Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introductions.

Thanks wishes4444! Since I have absolutely NO restriction yet, I'd like to go back on my preop diet but can't really until I can eat fish and chicken. But soon enough! :tt1: Other than that I feel marvelous!

My first fill is 10/9. I'm too excited for that! I know I probably won't feel restriction yet, but it's the next step!

Oh trust me when you go to real food you will know you have restriction. I made the mistake of taking a bite of an egg roll thinking I could eat it. Not a good idea! I learned real fast lol. My Dr gave me my first fill at 6 weeks post op. I need one now, I am supposed to go next Wed but I am going to GA Oct 4th and sometimes after a fill I can't eat and I don't want to be getting sick when I am visiting my husbands family. I can just imagine them thinking I'm now bulimic with a band lol. I do have issues sometimes after a fill for a few days, so I really have to think it through. I so want my fill as I have not lost any weight since the first week of Aug.

Anyway you keep up the great work and PLEASE let me know how you're doing!

Thanks wishes4444! Since I have absolutely NO restriction yet, I'd like to go back on my preop diet but can't really until I can eat fish and chicken. But soon enough! :tt1: Other than that I feel marvelous!

My first fill is 10/9. I'm too excited for that! I know I probably won't feel restriction yet, but it's the next step!

Hi Ann,

I do understand how hard it is to exercise. I tried for years to get a program started I could keep up. Finally I put the weights next to the head of my bed. Of course, at first I couldn't use them. So I did the weight lifting exercises without weights. Then I used the five pound weights.:rolleyes:

It was a good choice, even though I can't do much. I do it on the edge of the bed and do a good arm workout For leg exercises, I draw large cirles with one leg and then the other. Then I do various leg raises. It isn't much, but I am consistent. I do it two or three days a week, and if I miss it one week, I start again the next. At first it was hard,:tt2: but I grew stronger and now I enjoy it.

The best thing is my knees don't get any strain. And since I exercise in the morning before leaving the bedroom, I don't forget to exercise. If I left it to later, I'm sure I would conveniently forget to exercise. LOL:laugh:

I am really looking forward to getting my band. But I am glad to have time to build muscle before getting the surgery. The more muscle I build, the higher my metabolism will be.

I hope to learn a lot from the people on this site. I'm just beginning a very long journey.

mindwing:shades_smile:

Hi Mindwing,

Good for you, anything moving is a big step! I go to a pool and speed walk back and forth for at least an hour. I try and get there 2 times a week. I go early in the morning when it's not crowded and get my walking and some swimming done. I was doing great about going until summer came then I said "oh I'll just go in my own pool and exercise" it didn't happen. So now that my pool is closed again I am making an effort to get there at least two times a week again. I am sure that will help my scale start moving again.

You keep up the great work! Keep in touch!

Hi Ann,

I do understand how hard it is to exercise. I tried for years to get a program started I could keep up. Finally I put the weights next to the head of my bed. Of course, at first I couldn't use them. So I did the weight lifting exercises without weights. Then I used the five pound weights.:)

It was a good choice, even though I can't do much. I do it on the edge of the bed and do a good arm workout For leg exercises, I draw large cirles with one leg and then the other. Then I do various leg raises. It isn't much, but I am consistent. I do it two or three days a week, and if I miss it one week, I start again the next. At first it was hard,:tongue2: but I grew stronger and now I enjoy it.

The best thing is my knees don't get any strain. And since I exercise in the morning before leaving the bedroom, I don't forget to exercise. If I left it to later, I'm sure I would conveniently forget to exercise. LOL:laugh:

I am really looking forward to getting my band. But I am glad to have time to build muscle before getting the surgery. The more muscle I build, the higher my metabolism will be.

I hope to learn a lot from the people on this site. I'm just beginning a very long journey.

mindwing:shades_smile:

Great thread, if all goes well I will be banded Friday, Oct 3. It's been a long road (started last year) but I know it will all be worth it. My BMI is 67 and I've been so worried that only people with a hundred pounds or so to lose did well with the lap band. Glad to know that isn't the case.

I'm on pins and needles right now as this will be the third surgery date for me, during my first pre-testing my chest x-ray's showed masses in my chest and all the doctors freaked and started to scream cancer. I was lucky and it turned out not to be but to be told the night before surgery that it was called off was an emotional let down. Second was canceled due to Hurricane Ike.

My doctor didn't require a diet prior to surgery so I haven't lost weight yet and am at my highest weight ever of 380 lbs. I'be dieted most of my life at at 42 my body is just worn out. I have diabeties, sarcoidosis and arthritis. I'm not expecting to be 105lbs, just to be healthier and have mobility back again would be wonderful.

Great thread, if all goes well I will be banded Friday, Oct 3. It's been a long road (started last year) but I know it will all be worth it. My BMI is 67 and I've been so worried that only people with a hundred pounds or so to lose did well with the lap band. Glad to know that isn't the case.

I'm on pins and needles right now as this will be the third surgery date for me, during my first pre-testing my chest x-ray's showed masses in my chest and all the doctors freaked and started to scream cancer. I was lucky and it turned out not to be but to be told the night before surgery that it was called off was an emotional let down. Second was canceled due to Hurricane Ike.

My doctor didn't require a diet prior to surgery so I haven't lost weight yet and am at my highest weight ever of 380 lbs. I'be dieted most of my life at at 42 my body is just worn out. I have diabeties, sarcoidosis and arthritis. I'm not expecting to be 105lbs, just to be healthier and have mobility back again would be wonderful.

