Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair loss..Need advice from the experinced

Guest Sassafrass

Guest Sassafrass

I know this may seem funny..but I am very attached to my hair and after doing research I found that my hair can fall out....thats scary to me...I already went to K-mart and got prenatal vitamens.. Some researches have said it is similar to when you have kids...I still cant relate....I have never had kids so is the Hair loss really bad???? I am going May 16 for my consultation and I've been doing research everyday on the band and I just need REAL PEOPLES ADVICE PEOPLE WITH EXPERINCE!!!Love ya'll

Cassie

Cassie,

I do not know if it was pregnancy or the prenatal Vitamins but while I was pregnant I do not think I lost one strand of my hair. My hair was so thick for several years. Not anymore. I wash my hair and huge clumps fall out in the shower. Is this a result of weight loss or lack of vitamins? I don't know but I have just bought some chewable Flinestones in an attempt to slow the hair falling out. I will let you know if it gets better. It's probably a good idea to go ahead and start taking those vitamins now I wish that I had done that for an least a month prior to banding.

I dont know bout the band cause I havnt had mine yet, but when I was pregnant I had lots of hair, it wasnt till after I spit the kid out that all my hair came out with her. When I would wash my hair in the shower handfuls of it would just come lose in my fingers. I cried. I actually remember that the hair in the front, like bangs if u had them, that part, and along the sides and bottom recieded entirely and it took a good 6-12 months for that hair to even START growing back. Then when it did start growing back, it stuck strait up!! lol But in the scheme of things, whats a little hair. And I didnt really get bald spots. If u have thick hair to begin with u should be fine! I have thin hair and I was still ok. No one would really notice unless i pointed it out

This is always a big topic of conversation, but it's really nothing to worry about! You will very likely notice more hair falling out than you did before surgery, for a while about 4-6 months after banding. But by the time you notice it it's already growing back. And you'll be so much more interested in the weight you're losing that the hair won't bother you one bit!

It all comes back, and you will not go bald. I promise. ;)

a friend of mine just got the band & she told me she asked her dr about the hair lose & her dr put it this way to her >if you had to shave your head to lose your weight would you do it ? & she said yes so then after that she said her worries went away because he said what little lose she had would come back.

Part of the dreded hair is due to the trama of the surgery, not a nutrishinal issue. Just about any time the body has something tramatic to it, it will drop some "useless" function, like hair.

A couple weeks out of my surgery I started to loose my hair like crazy, and yes, I was more than a little freaked out. But the same thing happened to me after all my surgeries.

It grows back, yes it does!

A friend of mine bought me special hair & Nail Vitamins when my hair was falling out. I took them for a long time but never noticed a difference.

But even though my hair was falling out, my head or hair didn't look or feel any different that I can tell. Think of it as a Spring Cleaing, out with the old hair so new can grow in.

I have coarse, thick hair, and it hasn't changed at all since banding. And I had two previous surgeries, both serious, and didn't lose any hair then either... except for what the pre-op team shaved off! Each person reacts differently.

Guest Sassafrass

Thanks everyone you all are really helpful and understanding!!! Thank God for the advice I got... Thanks

Love ya'll,

Cassie