Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hey Jessica...thanks for sharing your photo. Looking good!

How ya doing, Arlene? Better today, I hope. Ultrasound provide any info???

Apples, yep, a better food day......the weather sucks.....rain.....cold, but should be a sunny weekend. I guess I have to change my exercise from walking to riding a bike in the house. I have a plan.......just need to form a habit.

The new baby is good.......should be due Sept 13th. I am going to be busy with a two year old. I just hope this new doctor is prepared for my DD's possible complications. You know she herniated a disk and hemorrhaged last time. It was scary. She delivered at 3am. The doctor was not prepared for the blood loss. Anyway, everything is good now. She may have a c-section this time.

Jessica -- great picture -- what a huge difference in your avitar pic -- wtg -- you're doing so great! Congrats on your labs too - you are doing great on everything in your life! Good for you and keep it up.

Apples, I did not think you were being harsh so relax -- but truly, truly I am confused as I am eating/exercising the EXACT SAME way I was before surgery -- when I say I eat the SAME I mean I really really eat pretty much the same food every day -- so I just don't understand why that formula stopped working. I eat usually around 950 to 1150 calories per day -- I usually burn around 850 -- so in reality I am only getting 100 to 300 actual calories per day on days I exercise (which is usually every day). I just wanted to clarify that with all of you who think I need to eat more -- I will try it - not sure I really can eat a whole lot more but will try. I log all my foods every day on Daily Plate, so I know I'm accurate on that. If you all really think I need to up it I'll try it for a week, but ohhh, I'm so afraid. Also just to clarify: here's my "normal" diet: B/F 1/2 cup mixed strawberries/blueberries with 1 fat free Yoplait Yogurt (300 cal) mid morning -- 1 banana; lunch -- egg beater omelette made with 1/2 C. egg beaters with 2 slices fat free cheese (160 calories), mid afternoon usually a 100 calorie popcorn or a 100 calorie rice krispie treat; dinner -- 4 oz. of chicken or fish and a veggie -- usually green Beans or zucchini. Then I usually have a sf pudding and a fudgesicle after dinner and before bed. I very seldom eat anything other than this. How does this compare to what you guys all eat?

Well, I will CBL -- gotta get back to work -- I'm home on my lunch hour. Thanks to all of you for your kindness, support, suggestions, etc. I hate to be B&M constantly about this but I am so concerned about why this is happening -- Lori, I don't remember you having any big plateaus like this when you got close to goal -- did I miss that? Janet/Apples - did you have issues like this and if so, how long did it take before the loss started again. I try so hard to just ACCEPT what is going on, but you all understand that is hard at this point. I want to get to that 132 goal because then I will truly feel that I accomplished what I needed to, and I'll feel like I'll have a 3 to 5 lb. leeway if I need it. Right now if I gain 3 lbs. I'm back to an obese BMI - that's not where I want/need to be -- I want to be closer to Normal.

Janet, I hear you on the people who think we did nothing and the band did all the work. So often when I tell people I had the surgery they go "OHHHHHHHH" like that explains it. Then I usually follow up with -- you may not realize it but the lap band is only a tool, you still have to change your lifestyle, exercise and keep sweets out of your mouth." Grrrr.

Lori, hope your DD and her DF get it all figured out -- I can't believe he actually sold the Corvette -- that's pretty impressive. No wonder DD is struggling so much -- that's a very difficult position she's in.

Laura, party sounds great. Are you going to be riding a bike too? Hugs on your dad's newest problems -- hoping it all gets better soon.

WEll, TTYAL -- thanks again Cheri, Eva and everyone who gave me such good advice/suggestions -- I hope my experience will only help those who will follow in my band steps. Linda

Hi everyone, I'm still here, but oh boy, what a few days. Evidentally the traction was not a good thing... I just had a little on Thursday, but by Friday I was not feeling well... A bit dizzy and just not right... It kept getting worse until I was down in bed.... Dizzy, nauseous, belching.... Over the years this has happened to me numerous times... My neck goes out and it pinches a nerve in the 5th cervical vertabrae that controls the digestive system and also blocks oxygen to the brain... PT didn't want me to go the the Chiropractor for a bit until we saw how things were going to turn out with the therapy.... So, I waited until yesterday for my regular pt appt... But I was in bad shape... almost too dizzy to walk.... felt sick, my back hurt from the base of my skull to the tailbone..... I was definitely not in a good mood either... Poor DH..... Anyway, they were alarmed that I had taken such a turn... Did a little electode therapy with a cold pack on my neck and a hot pack on my lower back and told me to go see my chiropractor... I did, immediately.... He gave me a treatment and when he hit that nerve on the 5th CV I had the strangest feeling... I started belching and thought I was going to throw up... It calmed and her finished.... Told me to go very easy but to go back to PT and tell them NO traction... Just do whatever we have to do to get this MRI..... I went home and went to bed and stayed there till last evening... Up for a bit, took pain pills and back to bed... Still tired, but feeling better.... I have accomplished the dishes and a few chores and Mimi is here... So is DH so he helps a lot...... I'm hoping that I'll be back to normal (whatever that is) very soon.....

