Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sensa - 'Sprinkle Diet' on the News

The idea of this product sounds ridiculous to me! "Intensifying" the flavor would just leave me wanting more...

What will they come up with next :rolleyes2:

People! Quit mocking this product!! If it comes from the ulta-prestigious Smell and Taste Treatment Center it's obviously no joke.:biggrin:

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the "smell and taste treatment center" may be the spare bedroom of some dude's house. Until I see the published study, Ima be skeptical.

Plain, that was great . . . you said it all. What a hoot :0)

By the way, medical trials typically have a group following the treatment and a control group utilizing a placebo treatment as well. When people believe something will work for them, it is usual and expected for some behavioral changes to occur. So if I am in the control/placebo group for the sensa sprinkles product, and I think that it should be working for me and I am excited for the change and know I am supposed to feel more full . . . why shouldn't this work if I am actively engaged in thinking about what I am putting in my mouth instead of mindless munching. I may very well lose weight from mindful eating which has nothing to do with the sprinkles.

I am done with diets . . . in the end I only ended up heavier after losing and eventually regaining a little extra than I started with. It is so liberating to have my band work for me and making healthful decisions.

All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you to my wonderful lapband. I have found that good old fashioned exercise, eating organic whole foods and enjoying how my tool is working for me is beating any fad diet. It also makes watching the latest weight loss miracle breakthrough advertisements/articles/etc much more entertaining.

I guess it all depends on what you consider "relatively healthy." The chemicals in it could cause people to get cancer, heart problems, a whole host of diseases that, because they have no long term research, would take a while to figure out. It could encourage people to change their diet, but how many side effects will they see due to the additives?? This to me seems like it would have so many more long term problems than most "fad diets." Maybe im just paranoid.

Make no mistake. I completely agree with you and you have every right to be paranoid of a lot of stuff they put in this crap. My point was that PROVIDING that these chemicals actually are harmless, this is just a seemingly useless fad diet and if on this fad diet, it motivates someone to drop a ton of weight, good for them.

It is obvious no one has bothered to even take 3 min to google info on the dr. before slamming him. Actually the institute he runs is legit and has 70 researchers and is very well known in Chicago. Now I have no idea if the sprinkles are a gimmick or can possibly work. I did order them and they do NOT change the taste of food and there are no chemicals they are flavors which we all ingest every day. Obviously you are all about the lap band on this board and I totally get that and am even considering it myself but figured I have been fat for years so why not hold off a couple of months and see if this works or doesn't work. I'm not pro or con his product but I just find it irritating that people write things that they haven't even taken 5 min to learn about. Anyone who has 1/2 a brain knows sense of smell can affect alot of things so while I don't necessarily think this is the end all be all I do try to be open minded. I figure I have 60 days to get my money back if I don't see any results so I don't really see what I have to lose. My other option is lap band which I have seriously considered but would sure love another route other then surgery but if that is what I end up needing so be it. If not, then even greater. All I am trying to say is do a little research before just writing things you know nothing about. This does not change the flavor of your food to taste like dirt. Also, if by doing it you just automatically reduce what you eat because you think it should work then the placebo group and the group actually using Sensa would have been much closer in weight lose. Sensa users lost over 30 lbs while the placebo group lost around 2 lbs. If this came from some nameless dr. no one has ever heard of then yes I would be VERY skeptical but a well known dr. with a good reputation has an awful lot to use if this is just a gimmick. This is just my take on it and I know most of you disagree which is cool and I might just be one of you in a few months as well. I'll be the first one to say if it doesn't work. I don't mind admitting mistakes and moving on from them.

