Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shakes!!!

I found the premade shake to be disgusting to say the least. I'm not sure how the same brand in powder can taste so much better than the premade version. I guess to have adequate shelf life in a liquid form they have to add something. I tasted three brands before realizing the powder was the way to go.

I love the Myoplex powders that come in individual serving packets. I bought a $15 blender from wal-mart in which the blended shake can be removed, container and all, and used like a normal drinking glass.

I do a Myoplex lite, scoop of whey Protein, and one tbls psyllium seed husk with 12oz skim milk (~60g of protein) on days that I only do cardio.

Days I strength train and cardio, I do a Myoplex Orginal, scoop of Whey Protien, and one tbls psyllium seed husk with 12oz of skim milk (~85g of protien).

My daily Protein requirements are ~125g and these shakes get me there following Breakfast and lunch.

I've lost 65lbs (52% of my total goal) so far so I'm really happy with my combo.

Good luck finding what works for you!

Edited by Eat2Live

I absolutely detest the ready made drinks because of the gross nasty after-taste.

The only way you're going to find what works for you is to try all kinds until you find what you like. If you have a natural food store, you might be able to find individual single-serving packets so you can try lots of different kinds.

Hey - since I saw that no once else mentioned it, I thought I'd post that nectar is another good one to try. I hate Protein shakes, etc and was really concerned about my pre-op diet. Someone else on these boards told me about nectar and I ordered a sampler pack online at Vitalady.com for $20 and shipping was $10. So it wasn't cheap or anything BUT you did get a one serving sample of every flavor. And you mix them into Water and if you mix well enough to dissolve the powder, they don't taste bad. They also have really different flavors like lemonade, iced tea, fruit punch, caribbean punch (like coconut), fuzzy navel, peach, orange, green apple, and others. So it is a really nice break from the usual choc, strawberry and vanilla. Plus I really hate the taste of whey Protein so I also started putting the Nectar in the blender with ice, Water and a single serving of Crystal Light in a compatible flavor (like lemonade CL with lemonade Nectar) and it is actually pretty good then. I mean, not great but so much better than the rest. Even if you just get the sampler pack, it may be enough to give a break here and there with the other stuff.

Oh and I forgot the best part - one scoop (which obviously you could use two if you wanted) has 23 g of protein, 90 calories, and but 0 fat and 0 carbs. :crying:

I would imagine as you continue on your diet journey with more wiggle room, you could do things like add fruit to it which would not only improve the taste even more, but get in some other nutrients, etc. But even if you never do that, the Nectar and water are really not bad.

PS - I have found about five different threads so far that all deal with the taste of Protein Shakes and trying to find something that tastes decent and every time I don't see Nectar on there, so I decide to post about it. But it is getting to the point where I swear someone is going to think I work for either vitalady.com or Nectar. I SWEAR I don't!!! :confused_smile: I just feel the same way about the taste of the other stuff and had the most success with Nectar, so I feel like I really have to pass the word along. Hope that helps!! :smile2:

I use EAS Myoplex. You can buy them at Sam’s Club for Bulk, or you can get a variety of flavors at your local GNC or gnc.com. Besides just chocolate, you can also get strawberry, Vanilla and Cookies n’Cream from what I've seen.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I’m just used to them; they are really high in Protein and taste good to me. I mix an 8<SUP>th</SUP> of a cup of 1% milk for dilution as the pre-made are pretty thick. They also come in powder and Lo Carb variety too.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Good Luck!<o:p></o:p>