I read all the posts, but can't begin to comment on them all.... Cheri, I loved all your inspiring words... Jessica, way to go girl... nice picture..... Laura, I say we plan to go out Saturday night... If we will all be tight from flying it would be best to do it that night I think.... Lori, hopig DD will be fine... Janet, I have that problem all the time because of the Vicodin I take everyday..... my sympathies...... Oh I would love to say things to all of you but just can't remember everything.. Forgive me please..... Gotta go change Mimi..... She needs to smell better I think.....

Love to all.... Maybe be back this evening... Julie

Good afternoon. Just got home from shopping. I decided I needed a pair of denim capri/crops. Do you think I could find any? Oh they were out there, it appears that the 'distressed' look is the thing this year and they all have big holes and bleach stains on them, that just doesn't cut it for this old lady. So the search continues. Maybe the outlets in FL will have some for me!

Speaking of shopping I even stopped in Macy's to look for capris. Does anyone else feel intimidated by that store? I get so lost and confused in there that I avoid it like the plague. I am so used to having to go to the back corner to the large section that now that I can shop in the regular sizes I am so confused by all their various depts. I knew I liked Jones so I asked for that one, just my luck they don't carry it at that store. So then I thought I'd shop for Grandma she loves alfred Dunner, nope don't carry that at that one either. So up to housewares I go to look at the pots and pans DD wants for a wedding gift, nope don't carry them at that store. SHEEESH! Guess I will skip that Macy's for now on. Do they all carry different stuff???

Count me in for wanting to eat out in FL, I am always in for eating out! anytime any where! LOL

Apples, glad you finally got some sun in FL and are enjoying soaking it in. Good thing your son got out of that relationship, is he in a new one now?

Linda, I hit small plateaus along the way of about a week or two and never hit a big one unless you count now. I got to 180 (I'm 5'9) and just stopped no matter what I did. I really struggled because normal BMI for me is 169 and I was feeling like such a failure because I was not 'normal' and still overweight. My surgeon took one look at me and said, 'girl you are at goal' given my height and my frame, bones etc. he said I needed to work on accepting it. He said the BMI is just a guideline and not a one size fits all. In fact he doesn't want me to go below 176, but I so bad want to hit 176 (and not go over 185). Since hitting 180 (got to 178 a few times) I just sit here, I eat way more than I did losing and still here I sit I don't gain easily either, so that is a good thing. my body is very comfortable where it is I guess. I wonder when I up the exercise again after my knees let me if I will lose again or not. I even maintained this weight since my first knee surgery in Oct with no exercise since then unless you count therapy. I eat pretty similar to you, I have my yogurt in the morning with Kashi Cereal mixed in for the Fiber instead of the fruit. I haven't logged on daily plate in some time but averaged about the same calories. I am sure if I got a lower body lift especially I'd be in smaller clothes and lose a few pounds that way. I have struggled so much accepting my weight that my surgeon wants to see me back in May to prove to me that I can be happy at this weight and that I am normal.

Jewel, well no one can ever say now that you dn't have a heart, cause now you can show 'em a picture of you holding one. LOL You are looking good too!

Julie, no more traction for you. Glad they figured out why you were sick and hurting. We promise not to hang you up in FL. LOL

Great...I think DS is a little "gun shy" after all the drama...I will explain all in person in FL. He is not at all shy and does date but not looking for a relationship at this time. It was all good until the moment she moved in with him. The example I wanted to make was that he had a "gut" feeling when she said she wanted to move in with him from MN to FL. They had been dating for 2 yrs prior to that and she was hiding her illness from him and kept going off her meds. After finding out about how she was handling life and hearing him call her "crazy", I tried to convince him to look at it as an illness no different than diabetes. She just took it all too far. Better now than when married and involving children in it all.

Try TJMAXX for capris if you have time to look. They have every style, every rise, etc.

