Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I tried to read through the waxing thread in the lounge and wound up going cross eyed...

So I am gonna resurrect it over here.

My hubby is coming home in August and by then I am hoping to have lost a bit of weight, enough to put me in the 100's at least. ANYHOW, I digress, I was thinking of surprising him by getting a Brazilian wax. Thing is, I am a shaver always have been so I have NO idea how soon before he gets back I should get it done. No idea about anything really. I called the salon/spa I will be going to, price is rather decent. Newbie freshly learnt would charge around 90, and someone with experiance (hello I am going to this one) can run up to 150 (I expected that price actually). Price isn't a factor, but everything else is.

Seems when I call to ask about details the waxer person lady is with a client and the receptionist doesn't really know that much about it.

So ladies that have had it done, do tell. Give me the dish on how soon before he gets home I should get it done etc.

Also, pain factor isn't really a deal, I mean hey, I have 13 tattoo's I can handle pain a bit I guess.

Hey!

Im prob not gonna be much help, as i have never waxed but like you have shaved. But when i do shave, i shave EVERYTHING off. cos ive never had it waxed down there im not sure how long it would take for the skin to settle down. I guess it depends on the individual.

are you being charged $150 dollars just to get the wax done:ohmy:??? or are you getting other treatments aswell?

xx

Ok I tried to read through the waxing thread in the lounge and wound up going cross eyed...

So I am gonna resurrect it over here.

My hubby is coming home in August and by then I am hoping to have lost a bit of weight, enough to put me in the 100's at least. ANYHOW, I digress, I was thinking of surprising him by getting a Brazilian wax. Thing is, I am a shaver always have been so I have NO idea how soon before he gets back I should get it done. No idea about anything really. I called the salon/spa I will be going to, price is rather decent. Newbie freshly learnt would charge around 90, and someone with experiance (hello I am going to this one) can run up to 150 (I expected that price actually). Price isn't a factor, but everything else is.

Seems when I call to ask about details the waxer person lady is with a client and the receptionist doesn't really know that much about it.

So ladies that have had it done, do tell. Give me the dish on how soon before he gets home I should get it done etc.

Also, pain factor isn't really a deal, I mean hey, I have 13 tattoo's I can handle pain a bit I guess.

oh no no, sorry didn't mean to make it seen like that is what I was actually being charge, it can go up to 150. She said the average price is right around 100 though. I am planning on getting a massage as well too. So all in all I am probably looking to pay roughly 300 that day.

Figure I am gonna get hair ripped out with violent force I might as well treat myself to a massage afterwards to apologize to my body. :cursing:

Guest Leslie2Lose

I don't know if I could handle a bikini wax. I can barely tolerate to have my eyebrows done (I look very Brooke Shields circa 1985 without the waxing, it isn't pretty). I have a very low pain tolerance when it comes to having hair yanked out..ouch!

Hi Pix, my Mum owns a beauty salon I have had Brazilains, Hollywoods and a Vegas (What are they all named after places?) You want to aim for 2 to 3 days before he gets back, the day before at the very latest! I am also trained as a waxer if you have specific questions PM me and I can tell you anything you need to know :cursing:

KiKi XX

oh no no, sorry didn't mean to make it seen like that is what I was actually being charge, it can go up to 150. She said the average price is right around 100 though. I am planning on getting a massage as well too. So all in all I am probably looking to pay roughly 300 that day.

Figure I am gonna get hair ripped out with violent force I might as well treat myself to a massage afterwards to apologize to my body. :cursing:

lol i was about to say that's pretty expensive for just a wax...lol Hope you have a lovely day at the spa, spoil yourself rotten. (i would 2 if i had the money):biggrin2:

I don't know if I could handle a bikini wax. I can barely tolerate to have my eyebrows done (I look very Brooke Shields circa 1985 without the waxing, it isn't pretty). I have a very low pain tolerance when it comes to having hair yanked out..ouch!

my pain threshold is very low...having my eyebrows threaded is enough pain....only god knows how im gonna handle the surgery pain. Thank god for paracetamol and pain relief is what i say!! lol

Hi Pix, my Mum owns a beauty salon I have had Brazilains, Hollywoods and a Vegas (What are they all named after places?) You want to aim for 2 to 3 days before he gets back, the day before at the very latest! I am also trained as a waxer if you have specific questions PM me and I can tell you anything you need to know :cursing:

KiKi XX

Ahhh Miss Wide - I've never had anything waxed but would like to. Can you fill in the newbies on what to wear, what to expect, how to behave, etc.?

I.e.: Are you covered on the table except for the area being waxed or so you lie out starkers or half starkers? How long does a wax last? I've heard that the first Brazilian is extremely painful but the second far less so or not at all. Is this true? What if the waxee doesn't have a particularly pretty body - will everyone talk about us? How much should you tip? Will we yell out "Kelly Clarkson" as the hair is ripped from our bodies? :biggrin2:

Thanks so much!

