered, then slept for the rest of the day, I just relaxed and took it easy. The only pain I had was in my left shoulder from the gas. Again like vzghj3 said, everyone has different experiences - if you want to go to your sister's house the day you come home from the surgery, as long as you can relax there and just take it easy, you should be ok - but just see how you feel and maybe make alternate plans, just in case. Personally I wouldn't plan a whole lot the day after surgery, but that's me! :laugh: You might be just fine - but you definitely shouldn't plan on driving that day. I don't remember how long the driving restriction was, but I do remember there was one.

Best of luck on your pre-op diet! Again, keep in touch and let us know how you are doing! :wink2:

Hello vzghj3 and Lori :)Thanks for your responses and words of wisdom!! I'm still new at this lapband talk thing, and didn't even know that I had responses!! My surgery went well - it was at 8am on the 30th, and I was out of the hospital by 2pm on the 31st. I did take my son out trick or treating - part of the way anyway!! I was feeling up to it, and everything I read, said to WALK WALK WALK!! It must have done me good, cause I haven't had any problems with gas pains, or pain at all for that matter. I haven't even used any of my pain meds! :smile2: I was feeling a little sore and somewhat uncomfortable at times, but I'm sure that is to be expected!! I am so excited to begin this new journey! :thumbup:

Donna ~ Congratulations on being banded. Happy to hear all went well with your surgery and you are feeling well. :thumbup:

Donna, what good news! :cool2: I'm so happy to hear everything went well for you, and that you were able to still trick-or-treat with your son! That is really special :biggrin: Congratulations on starting your lapband journey! It is exciting beginning a new life and a new you. It's been about 8 months for me now, and I'm still so happy with my lapband. :biggrin: If you ever want to chat about anything, you know where to find your girlfriends here :D

All my best to you!

Thanks Lori - I appreciate it! 8 months and you're down 73 lbs??? Good for you! That is great!! What do you do for exercise? I think I am going to give my body a week or so before I start - maybe treadmill or the bike at the YMCA to start ??

Hi Donna!

Walking seems to be working for me (although I love the bike too). My treadmill is my best friend - when I first started this journey, I could barely stay on it for 5 minutes. Talk about a couch potato, LOL! :thumbup: Now I can stay on for about 50 minutes, although some days I do 30 minutes. I have gradually increased the speed as my body gets used to it. Right now I'm trying to jog on my treadmill instead of just walk fast - and just like walking was in the beginning, it's hard! But I'm hanging in there. I try and do some exercise everyday - although yes, I have those days that I just don't get to it. :) I was sore a lot in the beginning, but as the weight started coming off and my body adjusted, I really started to look forward to my workouts. During the nicer days I do get out on my bike, and during the spring/summer I worked a lot in my yard and gardens.

I haven't joined a gym or anything like that yet, but I'm thinking of giving Curves a try, just to see what it does for me.

Try and do what exercise you can everyday, drink all your Water, get your Protein intake, and listen to the wisdom that your dietitian/nutritionist gives you (I'll admit I've become a bit of a health food nut, lol), and you'll see great results! It can be hard at times as you begin a new way of eating and exercise, but the "old life style" that I was doing - that life style was making me unhealthy - so I always keep that in mind when days get rough, and those awful plateaus hit.

The treadmill or bike at the YMCA sounds like a good start. Did you first ask Dr. Krause when you should start exercising? I waited for my first post-op check up (although I was already walking), and I think he said then that I was ok to do anything. I tend to be conservative and get the professional opinion first - but that's just me :lol: I treat my lap-band carefully, it's been so good to me, I just don't want to mess anything up! :lol: Of course, regular walking is great (and it sounds like you did great at Halloween - I give you credit!:lol:) so I'm sure that's a great way to start.

Good luck, let me know how you do!