Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my mom has lap band.. and she is in danger

my mom has lap band and recently she has been vomiting everything that has been in her mouth. Hearing the sounds makes me feel that she is in danger. She explained seeing black acid come out of her mouth into the toilet. She may be suffering from acid reflux but thats not the case. Im going on vacation soon and im TERRIFIED to go and come back with no mom. My mom wants to go to the hospital and take it out immediately but she knows that the bill will be very expensive and she may not be able to pay it off.. im only 14.. wat can i do?!:tongue2:

Talk your mom into getting to the doctor soon. This does not sound good to me. I wonder if it is blood that she is throwing up? Good luck.

If she is throwing up what looks like "coffee grounds" she needs to go to the ER asap! This is called melena and is basically digested blood. If this is the case, it may not be coming from the lap band most likely as the blood thrown up from the pouch or stomach would be bright red. It has been in her intestines. If she is not having bowel movements (usually melena is in the stool) she may have a blockage.

BOTTOM LINE: Get to the ER...worst case scenario she could bleed out!:(

my mom has lap band and recently she has been vomiting everything that has been in her mouth. Hearing the sounds makes me feel that she is in danger. She explained seeing black acid come out of her mouth into the toilet. She may be suffering from acid reflux but thats not the case. Im going on vacation soon and im TERRIFIED to go and come back with no mom. My mom wants to go to the hospital and take it out immediately but she knows that the bill will be very expensive and she may not be able to pay it off.. im only 14.. wat can i do?!:(

Sammie,

I am so very sorry that your mom AND you are going thru this terrible time. Please tell your mother to get to the ER as soon as possible and get help!!! I understand her concern on what the cost may be to get the band removed (if needed), but her LIFE is more important.

I will keep your family in my prayers!

Sammie call your moms surgeon they will do the test right away to see if it has slipped or eroded. She may think that some vomiting comes with the band but it doesn't. Just watch out for her and talk to her and tell her you are worried and scared. Good Luck let us know if everything is ok.

Sheemac

:tongue2:

You are so sweet to care about your mom. I have three teens, 18, 17, and 13...and they HATE it when I do what your mom does. My 18 year old pouts....my 17 year old is amazed I can do it in a restraunt without anyone noticing...(I do it in a takeout cup- take a napkin to cover it)... and my 13 year old just avoids me...she walks away.

Just know your mom is brave...very brave. This hasn't been easy for her and she knows what it's done to you guys. But it's the price that must be paid.

Just pat her on the back, offer a wet washcloth. And know that she loves you so much and doesn't want you to suffer the same fate as her.

She is the adult and will get to the doctor. She's not going to die or anything like that, so don't worry. She really could stop eating today and as long as she gets Water down...be fine for a long time. (don't recommend it though)

Just ask her what she wants you to do.

Edited by VegasGrace

Grace, why do you say that? If she is vomiting black stuff it could very well be blood and she could very well be in danger. Don't minimize this kid's concern; it may be justified.

Wow! I re-read my post and didn't minimize it a bit. This is a child....don't scare her!

She needs assurance that she is the child...her feelings are validated...and her mom is an adult...her mom will get to a doctor...all will be fine.

She asked what could she do....she should take it easy...she's a kid. She should take the role of supporter...not adult...not doctor.

She should support her mom and literally ask..."Mom, what would you like me to do?" or "Mom, I'm freaking out...what can I do to help you?"

sammie I hope your mom is doin better, please let us know when things aren't so bad.

Wishing you lots of luck, you and your mom are in my thoughts.

Wow! I re-read my post and didn't minimize it a bit. This is a child....don't scare her!

She needs assurance that she is the child...her feelings are validated...and her mom is an adult...her mom will get to a doctor...all will be fine.

Don't scare her??!? Get real shes 14 not 6. Telling her not to worry mom will get to get a doctor is probably the most irresponsible thing I have ever read on this forum!!!

ONLY A DOCTOR SHOULD GIVE ADVICE ON SOMETHING THIS SERIOUS. not some stranger on a webforum

She asked what could she do....she should take it easy...she's a kid. She should take the role of supporter...not adult...not doctor.

First she already is worried. And telling her it will be ok is giving a false sense of security in POTENTIALLY serious situation And if mom hasn't called her surgeon already or can't because of the vomiting SOMEONE NEEDS TO!! If there is no other adult around who can call the doctor/911 at 14 she is perfectly capable if mom cannot.

She should support her mom and literally ask..."Mom, what would you like me to do?" or "Mom, I'm freaking out...what can I do to help you?"

No actualy it should be more like "Mom do you want me to call <Insert dad, uncle, aunt, 5th cousin twice removed if needed, or another adult family member, friend, trusted neighbor to call the surgeon/911 NOW, explain that she has a gastric band and needs to have something to stop the vomiting at the least.

Or come take your mom to the emergency room.

99% of surgeons/doctors have emergency paging services for this kind of thing. And most paging services recomend you call 991 rather then wait on the surgeon to call back if its life threatening.

Uncontrolable vomiting is a serious thing with the band and at the least the Emergency room will give her something to stop the vomiting if you can't reach the surgeon.

I wouldn't call it the most irresponsible thing I've read.

In general kids tend to exaggerate and get overly anxious.

Sammie, I would try to convince your mom to call her surgeon or go the ER. If she says no, just help her in any way you can. Before you go on vacation, make sure another family member or close friend knows what's going on. Then go on vacation and try not to worry.

Yes, agreed. She asked what she should do.

She shouldn't play doctor.

She shouldn't get stressed out.

She shouldn't take it upon her shoulders.

She should do what her instincts are telling her....ask her mom what she would like her to do.

They've already had the conversation about getting to a doctor. The child has already expressed her feelings to her mom.

We should support the parent and their ability to parent. Not give out advice. When a teen is in a crisis...we should encourage them to turn to their parents or a relative.

All I can say is I would love to know how things are going for them, and if her mother is okay. :teeth_smile:

Grace, why do you say that? If she is vomiting black stuff it could very well be blood and she could very well be in danger. Don't minimize this kid's concern; it may be justified.

Bingo. When I was at the point where I was vomiting "black" it was because I had vomited so much my stomach folded over itself and died. I had to have 1/2 of it removed. I "died" several times both on and off the operating table

I hope this woman has gotten to the ER by now. And no, we as adults don't always make the right decisions - it was my father who convinced me to go to the ER and I'm 46!!