Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introductions.

Hey everyone!!!

I started my Pre-Op Diet today and so far it's not going so well!!! The shakes are BLAH!!!! Any suggestions would be great from anyone! They are just so like gritty and leave a funk after taste and I have only had one of them LoL. Totally dreading the next. Anyways, my surgery is scheduled for July 30th and I can't wait. My BMI is 62 and weight is 370 (wow ive never told anyone that but my mom!). My Pre-Op appointment is scheduled for July 17th so hopefully I can loose a few pounds before then. I am so happy to have found this site. :smile:

- Amber

Hello. I am 45 (oh, well actually I'll be 46 on August 5th), and my BMI is 65.5. I weigh 429 (as of my last weigh in about 1 month ago, I fear I've gained a bit since I've been eating more than I should). My highest weight was 444. I go tomorrow for the upper GI (barium swallow test, I believe). This Tuesday, July 29th, I go for blood work, EKG and Chest x-ray, then meet with the Bariatric Coordinator who will start me on my 1 week pre-op liquid diet. My surgery is scheduled for August 5th! I am excited, yet very nervous. I've read many posts on lapbandtalk where folks have said surgery and recovery was a breeze, but I wonder, for all you "Super Size" folks, was the recovery a bit harder? I have terrible knees (need knee replacement), and cannot stand for more than 10 minutes or walk far. I can't even straighten my legs out flat when I am laying down cause it hurts too much. I asked the surgeon if they could put rolled up towels under my knees during surgery and he said they probably could. I asked this because when I'm under the anesthesia, I'm sure my legs would probably lay down flat, but when I awake and start moving around, I'm afraid my knees will be killing me. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm so happy to have found this forum to chat with other people in the same boat as me. Nobody knows what it's like to carry so much weight around, unless you are living it day in and day out. I look forward to hearing from all of you!

Rose Ann

Welcome pink and thanks for posting. I wish you luck on your surgery. :thumbup:

Hi~

I joined when this forum was first started, but haven't been on for awhile. My name is Bev and I just turned 56 on July 8th. It has been almost a year since I got my lapband. I must say I thought I would be farther along than I am. I figured that with a starting weight of 385, I would probably lose quickly. I know a lot of people do when they are heavier. I got a slow start though. I was banded in Sept and didn't get my first fill until January because of an infected port site. I was whining to my surgeon and he said he thought I was doing okay since I had all negative numbers since my first (and only) fill. Sometimes, I guess we expect more from our bands than is possible. I am struggling right now with breaking 320. I appreciate you all letting me vent some. Thanks and take care....bev

Bev you are doing fantastic. Don't feel bad. Everyone loses differently. Good luck.

Hey Everybody! My name is Michele, I am 25 and I just had my lapband done on july 10th. When I started my process I weighed 372, BMI of 58.3 (hope that is close enough) Well I cam across this group and got a little excited! You see a lot of people in other forums have had the surger at a weight of like 220 or less, so I feel I have diffeent struggles then them, not to say they didn't need it as much as I did, just personally If I weighed 220 I would be jumping for joy! Also most patients that have a BMI of 55 or higher are more likly to opt for the Bypass. So I am so glad for there are others in my same boat! Hope to make some good friends on here and will check in again soon!!!! :biggrin2:

You're close enough. Welcome to the group. I started this group at a bmi of 61.9 now I am at 58.8 so lol I am not a 60+ er now either. I wish you great success with your band. I hope to be as happy as you all when I get mine in November.

Hi Michele!

You are right about the people who are starting much lower then us. I wish them luck too, but heck I would love to weight 220 lol! Don't worry though we will get there! You must be pretty tall my BMI was 65.5 I am 5'2". It's slow but sure, I have days where I get annoyed but I must say I LOVE my BAND!!!!

Hey Rose Ann (pinkposey)

I have bad knees too. I need them replaced as well. The worst part for me was the 10 days before surgery without my Voltairn(anit inflamatory pills) I thought I would die. The pain was so bad my Rumitologist gave me injections and that helped a bit, but without those pills I was a cripple. The good news is that with the weight loss my knees are better. I still need new knees but I can go shopping and I can walk around without feeling like my legs are going to kill me! In fact last week I went to see some falls in PA and I yes ME I climbed over 250 steps to the top! I felt like I had climbed MT Everest. I was so happy that I was able to walk all the way into the falls and then climb the stairs to the top!

Anyway don't worry because the pain meds they give you after the surgery your knees will love! Mine did!! I had to get up every hour and walk for 15 mins and I thought no way will my knees stand for it, but on the drugs they give you my knees were fine!

Keep in touch good luck!

Edited by Wishes4444

Hi Michele,

Welcome to the board! I found that a lot of people expected that I would more quickly because I was heavier, but I am a slow loser. I was really glad to find this board and signed up right away. Nice group of people here and they are willing to help you whenever they can. Take care and lots of luck on your journey....bev

Hi my name is Bertha my starting BMI was 76 I have lost 31 LBS since May 15th. Getting banded on Aug 19th 2008. My BMI is now 72 I have lost 3 inches on my waist and 1 on my hips. I started weighing 456 I now weigh 426. I am on a liquid diet since July 25th and leaving on vacation Mon-Friday with my 7yr old son and my husband and mom & dad and I have to stay on liquids thats going to be hard.

Hi Berties,

WTG on your weight loss and you gine inches!! As for the liquid diet you can do it on vacation, I know you can! Look how much it has done for you already! I know how you feel, Last summer I started my liquid diet on the 8th and went on vacation on the 11th. My husband and kids were very supportive, but my sister was trying to get me to wait and start the diet when we came back. I said NO it's time to start now and I did it. Yes it was hard but I kept looking at the big picture. I wanted the surgery and my Dr wouldn't touch me until I had a BMI under 60 so I knew I had to do it. I was on 3 shakes a day for the first 4 weeks then for the next 8 weeks I did 2-3 shakes a day and 1-2 pieces of fruit. My Dr had said I caould have the fruit from the first day but I wanted to try just the shakes for the first month. Yes it is hard but SOOOOO worth it! You can do it!!!!! I know you can!!! You are so close to your surgery date YAHOOOO!!

Best Wishes!