Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating real food too soon

OK so heres my place so far lol,

i was banded on june 4th and have had a pretty speedy recover. i was swithced the pureed foods after 4 days and was told i would be starting mushies on the 27th. Yesterday i a a few bites of salad and chewed to the point of exhaustion so i was able to handle it. Today we had a fathers day dinner and i was absolutely horrible. Myh portions werent a problem but im thinking i shouldnt have advanced myself without doctors approval. I had a tiny peice of chiken with Pasta , a very small amount compared to my old eaTING Habits, BUT then i had a sundae when everyone was having dessert. I know i should of said no. But i guess i failed this 1st mini test... Do you think this has ruined the placement of my band at all. i felt slight pressure while eating the real food but it wasnt unbareable. I just ate VERY slowly and paced myself... Im kinda demotivated after this little event.

Hi Mini, Unfortunately ice cream is one of the things that goes down way to easy. My doctor's main concern with eating mushie foods weeks 2 thru 6, was to make sure your stomach healed completely. Try not to beat yourself up over it, but you might try to stick to the soft mushie foods. I had to do Clear Liquids for a week, the full liquids for a week, so by the time I got to mushies foods it was like a feast. Hang in there.

I know all doctors are different but most people are 2 weeks liquids, 2 weeks mushies. I then went to soft foods for a few days. It sounds to me like you've started on solids way too soon and I would be careful from now on. It doesn't mean you've damaged your band but the rules are there for a reason. Put this behind you and start again, this time sticking with it to the end.

There are risks to eating too soon. Digesting foods causes movement in the stomach. Liquids require relatively no movement with solid Proteins requiring the most. The diet progression from liquids to solids is in place to allow your stomach to heal completely before there is too much movement. Not allowing your stomach to heal completely before testing it with solid foods can lead to slippage and possible band removal down the road.

You may be fully capable of eating solid foods now in small amounts, but you may be risking the future health of your band. Most of us have eaten a little more than we should have during the early stages at least once.

The most important thing is to get back on track. It was a special day yesterday and you were a little off plan, today is a brand new day to go back on plan and be successful. Don't forget, this is only a short period and you will be on to normal foods in no time. :0)

My surgeon appears to be a lot more relaxed than most of the doctors we read about on this forum.... he had me on liquids including pureed foods for the first week, and mushies for the second week, then slowly start working regular food in. Even by his relaxed schedule, you've jumped the gun by about 4 days. It doesn't sound like you ate much and probably no harm done, but I'd try to stick to your doctor's orders.... he has a reason for them!

There are risks to eating too soon. Digesting foods causes movement in the stomach. Liquids require relatively no movement with solid Proteins requiring the most. The diet progression from liquids to solids is in place to allow your stomach to heal completely before there is too much movement. Not allowing your stomach to heal completely before testing it with solid foods can lead to slippage and possible band removal down the road.

From what I've been told by my doctors, this isn't true. Digestion takes place through digestive fluids in the stomach pouch, not by movement. When the digestive fluids break down the food particles, they become small enough to slip into and through the stoma, where small fiberous hairs in your intestine move them along the intestinal tract.

The band is tightly placed around the stomach, it's not going anywhere unless some sort of violent activity takes place, like continual vomiting etc...

I wouldn't worry about it, minimeemz. Just be careful in moving too fast, because you could slow your healing progression. I'm one week post-op, and I've cheated a tiny bit, by not straining my cream Soups. I seem to be doing ok, and I really want to move on to mushies but... I think I'll wait a few more days.

Actually, your stomach DOES move during digestion through a process of reflexes called DISTENTION (it's in most health books).

My doctor put it to me like this: he physically stitches the band to your stomach. While his stitches are strong, he doesn't want your stomach moving around too much to mess with his work. It takes 2-4 weeks for stitches on the outside to heal, as they are exposed to air and light. Your stitches on the inside heal in about 6 weeks.

Thus, his program is 2 weeks clear liquids, 2 weeks full liquids, 2 weeks mushies, and then soft foods.

There's nothing you can do about the food you ate now, except get back on the program.

Actually, your stomach DOES move during digestion through a process of reflexes called DISTENTION (it's in most health books).

My doctor put it to me like this: he physically stitches the band to your stomach. While his stitches are strong, he doesn't want your stomach moving around too much to mess with his work. It takes 2-4 weeks for stitches on the outside to heal, as they are exposed to air and light. Your stitches on the inside heal in about 6 weeks.

Thus, his program is 2 weeks clear liquids, 2 weeks full liquids, 2 weeks mushies, and then soft foods.

There's nothing you can do about the food you ate now, except get back on the program.

They physically literly fold a section of your stomach over the band and stich it in place. Yes the stiches are strong, but a layer of scar tissue HAS to grow to hold the band in place for the long term.