It is obvious no one has bothered to even take 3 min to google info on the dr. before slamming him. Actually the institute he runs is legit and has 70 researchers and is very well known in Chicago. Now I have no idea if the sprinkles are a gimmick or can possibly work. I did order them and they do NOT change the taste of food and there are no chemicals they are flavors which we all ingest every day. Obviously you are all about the lap band on this board and I totally get that and am even considering it myself but figured I have been fat for years so why not hold off a couple of months and see if this works or doesn't work. I'm not pro or con his product but I just find it irritating that people write things that they haven't even taken 5 min to learn about. Anyone who has 1/2 a brain knows sense of smell can affect alot of things so while I don't necessarily think this is the end all be all I do try to be open minded. I figure I have 60 days to get my money back if I don't see any results so I don't really see what I have to lose. My other option is lap band which I have seriously considered but would sure love another route other then surgery but if that is what I end up needing so be it. If not, then even greater. All I am trying to say is do a little research before just writing things you know nothing about. This does not change the flavor of your food to taste like dirt. Also, if by doing it you just automatically reduce what you eat because you think it should work then the placebo group and the group actually using Sensa would have been much closer in weight lose. Sensa users lost over 30 lbs while the placebo group lost around 2 lbs. If this came from some nameless dr. no one has ever heard of then yes I would be VERY skeptical but a well known dr. with a good reputation has an awful lot to use if this is just a gimmick. This is just my take on it and I know most of you disagree which is cool and I might just be one of you in a few months as well. I'll be the first one to say if it doesn't work. I don't mind admitting mistakes and moving on from them.

Hi Izzabella,

<o:p> </o:p>

Please don't amuse! I actually looked in to this before I made the post.<o:p></o:p>

The only really way to lose weight is with a lifestyle change - eating healthy and exercising even if you have weight loss surgery. <o:p></o:p>

I don't want a quick fix. <o:p></o:p>

The Sprinkle Diet does nothing to help you understand why you are overweight and why you overeat. It’s not a cure for depression, low self-esteem, a lack of nutritional understanding, emotional eating, a sedentary lifestyle, or unhealthy habits. It’s a possible short term fix without any long term health benefits.

I only rely on medical journals. Sensa is not listed in any approved medical journals.

Medical doctors are business people too - they are trying to make a quick buck out of the billion dollar weight loss industry.

If you’re into a lifestyle of whole, clean foods then you sure wouldn’t want to use The Sprinkle Diet because it definitely isn’t natural! What currently approved for use in food products and isn’t healthy? Crystalline fructose, high fructose corn Syrup, Splenda, natural flavors, MSG, and plain old table sugar. None of them are healthy for you, they don’t help you lose weight, and they mess with the chemical balance in your body.

Yeah, I might sound tough, but when it comes right down to it you deserve to do everything you can to provide a healthy, top-notch energy-filled life for yourself. Start treating yourself like you would treat someone that you love with all your heart and soul and give up the hunt once and for all for the magic pill, the quick fix - those quick fixes add up to a lifetime of continual searching and it’s just not worth it.<o:p></o:p>

Here’s to your health - not only in body, but also in mind and spirit.

This does not change the flavor of your food to taste like dirt. Also, if by doing it you just automatically reduce what you eat because you think it should work then the placebo group and the group actually using Sensa would have been much closer in weight lose. Sensa users lost over 30 lbs while the placebo group lost around 2 lbs. If this came from some nameless dr. no one has ever heard of then yes I would be VERY skeptical but a well known dr. with a good reputation has an awful lot to use if this is just a gimmick. This is just my take on it and I know most of you disagree which is cool and I might just be one of you in a few months as well. I'll be the first one to say if it doesn't work. I don't mind admitting mistakes and moving on from them.

Okay, do me a quick favor and find me a link to the study. Find out what kind of study it was, how long it was taken over, and how big the sample was.

Please don't take this as me trying to make you look like an idiot because I'm sure you're not. You have to learn, though, that there are a lot things that you need to know before giving something like this a benefit of the doubt. If you do some research on the laws of supplements, you'll find that they can pretty much label their products however they would like and advertise them in much the same manner. The FDA has a very long, tedious, and trying process to get things approved in, so for a supplement to take the initiative to do that, it is easier to be trusted.

Make sense? Fantastic. Have a good night.

"there are no chemicals, they are flavors which we all ingest every day"

And how may I ask, do they replicate these flavors??? Maybe, possibly, with chemicals. Its the only way. Think about it.

"there are no chemicals, they are flavors which we all ingest every day"

And how may I ask, do they replicate these flavors??? Maybe, possibly, with chemicals. Its the only way. Think about it.

Playing the devil's advocate, TECHNICALLY everything is chemically based. However, it plagues me because how would they ACCURATELY enhance flavors......YARG

I love (loathe) these type of debates. As someone who was a regular for years on the weight watchers message board, you were hardly allowed to speak of any *diet* or pill w/o the same tired arguements, "why would you do that, ww really works and it teaches you to eat right and you get support, etc."