I've had 3 Brazilians--would definitely do more if I could afford it! The 2nd and 3rd ones where significantly less traumatizing than the first. I wanted it all off though--don't particularly care for the landing strip, or whatever type that's called. The clean feeling afterwards made my want to run nekked through a field of wildflowers....ok TMI.

The advice I got was to remember to gently exfoliate the area in the days after to avoid ingrown hairs. Those lil' things were the only real setback for me. A bit of Hydrocortizone helps if you get them.

Hi SanDiegoSusan,

Well I guess first off you need to know whats what, you can have a variety of waxes

Standard - where they remove anything thats growing outside your kincker line and a small amount underneath the knicker lines just a general tidy up for this you get to keep you knickers and its advisable to wear a pair of standard cotton ones that you dont mind if the waxer happenes to get a bit of wax on you. Avoid tight fitting knickers for this as the friction on the newly waxed skin can cause the skin to dry out and peel off.

Brazilian - everything but a small landing stip is left behind this can vary in width depending on client prefrence. This wax is designed for people that want to wear the smallest of bikinis or knickers so you can appriciate that they wax everywhere not for people that are modest or shy! For the best results and straightness of the landing strip its best not to wear knickers. Also you need to be prepared to be getting on your hands and knees so the can wax you bottom crack, the hair can be accessed in diffrent ways if you don't think you can manage that but hands and knees is the standard.

Hollywood - is just a step further from the Brazilian same wax no landing strip!

Vegas - For this you need a very skilled waxer with a bit of imagination! Shapes are waxed in to the pubic hair and dimante is added with a skin friendly glue, you can expect them to stay on for a couple of days. Kinda cute for a special occasion!

Ok ladies couple of tips for you wax take some painkillers 30-45mins in advance that will take off some of edge. Go to the salon in loose fitting dark clothes you will be thankfull after. Don't go when you are due your TOM your body is far more sensitive and it WILL hurt more. No hot baths or showers for 24 hrs your pores are open and it can cause extra ingrown hairs. Whatever you do don't fake tan before as the wax will remove the tan and for at least 48 hours after as you will get a "plucked chicken" effect! There are 2 diffrent types of wax avaliable hot wax is the preffrable for bikini waxing as it is better for removing deep set hairs, but it is perfectly exceptable to use warm wax. You might notice some slight bruising in the area on the whole if your waxer is experienced this does not happen, but to be honest it happens to the best of us now and again as everyones skin is diffrent. Also you might notice some blood spots where you have been waxed this again is very normal as pubic hair is very deep rooted and dense.

Happy waxing ladies!

KiKi XX

Sorry missed a couple of things, you can keep your top half clothing and there will be towels to protect your modesty:)

A brazilian can take up to aprox 30 mins to do but all depends how hairy you are dowstairs! It should last up to 4 weeks, this first is the worst because you are removing more hair the first time round. hair grows in cycles so after the 4 weeks all your really getting is a tidy up so yes the second one will be less painfull, another tip the longer the pubic hair the more painfull the wax! Your waxer may trim your pubic hair first before waxing.

Do we talk about clients? No! We don't have time the only time we talk about them is if they are rude! We don't care what your body looks like we have seen it all before and normally several times that day! Its not all supermodel looking women that go to the beauty salon it's 98% normal looking ladies women like us that have had babies, and want that stubborn hair on their chin removed! If any thing it makes me happy as a waxer that there are other folk like me that are not picture perfect!

Tipping is nice but we don't expect it! For example on a £30 manicure (aprox $60) I am more than happy if someone leaves me £2.00 (aprox $4).

KiKi XX

Also if you have any wax on you soap and Water will take an age to get it off - Baby Oil will get it straight off! Also after waxing larger ladies or ladies with skin folds can be prone to sweat rash time to dust of the talc!

Hi gg2007, Whoop Whoop for the UK! where you having your band fitted? Nhs or self pay? I am having mine done next Thur (12th)!

KiKi XX

Thanks MissWilde!! I am not a really modest person, but I don't even really like my yearly doctor visits (something about a stranger looking at my hoohaa just doesn't sit right with me.) BUT I am willing to forgo that for this. I just want my hubby suitably shocked yet happy :thumbup:. That and I am sick of shaving. Razor burn and razor stubble isn't any fun 'specially since I am older now and well its just a right pain in the patooty to shave all the danged time.

Ok this is a little know fact that might make it worth it for you all! It much more sensitive to touch after the wax, as all the hair has been removed all the ladies report back that things are much more enjoyable! :thumbup:

K XX