Linda...the closer I got to goal, the slower the weightloss. I hit a couple of long plateaus...maybe a month long each. I sometimes wonder if medications play a roll with some ppl. I deal with kidney stones and have since 1994. When I would be hospitalized and medicated, I would gain a lot of weight. I am not sure if you took many pain meds with your hip but maybe that's a part of it. I do think it's smart for you to change up your diet a bit. Maybe do a couple of high protein/low carb days at a few higher cals and see what happens. I understand your fear of gaining with upping cals though.

Julie..sorry you are felling funky. Hope all is better soon. Also hope you are cleared for an MRI. Way to long to go with pain and suffering.

Hi Julie, so sorry about your latest -- honestly, it's amazing how you endure all that you do. Hope it gets better and they approve you for that MRI. Apples and Lori, thanks for the reassurance. I don't think it's the vicodin cause I was on it daily for many months before surgery due to all the pain I had. I take one at bedtime now still to help me relax so I don't think it's that, but that was a good suggestion. Thanks for reassuring me that you both did hit some plateaus. Sometimes it seems like I read lots of blogs and things and some people seem to never have plateaus. So I feel better just know you guys did too. Thanks for that.

Apples sounds like your son had a very scary ex. My uncle was married briefly to a woman who grew up on the farm next door and they fell in love very early on in life. Well, they married, she got pregnant, had a son. My uncle came home from the steel mill one day and found her holding a butcher knife up ready to stab their baby (a few months old). She was diagnosed with paranoid schizz (sp?) and remained in an asylum (back them they still had them) until she died, i think in the 1970s. The baby grew up and is now almost 60 so it all ended well . My uncle however was never able to get divorced because back then it was harder. Mental disorders are nothing to mess around with, but I feel so sorry for your DS. Although difficult, I'm sure it also broke his heart -- very tough.

Well gang, it's time for me to get on home. CBL. Linda

Deb, get back on that horse!!!!!! Throw out all the bad foods!!!

Linda,

I think Apples may be right. You look a little low on Protein. Increase the protein a lot for a few days--more meat maybe, and cut your carbs. Your overall calories need to be higher. You really can put your body into starvation mode where it conserves energy so well that losing weight is almost impossible.

Jessica, great pic. Lori, your Dr. is absolutely right. I saw the picture of you with Apples. You looked fantastic. (I have the right person don't I? My memory is for sh!!)

Julie you're scaring me. I really think I'd get a lawyer to write a letter to your insurance co. and I'd report them to whatever powers-may-be that control the ins. co. I sure hope the democrats and republicans can get their act together on better regulation of the insurance companies.

I think I'd stick with massage and as little manipulation as possible and no traction. You should do as little as possible to your neck until you have that MRI. Nobody really knows what they're dealing with. They may damage your spinal cord permanantly if they continue to treat you without a good visual on what's wrong.

Poor baby. The Lord bless you and keep you and cause his face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you. The Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you his peace. The Lord heal your body and kick that insurance co. where it hurts.

Cheri

I got a sheet featuring "Useful Information Following Adjustment of the Lap-Band®" after my fill yesterday. Thought I'd type it out for all of you.

Useful Information Following Adjustment of the Lap-Band®

Care following your adjustment:

Consume liquids (i.e. Water, skim milk) for the remainder of the day. Progress soft foods over the next 2 days, then resume your healthy, low-fat diet.

FAQ's you may find helpful for continued success:

When do I need an adjustment?

• Tolerating larger volume
  • Satiety less after a meal.
  • Gaining weight.
  • Increased nausea, vomiting, heartburn.

What is an acceptable rate of weight loss?

• Approximately 1-2 lbs/week

What if I stop losing weight?

• You may need an EATING adjustment
  • You may need a BEHAVIOUR adjustment
  • You may need an ATTITUDE adjustment
  • You may need an ACTIVITY adjustment

Lap-Band EATING guidelines:

Eating 60-70 gms protein/day

• Eat Protein foods first.
  • Avoiding liquid calories--this includes ANYTHING that melts.
  • Make healthy food choices--each poor choice replaces a healthy choice.
  • Drink 64 oz. hydrating fluids daily, choose 0-calorie.
  • Limit length of meal to 10 minutes.

Lap-Band BEHAVIOR guidelines:

• Eat only when you are hungry.
  • Do not chew more than you normally would.
  • Eat at 3-4 hour intervals, including protein at each feeding.
  • Have you 'cleaned' your eating environment of distractions?
    • Avoid eating in front of the TV
    • Designated a place for eating in the home--the table, not the couch.
    • Separate eating & work time--your desk space is not your serving platter

[*]Are you following the 3x30 minute rule?