Make the mistake of asking "should I take Alli while on WW" and you get a bunch of sarcastic shitting your pants jokes and how it "doesn't teach you to eat right".

Ask about Lapband over there and you get the "why would you have surgery when you can just follow the plan and lose just as much. Besides, my brothers uncle's 3rd wife-in-law died after getting a piece of sushi stuck in his band!" Ugh.

Sure, the sprinkles diet is a fad, it's silly, whatever. But doesn't everyone have to make their own mistakes? I know I've made mine..cabbage Soup, metabolife, alli, etc. Even Weight Watchers, about 15 times. Yes, I know how to eat, I just don't do it.

I expect the band to be my tool and I'm confident I'll do great, but I don't expect it to be a pychological wonder that gives me insight into why I overeat. I just do. For me, I eat emotionally. I know that, and for whatever reason I can't seem to control it, so I want help. I don't feel the lap band gives me that knowledge, it helps me overcome it. So I guess my point is, everyone has to travel down the road of failed diets and some of us will land at weight watchers, some of us with sprinkles, and some of us with the band. If it works in the long run, then good for you, and if it doesn't, you move on to the next big thing.

My My what a group of sanctimonius fatties. Izabella is right. If it works for someone who only needs to drop 20-30 lbs why belittle them? Obviously people who are 40+ bmi may have psychological, emotional or heredity issues and may not find Sensa to be a cure-all, but some people just eat a little too much and something like Sensa might just make the difference.

And where do you folks get off on this natural crap? Going under anesthesia, swabbing your body with antibiotics and poking a hole in your abdomen then inserting a metal/polyurethane scope into your chest cavity and wrapping a plastic belt around your stomach is natural?

I've struggled all my life to keep my BMI under 30 and would have jumped at this product in a hot New York second when I was younger. Now that my BMI is over 36 I'm still going to give it a try as a last effort to avoid surgery. Wish me luck or call me an idiot. Take your pick?

2MF

O.K. folks, I'm gonna be perfectly honest here. I have the band and I love my band. But having tried everything from the 4 day diet of hard boiled eggs, bananas, and hot dogs (9 eggs day1, 9 bananas day 2, 9 hotdogs day 3 and day 4, 3 of each) To Redux to you name it I tried or done it. If I did not get banded I would more than likely try the sprinkles! Chances are so would most of you! That is what helped us get here in band land. Lose 10 gain 20, over and over again. So I won't bash the ones who try the sprinkles. I wish them luck just like people wished me luck on everything I tried.

I am now done with rant!

How very odd that the only supporting emails are from people who have made exactly ONE post on this site....to support a hinkey product. How the heck did they find the website and this thread in the first place???? Because they went looking for a place to support the product. Next question? Just how much were they paid for those posts? we get paid posters on here supporting Mexican surgeons, etc. The bottom line is if you use some supplement diet aid, the only thing that will get slim (and stay that way) is YOUR WALLET.

P-head,

I couldn't disagree with you more. Ever since I was a teenager I've been prone to being chubby. I've pushed the 35+ BMI on many occasions but through "FAD" diets I was able to keep my weight down to a respectable 25-29 for most of my adult life. Now that I'm over 50 it's not as easy. The joints don't work as well as they once did, the muscles don't react as well or as strongly, so it's very difficult to exercise and diet away those lbs like I did when I was 35.

I've been a voyeur on this site for over a year now and never really had anything to add. Just wanted more info on lap-band surgery and I found it. I ran across the Sensa ad and performed a search on this site to see if anyone had any personal information. Obviously I found a lot of naysayers who knew nothing about the product but spent their time attacking what they did not know or understand.

Your post doesn't illuminate the discourse it only deflects. Thanks for your response but I think I'll continue to research before I have to go under the knife.

And G4E, thank you for your reasoned response.

2MF

My My what a group of sanctimonius fatties.

Sanctimonious fatties?! Well, now. That's a good way to make friends and influence people!

ETA: I don't think Sensa would work for me, but can see how it might for some. FWIW, Alan Hirsch is well-respected; he's an assistant professor of neurology/psychiatry at one of Chicago's most prestigious teaching institutions (and my alma mater). Who knows? He might be on to something--for some people. I will be interested to see where his findings are published.

Edited by WaistBand