Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

infection but still positive

I was banded on may 5th was doing well went to first post-op check up sites looked great on may 12th, over the next weekend did not feel well

but was to return to work on the 18th felt bad that day but thought if I got up and did something like work I'd work it out and be ok. Got to work and started having hot spells with cold sweats no temp and my large incision start draining. Went to the doctor the next morning yes for infection place on 750mg Levaquin a week later they added Bactrim DS

taking both levaquin was up at fourteen days. Sites are improved but the 2 worse ones are still pink hot and hard. This weekend I had a bad spell

thought I was fixin to die for real, but it finally passed after hours will call the office in the morning but I wanted this so bad to improve my health

and Its been a rough start. I am just ready to get started but I am afraid before I get that chance they are gonna want to take it out and start all over. What to do. I'm a nurse and I know errors were made with me for that one night stay and I believe they cause these problems, is just so frustrating, I don't know what to do. I'm afraid my family wont want me to try again if I have to. Just venting cause I'm a little scared. Wish me luck.

I'll talk to yall soon.

Sheemac:unsure:

I was banded on may 5th was doing well went to first post-op check up sites looked great on may 12th, over the next weekend did not feel well

but was to return to work on the 18th felt bad that day but thought if I got up and did something like work I'd work it out and be ok. Got to work and started having hot spells with cold sweats no temp and my large incision start draining. Went to the doctor the next morning yes for infection place on 750mg Levaquin a week later they added Bactrim DS

taking both levaquin was up at fourteen days. Sites are improved but the 2 worse ones are still pink hot and hard. This weekend I had a bad spell

thought I was fixin to die for real, but it finally passed after hours will call the office in the morning but I wanted this so bad to improve my health

and Its been a rough start. I am just ready to get started but I am afraid before I get that chance they are gonna want to take it out and start all over. What to do. I'm a nurse and I know errors were made with me for that one night stay and I believe they cause these problems, is just so frustrating, I don't know what to do. I'm afraid my family wont want me to try again if I have to. Just venting cause I'm a little scared. Wish me luck.

I'll talk to yall soon.

Sheemac:unsure:

You mentioned you know errors were made what errors do you think were made? I hope you're better soon I know it's not that common to have an infection like that but at least you're getting things taken care of. Do you really think they'll have to remove the band? brandyII

My Iv came out at 6pm that night. I was due three more bags of IV antibiotics, one of the other docs was on that night and he does do lap bands or likes to give orders on them to were the nurse i had had called him 4 times and he did not want to respond. I got out of my bed went to the floor I worked on and printed there standing orders and took them to her just to get something for pain. It was never mentioned to my doc about missed abt's and he's the one that said we may have to start all over. But my family who was very supportive is now getting scared. I can only take it step by step. Thanks for the reply it helps to talk it out here. Sheemac

Well I'm not a nurse and don't pretend to be and you know a lot more about it than I do but I'm not sure why you had an IV of antibiotics for the night. Was there a specific reason, I know most people it seems can go home as it's outpatient surgery and don't have those antibiotics in their system. Just trying to understand, brandyII.

My surgeon is new at these and I'm sure he was doing it as a protective measure. Lots of docs do that to keep the risk of infection down, he also gave us morphine pumps when alot of people just go home after there surgery elsewhere he keeps us overnight. Yet 2 other banded that same day went home on oral abt's so I guess it has to do with your previous history also. Neverless my protective measured was not carried out and I have been on antibiotics for a month come the end of the week and it's not completely gone. Trying to stay positive maybe he will have good news for me because I can't have a fill either untill it's all gone if I get to keep it. What to do???

Thanks for the reply.

Sheemac

And most people that go home do get IV abt's in surgery as precautions not for problems jsut because your body with fight the surgery cause it's trying to heal your body. Just FYI

Thanks Sheemac

Wow, I wish I had a pain pump! My daughter had gastric bypass surgery about two weeks ago and that pain pump was her best friend! I hope things get better for you I know it's frustrating. Take care brandyII.

Gosh Sheemac32 I am so sorry for what you are going thru. Where in Alabama are you? I live in NE Al. I am having my surgery the 17th and I am suppose to go get my pre-op testing done tomorrow. I am worried because I think I may have a sinus infection and I heard that can mess your blood work up so I am thinking about going to my doctor this morning and getting checked. I would feel alot better too if my doctor would send me home after surgery with an antibiotic. I get to go home that day if everything goes ok but I think everybody should get antibiotics to help fight off infections-if that makes sense. I really hope you get to feeling better. I will say a prayer for you. Please keep me posted on how you are doing.:tongue2:

H Sheemac

Needless to say every one is so different. Some people can take antibotics and get rid of the infection. Did you say you have been on antibotics for 4 weeks. My port had to be removed, infection continued. Surgery again and now packing and healing from the inside out.

It is a blessing that you have a supportive family. Quiet your mind ask for perfect peace within and you will begin to know what you need to do and what needs to happen.