Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Motorcycle fun

I'll be going home in a few weeks, and I'm going to start bugging my DH to fix the motorcyle he bought for me. He bought me a Yamaha 500cc bike, and I think it is a virago model, but don't quote me on that. I do know it is one of the "V" bikes though.

As a reward for my DH getting his band, I enrolled him in a motorcycle saftey class, since that is something he always wanted to do, but felt like his weight was a barrier. (he weighed close to 600 pounds when he took the class.... )

Okay a quick poll, how many have bikes, and how many are frequent riders?

How many bikes to you own collectively? 2

what kind of bikes, and how big? both are Yamaha kawasaki Vulcan bikes, DH as a 750cc, mine is a 500cc

do you always wear protecive gear? if not, why not? I always wore full-face helmet, gloves, boots, heavy jacket. or a rain-suit. Didn't always wear good pants.

have you ever taken a safety class? yes, I took the CHP safety course

have you every had an serious accident? Yes, please see below

I used to be an avid rider. I say "used to" becaue I had a terrible accident when my son was a baby. Not only did I have to deal with the trama from the actual accident, but I also had to deal with doctors from hell who thought it would be a good idea to torture me and inflict emotional damage. (they would debreeed my leg without any pain medications, then yell at me for crying and tell me things like "so I guess you won't ever ride a motorcycle again, RIGHT?!)

I had to have one of the skin graphs redone a few years back, and the plastic surgeon who did the new one was an avid bike rider. He told me that every couple of years someone would come in in such terrible shape that he would sell his bike. Then he would buy a new one a year or so later. He really encouraged me to start riding again.

We have 2 Harleys. A big daddy new one and Shorty, my lil 1200 custom. Always wear a helmet with 1/2 face shield, but when summer hits I'll be sleeveless.

Yes, I tood the safety course and the instructor grabbed my throttle and slammed me into the ground. She was suspended and now I see a chiropractor 3 times a week.

No accidents... knocking... no, SLAMMING on wood. And YES, I'm horrified of having one.

My DH and I usually try to get out on the bikes at least once a month. We also like to go to the track so we can ride without car traffic.

What kind of bikes, and how big? both are Suzuki bikes, DH as a 1000cc, mine is a 700cc

Do you always wear protecive gear? if not, why not? I always wear a full-face helmet, gloves, boots, and riding jacket. I don't always wear riding pants, unless I'm at the track.

Have you ever taken a safety class? yes, I took the (MSF) Motorcycle Safety Foundation course.

Have you every had an serious accident? No, thank God. My brother-in-law is parapeligic (sorry don't know how to spell) because of a motorcycle accident.

I first rode - my own bike, going by myself, to Sturgis in 1982. I bought my 1st Sportster in 1981 and have owned more than a dozen motorcycles since. Sometimes I have had 2 but currently only have my Road King. I am single so there is no significant other. My last boyfriend used to ride one of mine but on long trips he would haul it and follow me. Obviously, he is out of the picture now.

The first 10 plus years I averaged 12000 plus a year. Now, I'm in the 7-10,000 mile a year bracket (and bummed out about it).

I bought my 1st helmet 2 years ago when I rode to California (by myself). I pulled my neck out on that trip and couldn't feel my hands whenever I had the helmet on. I have wore it periodically since but don't ride with it regularly. I know the records but I also know the risk of brain functioning with no associated body controls. I have friends that are in the medical field and some wear helmets and some don't. I have chose not to by personal choice.

I never ride without gloves or cutoff gloves.

Bad accident - I have had 1 accident but didn't break any bones. My broken bones are from the days when I rode bicycles.

I can't remember the rest of the questions but I've been thinking that if I can manage it, I may ride to the get together in Las Vegas.

We have two bikes, both Harleys and we both ride all the time. We have taken several trips on our bikes. We would love to ride them out to Arizona sometime, but only when we have plenty of time to do it.

My DH has 01 Heritage Softail Ultra Classic 1550/95 cu engine that he special ordered when we moved here. I rode on the back of his for a year and decided I wanted my own. That back seat is uncomfortable!

I have a 02 Heritage Softail Ultra Classic 1450/88 cu engine that I special ordered so it would be set up the way I wanted it to be. I had to have mine lowered because I was so short.

I always wear a helmet and boots, but I only wear a coat/gloves when it is cold. It gets too hot here to wear even long sleeves in the summer time. A lot of people wear their leathers here in the summer, but I just can't take the heat of doing it.

I took the safety class after I order my bike, my DH has never taken one but has been riding forever!

No serious accidents for either of us.

what kind of bikes, and how big? both are Yamaha kawasaki Vulcan bikes, DH as a 750cc, mine is a 500cc

do you always wear protecive gear? if not, why not? I always wore full-face helmet, gloves, boots, heavy jacket. or a rain-suit. Didn't always wear good pants.

have you ever taken a safety class? yes, I took the CHP safety course

have you every had an serious accident? Yes, please see below

Own: 2 - both Harley 883 Huggers - I was going to move to the Fat Boy but my loving Hubby bought me an anniversary model and I don't have the heart to sell it and upgrade....He has two Road Kings....

Gear - Yes, always wear gear-except gloves, sometimes I don't wear them

Safety Class - Yes and highly recommend the basic and intermediate.