From the offical Allergan site (one of the companys that make Lapbands: Lapband.com - The First Few Weeks After Surgery

It's extremely important to follow the eating and drinking instructions immediately after the surgery. This allows your new stomach pouch to heal completely and the LAP-BAND® System to stay in the right position.

Not much can you do about what you have already ate but you should get back on your doctors perscribed diet and follow it. Its for your own safety and success with the band.

I am so concerned about how many people are posting on the boards that they are not following their doctors orders and have cheated on the post-op diet. It concerns me even more when other newly banded people answer their posts and say, "it's OK, I did it and it didn't hurt me".

People, please, please follow your surgeon's orders. If you feel you cannot, don't just take someones advice on this board that you will be OK because they did it, and they are. If you really feel the need to alter your diet, call your doctor!! Tell him how you are feeling. He will either make some good suggestions for you, or tell you to suck it up and stay on your diet as ordered.

You knew what the requirements were prior to getting the surgery and agreed to them and made the commitment to yourself and your doctor. This is not forever, just long enough to let your band heal. Sure, it may feel "OK" going down and you think everything is OK, but you truly don't know what kind of damage you may cause your band long term. I know it is hard, I was on liquids only for 17 days pre-op, followed by almost 3 weeks post op. It sucks, its tough, I love food and I wanted to chew. But, I paid a lot of money out of my pocket for the band, this was my last chance at losing weight and I sure as hell wasn't willing to risk it for one stupid bite of food.

If you find you are hungry, find something else to do to get your mind off food. Go for a walk, read a good book, go shopping, come to LBT and ask us to give you a good kick in the rear, whatever it takes! Just do what you have to do to allow your band to heal, the adhesions and scar tissue to properly form and get you going on your journey to a healthier you.

FYI...the stomach definately breaks down food both mechanically (stomach churning) and chemically (digestive enzymes). I can't stress how important it is to stick to your post-op diet. I know it's difficult for you as it is for all of us but you've put so much time and effort preparing for the band you have to take care of it.

My doctor just put me on soft foods today. I've been eating lots of tuna, other fish and ground chicken. She said I could basicly eat anything, except breads, it just matters how well I chew and how slowly I eat. I am now able to eat alot more than I was a week after surgery, but I do feel full sooner than before. I can eat a good 7-8oz now at a time. My hardest problem is not drinking while eating. I always take a few sips before and after my meals.

The bottom line here folks, is there's no exact science to it. Every Dr has different methods and post-op diet requirements. I had one day of Clear liquids pre-op, and post op was full liquids from day one. My good friend had a 2 week liquid pre-op, and 2 week post-op. Every Doctor has their own method.

Listen to your body, and be extremely cautious with what you do. You may or may not pay for it.

But for anyone on here to presume they know what's best for anyone else, is foolish. We're all different, we all heal differently based on age, race, gender, genetics, etc...

And just because someone is "new" to this forum doesn't mean they're new to the information regarding this lifestyle change. I've been on this journey for over 30 months now. I trust my doctors way before I trust a web forum.

But for anyone on here to presume they know what's best for anyone else, is foolish. We're all different, we all heal differently based on age, race, gender, genetics, etc...

Which is exactly why one should listen to what their doctor tells them, not anyone else.

The bottom line here folks, is there's no exact science to it. Every Dr has different methods and post-op diet requirements. I had one day of clear liquids pre-op, and post op was full liquids from day one. My good friend had a 2 week liquid pre-op, and 2 week post-op. Every Doctor has their own method.

Listen to your body, and be extremely cautious with what you do. You may or may not pay for it.

And just because someone is "new" to this forum doesn't mean they're new to the information regarding this lifestyle change. I've been on this journey for over 30 months now. I trust my doctors way before I trust a web forum.

I agree with you that there is variation in doctors methods and plans. I also agree listening to your body is important.

As far as people making presumptions about whats best for people, reading through the responses to this thread the general theme in almost every response is get back on the doctors plan with some side discussions about reasons why the doctors have the plan. People do heal differently based on numerous factors, but staying on your doctors plan is always best. I didn't see any specific responses stating a person should do something different than this.

You are also correct in that people who are new to the forum may not be new to the bander lifestyle. However, there are plenty of people out there that are new and read these threads as a way of gaining knowledge of how things are going with those people who actually have the band. Of course, the best source for information is your doctor but I firmly believe you learn more by seeking information from multiple sources. Before I was banded, before I even spoke with my doctor, I started looking through forums to get a better "feel" of what it means to be a bandster on a day-to-day basis. I would be very surprised if I am the only person who ever did this.

We trust our doctors with our lives. I certainly would not take advice on a forum that is in direct opposition to what my own doctor has told me. But the whole point of a forum is discussion and support by anyone and everyone who would like to participate.

I am very very happy that there are people who take their time to post thoughts and opinions about their journey. It helps me to feel less alone in this and I feel like there is good advice from veterans that has helped me along the way.