Hi Ara,

Good luck Friday! You can do this! I am suprised your surgeon didn't have you diet at all. My Dr made me diet until my BMI was under 60 which took me 3 months on a liquid diet. I am 11 months into my band journey and I LOVE it! I would do it again in a heart beat! It has it's ups and downs, but I was ready. My arthritis was so bad I couldn't even walk around in stores to shop any more. I am down over 100 pounds and feel wonderful! My knees are still bad BUT they are 100% better then they were. I can walk around and I can go shopping and feel like a normal person. I went from a size 32 to an 18/20 when I went shpping yesterday!!

Good luck to you on your journey and PLEASE let me know how you are doing!!!!!

Thanks, the surgical facility that my doctor uses just called to say I've been bumped up so I'm second, have to be there at 6:30 Friday morning.

I went shopping this morning to buy things for tomorrow, melon pops since I can only have green, orange or yellow (no red or purple) beef & chicken stock as well as more crystal light mine was red so can't drink that before surgery.

I have a question, probably rather dumb but how do you strain broth? Also any hints for the first few weeks? I know those will be the worst since I'll only be able to eat liquids.

There are no dumb questions!

If you bought the broth it is strained. I think they meant if you boiled chicken to make the broth to strain it. They just want to make sure you don't have anything in it.

Lets see I had riccota cheese since I don't like cottage cheese very much. I had butternut squash Soup. I had protien shakes and the ones I liked best were the Van and CHoc by a company called powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury. I ordered them online. I really didn't feel like eating much so I did't have a hard time. My Dr went to mushies after only a week so I was able to have egg salad and tuna salad. Also I took and still take Flinstones chewable Vitamins, and tums for Calcium. Good Luck Friday! If you have any questions PLEASE feel free to ask! My e-mail address is wishes4444@aol.com.

Best wishes!

Thanks, I had wondered what they thought would be in broth, couldn't for the life of me think what in the world could case trouble in a can of stock or broth.< /p>

I already take flintstones as well as calcium chews, they took me off both of these for the last seven days as well as my glucosamine.

Since I'm limited in movement right now, because of the weight on my joints and the arthritis I've purchased a yoga program for seniors. I figure if an 80 year old can do it than I should at least be able to make a good effort.

Does anyone know of a good website to find out what your caloric intake should be daily? I've learned in the past that if I go below a level of calories my weight loss slows down but if I keep it inbetween the low and high for my BMI I lose much more. I just remember that it had to do with your BMI and how much you needed daily just to substain yourself (such as breathing etc) just can't remember the website or book I found the info in.

Hello Ara,

I wish you the best tomorrow!! I know you must be excited. I was sooo nervous the day before. I weighed a little more than you at 385. That was a little over a year ago. I am down about 70 lbs now and it really helps. Before, I could barely get around...now I am doing a little better. I just had my second fill about a week ago...so...maybe I will start to lose a little more. It has been slow but sure for me...but I am in no great big hurry. It just feels good to be losing and not gaining anymore. I have not had one gain since my first fill in January and I am very proud of that. A lot of people think the bypass is the only answer when you are a heavier, but I like the band just fine. I know you will do well with it. Here is wishing you the best tomorrow. Be sure to let us know how you make out....take care...bev

Thanks Beverly, I hope so. How often to people get fills? I was told it would be every few months or so, is this not correct?

Welcome Ara. It is nice you are getting the surgery so soon. Hope everything goes smoothly.

mindwing

:)

Thanks Beverly, I hope so. How often to people get fills? I was told it would be every few months or so, is this not correct?

I have had 3. I know people who have had a lot of them. I guess everyone is different. My second fill was too much and I suffered for a long time. I should have gotten an unfill but my ins doesn't cover my fills and it costs 375.00 and if they had unfilled I would have needed a fill again in two weeks. So I delt with it. Anyway most Drs wait 6 weeks for the very first fill. Then it will depend on you. Good luck Friday!

I got my band in Sept 2007 and had my first fill in January 2008. Usually the first fill is about six weeks after surgery, but my port incision got infected so I had to wait. Then as long as I was losing at least a pound a week, the doc said I didn't need a fill. This last time when I went back, my weight had stayed the same...sooo..I got my second fill. I have seen people on here that get lots of fills so I guess it depends on the doctor. I am glad that mine does his the way he does...no need of getting a fill unless you are not losing weight. Let us know how you make out with your surgery and if you have any questions...ask away. Take Care and Good Luck....bev

Thanks so much guys, I slept in today when I woke I had a melon flavored popsicle for Breakfast and sat down to look over my diet for the next few weeks again. I've made a list of what to get, some I've never had such as Cream of Wheat or Malt-O-Meal, lol we southerners eat grits so it will be fun to try the new things. I've got some Protein powder, but I've also got a friend who buys his from a place online that he really likes so I'll order some of those just to try.

So far my grocery list is as follows, please let me know of anything you found that you liked and did well on the tummy.

1% Milk

Light Yogurts (smooth type)

sugar free low fat pudding

fruit juice (Apple and Cranberry)

Reduced fat Cream Soups

Instant mashed potatoes

Grits

Cream of Wheat

Jello

popsicles

Broth/Stock

It's going to be a stuggle to get in the Protein the first few weeks but I'll do my best.