Lap-Band ACTIVITY guidelines:

• Participating in at least 30-45 minutes of additional physical activity daily.
  • Increase your activity intensity so you are unable to whistle a tune or sing a song.
  • Consider adding resistance training, to increase your energy burning potential.

Lap-Band ATTITUDE guidelines:

• Are you committed?
  • Are you totally honest with yourself re: how much you are eating & exercising:
  • Are you 'using' food to deal with your emotional issues?
  • Are you attending and participating in support groups?
  • Do you have realistic expectations of your weight loss?
  • Are you obsessing over food, weight, dieting, eating, adjustments?

A few things I found interesting or want to add to:

• If we're obsessing we're in the disease even if its over our food plan and I would have added obsessing over exercise.
  • There comes a point at which the returns from increasing your exercise intensity diminish. I can climb forty-seven steps repeatedly and still sing a song.
  • I eat while watching TV and simultaneously posting with my support group or blog and I eat less because I eat so much slower and just stop because my mind and fingers are busy.
  • 60-70gms protein is a lot of protein. Not a lot of room for a whole lot more if you eat that first.
  • Milk is a liquid with calories. I put it in my coffee to add protein and other good things. And I count it towards my total liquids which I've read from my health insurance is just fine. You don't need 64 oz of water on top of whatever other caloried drinks you have. That's a myth.
  • Liquids that melt? I know ice cream but what about sf pudding and yoghurt? And Protein Shakes?
  • Limit meals to 10 minutes? Yeah, maybe after I get done pbing on the first bite. But what about the 3x30 rule? 30 minutes no liquid, eat 30 minutes, 30 minutes no liquid.
  • Do not chew more than you usually would. Wow! All the advice on LBtalk to chew, chew, chew. But I can see the reason. We can eat around the band and keep on eating way too much if we overchew our protein or complex carbs and make it go through the donut hole.
  • As always, take what you like and works for you, and leave the rest.

Cheri

Edited by ifyourstomachoffendsyou

Hey all I am so excited for our Fl trip I can't wait. I am bringing my swimsuit just in case. I was just bringing casual stuff since Fl is a casual tourist place and nothing is every dressy there like Laura said.

Jessica - what a great pic

GRRRR I just hit reply to post my post and poof it went away.

Cheri, yes that was me in the photo with Apples, we met over Thanksgiving. Thanks for the nice comments.

Melissa, I will through in my swimsuit then too, afterall it can't take much room and am going casual as well.

Apples, sounds like a tough situation for your son, glad he came through it okay. Think my son is just dating right now too though getting close to wanting to settle down.

Thanks everyone, Great you are so funny, lol. It is amazing what a difference just 25 pounds made in the way I look. It works if you work it. Can't wait to see how differnt I am gonna look when I reach my goal.

Wow! I accidentally posted my last post long before I was done with it and editing it took forever. Thought the material was interesting and helpful. Just a pain to type. I don't have a scanner so had to type it all.

I was the tightest I've ever been when I got up this morning. Almost gave me a panic attack. I had to keep reminding myself that I was able to easily drink my Protein Drink the previous night and my band always opens up as the day goes on. You almost feel like you can't breathe when its that tight. Like--what am I going to do if I can never eat again or if this never goes down? But I switched from trying to swallow my cold Protein drink to having hot coffee with milk in it and that opened up the band.

So I'm OK and was able to eat just fine today. We'll see tomorrow morning what its like, but I may drink coffee first while I'm getting ready and the protein drink on the way to school.

But I'm really wondering why, for so many of us, the band feels tight in the morning and loose at night when we really need it to be the other way around? I did read an explanation for flying and its effect on the band. Less air pressure at higher altitudes allows the air in the band to expand, but maybe they meant the liquid expands. So, when we sleep, does the liquid expand? Or does our stomach swell and make the band tighter?

School is making me nuts. Kids are making me nuts. I've got to get my mojo back, but January and February are long teaching months without much of a break. I'm just plain crabby. Testing is first week in March and I thought it was closer to or actually in April. I'm always looking to get more time to teach them more and get them farther along. Aargh. I am less than patient with them right now because I care about the test results a whole lot more than they do.

I also think that this year NCLB is requiring us to go back to testing the kids on a whole different test than what the whole school does. So my kids get tested twice, and its the worst headache I've ever had trying to test 1rst through 8th grade kids on the same days. The scheduling is a nightmare and all the teachers are angry that the kids are out of their classrooms.

Aargh.

Cheri

I read a theory as to why the band is tighter in the mornings. The article I read said it had to do with how the fluids in the body settle at night when you are sleeping and lying down. After you are up the fluids redistribute again and you loosen up as the day goes on.