Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just turned 21 6 months ago and I'm about 6 weeks post op. I was wondering if anyone had tried drinking so soon after surgery? I know your not supposed to drink at least 6 months after surgery, but it seems to be really hard because all of my friends want to go out! Now I'm not talking about anything crazy because I know how alcohol is like pure calories but I was thinking maybe half a glass of wine or something. What are your thoughts?

I had a cocktail last sunday with some girlfriends before i went to see sex and the city, i didn't have any problems with it, but i do think it did slow my weight loss down a lot. i would just keep that in mind.

I have had my band now for 3 months, I had a regular size margarita the other night, of coarse I hadn't eaten for a few hours prior good thing I wasn't driving!!!!! I try to be good about not having liquids with meals so I thought I'd have my drink first!!!(LOL):incazzato: Well, guess you can call me a cheap drunk!!!

:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Tess

I kind of hate how people use the excuse of I just turned 21 or I go out with friends and they drink so I feel like I have to as well. It's called perserverance (sp?) I mean the legal drinking age here is 18 - I'm 20 you kinda get over it - I don't mean to sound so harsh but what's more important going out and getting drunk or loosing weight and being healthier? I know I choose the being healthier part but in saying that I dont think it's that bad when people only want a glass or 2 of wine or something - but if you have it and you have a mix make sure it's with tonic Water or diet soda's that way it isn't as bad

Ask your doctor since you're still healing. For the rest of your life???

There's not a thing wrong with an occasional drink. A glass of wine has about 100 calories, but no nutritional value. It's kind of like chocolate.

Alcohol is like a super-carbohydrate. Each gram has 7 calories (normal carbs are 4 calories per gram) and your body will burn them first, saving harder to break down calories for last.

Blended drinks are calorie laden; full of sugar and alcohol. They should be thought of like french fries or a milk shake -- better to steal a sip than have your own.

I've been banded since Aug and started experimenting with alcohol about 2 months out. Being in grad school, it was nice to be able to go out with friends. A few things to keep in mind:

1) double check with your doctor if it's ok

2) you won't be able to have a lot

3) instead of getting big drinks, ask for shots (or shot versions of your drinks) that way you get the taste of it without the calories or immense amount of liquid.

Good luck and have fun!

I'm not a big drinker, but the last couple weeks have been "party season" for me. Grad parties, fathers day, BOTH of my parents birthdays (June 20th - moms 49th, June 21st - dads 50th) and everyone keeps offering me drinks! I've haven't had one yet but was curious about when it would be okay to have a margarita! My dad makes the best frozen ones!! I want to ask my doctor but feel weird since I'm still underage lol. My parents know I'm not a big partier or binge drinker or anything so they don't care if I have a drink or two at parties and such, but everyones different.