Accident - No and pray everyday I never do...

I got my first bike 5 years ago, up until that time I was not aware they could be lowered the rest is history.....I don't get to ride much here except to work and around the compound...hopefully soon to change...getting a trailer to trailer the bikes to a country that allows women to drive.

what kind of bikes, and how big? Mine are classic Kawasaki kz750 and Suzuki gs550-1969 and 1983 respectively

do you always wear protecive gear? if not, why not? Fullface helmet, gloves.

have you ever taken a safety class? self taught rider like most things in my life

have you every had an serious accident? No and I try to keep it that way.

My Kaw kz750 is a restored classic bike and I just love tooling around town in it. I am trying to talk my buddy into taking a trip on bikes for a vacation, but mostly I just drive around locally within 2 hours of home.

T

How many bikes to you own collectively? 6.

What kind of bikes, and how big? All Harleys- A 1966-3 wheeler w/ side shifter and reverse, 81 wide glide, 84 FLH, 94 Heritage, 99 Heritage and mine, a 97 Heritage softtail springer with all the bells and whistles, it's a hoss, LOL

Do you always wear protecive gear? if not, why not? I always wear a helmet and gloves and long pants and boots, (so I can reach the ground).

Have you ever taken a safety class? Absolutely, I'd never ridden a bike before my safety class.

Have you every had an serious accident? No, I did drop it once, I'd made my turn and was starting to ride down a hill and the guy beside me, his bike cut off. Well, I learned really quick you don't stop and hold up a 800 lb bike once it's in a turn. Fortunately I only hurt my turn signal and scared the crap out of me. I also was behind my DH in my car with my son, and watched in horror as his bike locked up and he went about 500' down the road on his back and side, still holding on for dear life until he finally let go and rolled into a ditch. They picked gravel out for about 2 hours, and he was on a highway, thank God for helmets.

Oh yes, I'm a fair weather rider, I don't ride when it's too cold and I don't ride when it's hot, I save those hot days for the Jetski.

My DH and I went to a Harley Anniversay party yesterday. It was so cool, there was about 1500-2000 motorcycles there. They had a show going for the best bikes, and it didn't cost anything so we entered ours. I won 2nd place! The one that one first place had a really neat old classic that was in mint condition. I got $100.00 gift certificate!

Betty, If I remember correctly you live in the Dallas area and were you at the American Eagle Anniversary Party in Corinth. If so, That was my band playing there. How cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I was there, and I was sitting over on the wall singing along with you! Hey, you guys are good! I really enjoyed listening to y'all play! Now, tell me which one you were! That sure was a big crowd there and so many bikes! Gosh, I wish I had known you were playing there, I would have come up and introduced myself and got to meet you!

How Cool........ I was the big guy with the goatee playing guitar. You may have also seen me walking my Belgium Shepherd around too during breaks. We were sitting just next to the drink counter they had set up just to the left of the trikes. Man I almost bought me another Fatboy while I was there. I just sold my 02 pearl white FB cause with the band and teenage boys I never got to ride it. It was just taking up space in the garage. After 2 years I barely had 5k miles on it. Just a few more years the kiddos will be in college and maybe I will get another scooter. Man I wish we would have met. That would have been awesome. check out our website at www.souldoubtband.com

Yes, I did see you and your dog! I sure wish I had know who you were, I definately would have introduced myself. I was in the Ladies division, and I had the red Heritage Softail with all the black fringe on it, I don't know if you saw it or not.

It was a cool party they put on, and your band was great! I thought y'all did an elcellent job on "The house of the rising sun". If I ever see you playing anywhere again, I will definately come up and say hello.

I was sitting right behind the trikes too! I had on a black Harley shirt with pink flowers/rhinestones going down the sleeves, I have long dark hair.

Those Harley's grow on you don't they? :):D:D

Ok you have my full attention now. I am new to this site and have mostly just been sitting in the background reading and reseaching all the general discussions on this site. My mother and I have an apointment next week with Dr. Powell (Dallas) to start our lap-band experience. This discussion really got my attention as I also ride a Harley with my husband. We are both members of the American Eagle Chapter and the North Texas Chapter. Although we are more active with NTHD we live close to American Eagle. We did not get to go to the Party on Saturday because I was working the North Texas Chapter Poker Run. There was a large group of Eagles that left the party early and ran our poker run. Were you with that group? I have read alot of stuff on this site but would really like to meet someone in person that has had the lap band procedure done. I don't know why, just would like to put a face with a conversation. Everybody seems so friendly and happy here I am sure I will be spending alot of time here as I continue down the lap-banded path.

No, I wasn't one of people that was with that group. I did buy my bike at the Dallas Harley though, and we go over there a lot. I take my bike over for service and we go to some of the events they have over there. We go to American Eagle a lot too, and we are members of the Longhorn Chapter. My DH bought his bike at the North Texas Harley, so we frequent that one too. We have been up to the Ft. Worth Harley some too, and visit a lot that are around the metro-plex. Heck, now that I am typing this I guess we visit a lot of the Harley places. :):D

If you pm me a way to contact you, the next time we are over there I will give you a call or something. I would love to meet you.

I think that is so neat that your Mom is being banded with you! Please keep us updated on your progress!