Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

I just got my surgery date. July 16. Yeah! I have a 16 month old son who weighs about 25 pounds. Can anyone give any advise as to after the surgery. How soon would you think I can carry him. The reason I ask is I am a stay at home mom and wondering how long I will need someone here to help me out.

Any advise appreciated!

Lisa

well, i think it all depends. we all recover at a different pace. i have a one year old who weighs about 20 lbs. and my husband stayed home for the week to care for her and our 8 yr. old. I went back to work the second week and I was lifting her but not advised to, just did not have a choice. Could only get a week off :cursing: Under my doctors advisement it was to not lift anything over 5 lbs for 2 weeks. It was a bit of a strain for me, but not to bad. I would have taken a second week to not lift her if I could have though. Best of luck--i know its tough not being able to lift and care for our babies!!! But it is soooooo worth it!!!

Please be careful and only lift when you have to ..

My Dr said no lifting over 20 lbs for 8 weeks.

Each Dr is different but do exactly what your Dr says ..You don't want to undo any fancy stitching ...

Hey, I was banded on May 28th and I have a 19 month old who weighs 30 lbs. I had stayed at my mom's house for 5 days post surgery and then my sister was able to come to my house for a week and a half to help me with my son. I read no lifting over 20 lbs for 6 weeks but my DR said around 2-3 weeks if I feel strong enough then its fine. Just pick him up when its necessary. Otherwise let him walk/crawl.

I had the same problem after my apendix removal. If your really carefull lift with your legs not your stomach muscles, adapt yourself for a while to not need to do as much straight up lifting like instead of picking him/her up from the floor, guide the child so you can sit on a chair,couch, bed and get them in your lap then use your legs to lift you both up.

A footstool can be a HUGE help especially if you can get/have one with steps. for things like getting the kids in and out of the tub or highchairs etc.

Things like that. And if you cant have another adult/spouse etc. help you out

if you have a younger family member somtimes that can be a huge godsend.

Thankfully my daughter and 1 son were big enough to help out when I needed to lift my youngest. That it wasn't an issue.

I have 23 mo. old twins and I just (last week) had my band. I had my MIL here for the week, my husband is staying home this week and I also have a mother's helper I hired for the summer. I was told 2-3 weeks. The only things I REALLY need to pick them up for at this stage are for their cribs, changing tables, and emergencies (like a good hug). They def. are not happy that Mommy isn't picking them up when they want and I've never been able to be a "holding mom" since there were 2. I would at least plan for 3 weeks. If you feel ok, great, but remember, it's so not worth doing any damage. You should still be able to get down to do a diaper change if necessary. Luckily, my kids are champs at going up and down stairs and into their booster seats. I'd be SOL if they weren't. This surgery is a nice break from diapers alone!

My advice would be to let Dad or Grandma do the heavy lifting (or aunt, uncle, cousin). The first week is the toughest. You will most likely have a lot of soreness in your incisions. I definitely did.My husband took off work for the first week. My mom came the 2nd week to help me out. Although my children aren't as YOUNG as your child, (mine are 7 & 11), they BOTH have special needs. The days were covered because they are in school, but I definitely needed an extra hand in the evening.

Something my bariatric nurse advised me to do that might be helpful to you is to keep a pillow in your lap. My son (who is autistic) is VERY affectionate & loves to cuddle although he's getting older could NOT sit in my lap after I had surgery. She also said to let him sit BESIDE YOU on the couch & give you hugs & kisses that way he still gets that TLC & it's good for the both of you. This way is safer for you while your incisions heal.

Best to you!

coltorismom

Edited by coltorismom

HI - I got a 2-step stepstool for my 2 yr old, and she climbs up to her changing table and into the crib, with my "spotting"her. It really hard not to lift them when they want you to - just tough it out. I did lots of playing on the floor with her too so she'd still feel like I was lovin' on her alot. Good luck!

I have twin boys 18 Months old. I was told not to lift more than 20lbs for up to six weeks. I have to admit I did lift them once or twice since I 've been banded June 4. It hurt to do so. My advice is if you can avoid the lifting do it. Get someome to help until you are healed or at least wait 3-4 weeks.

hmmm . . . lots of twins on this board. I have 16-month-old twin girls and was banded June 4, 2008. 12 days ago. My doctor told me no lifting over 10 pounds AT ALL for 2 weeks (the babies weigh 19 and 23 pounds). At my 2-week check-up on Friday, he will assess my recovery and let me know what I can lift after that. My mom and my husband have been doing most of the baby-caring these past 12 days.

I do have an ottoman in front of my couch and I encouraged the babies how to climb up on it. From there, I can safely change their diapers myself without lifting them at all.

I also had them crawl and sit next to me on the couch.

I think you might need at least 2 weeks of help before you start lifting them on your own.

You already have some great answers. I just want to say that this place now scares me. We want to have ONE more baby in time and with all the multiples on this board....EEEEEEK! I won't be drinking the Water here! rofl