Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

I'm starting to have a BIG problem. I had my gallbladder taken out about 6 weeks ago and every since then my whole appetite has changed for the worse. Slowly my weight has started to increase, I gained 5 lbs in the past few weeks. I can eat twice the portion of food and I'm hungry 1 hour after my meals and in between my meals. I was never like that before I had my gallbladder taken out. Before I would eat 3 meals a day and not be hungry and it would be losing 2 lbs a week. Now i'm gaining like 1/2 lbs a day. Honestly, lately for the past two weeks, I've been struggle with eatting hungry and not drinking liquids as I was before. I'm just hungry all the time and not thristy. I haven't really been making the right food choice lately either. I did join a gym 2 weeks ago and I go 2-3 times a week.

Does anyone know someone who has lapband and had their gallbladder taken out? did they go through this side effect like I am. I can't get another fill because my insurance won't pay for them anymore. I'm 11 months out from having my surgery (surgery date 10/23/07) and I've had 5 fills so far. I'm a 8.5 cc out of 10 cc. The restriction is not there anymore.

HI Friends,

Well, I'm home and it wasn't bad at all. The Dr. put 3.5 cc into my size 9 band. I'm not sure what that's going to mean in terms of restriction, but I'll find out in a few days. He wants me on liquids for 3 days, then mushies, then soft foods, so it's going to be a long weekend.

I must admit that I'm still scared and I haven't even had much to drink today, because of it.

Have to write again later, since a computer expert is here to fix my hubby's computer and he's going to shut me down. I'll write again as soon as he's done.

How much can I eat after a fill like that?

Love,

Ellen

Ellen - See we told you it wasn't going to be bad :cool2: To me your post fill diet isn't that bad - my doc wants a week on each stage :w00t:. Make my cream of bean Soup - have Protein shake for Breakfast or lunch - you can have puddings & yogurts... It' won't be that bad.

How much you can eat will depend on how much restriction you get from this fill - my 1st fill i felt right aways - could only eat 1/2 container of yogurt - but it only lasted about a week - went back and got another fill which truly put me at my sweet spot - on that fill I ate about 1/2 - 3/4 1 cup max depending on what I ate and it was usually my rice fish veggie - I have been eating that for over a yr now

The gulpping is the real sign that you need a fill - when I wasn't at my sweet spot I could still gulp Water - now I forget - then get a pain til it goes down.. Sips.... I miss gulpping :tt2:)

Yeah, I missed it. I love Biggest Looser. Maybe I will get back into Dr. Phil.

Well, I got my tuna, Water and Protein shakes ready again for IKE. This time I think it is the real deal. We are under a voluntary evacuation, but tomorrow it will be mandatory.:sad: I guess we will board up. You guys please pray for our area(Texas Gulf coast).

Well, I think this second fill has helped a little, but I still can eat a whole lean cuisine without restriction. Is that bad?

Charlene - Prayers & Hugs for you and family :) I can barely eat a whole lean cuisine alfredo fettuchine which I add some scallops or shrimp to - it measures 1 full cup and the last few bites are really pushing it - I don't eat to many frozen dinners - but that one I love with scallops or shrimp added - to die for - real comfort food - I take 3 scallops and cook in a little evoo & butter with garlice - cook the alfred in the micro - then add the cooked scallop (not the oil but just the scallops) If you can eat that and not feel full - then yes I would say you need another fill.. But since that's the only one I eat - that's all I can go by..

Charlene, I will say prayers for you the IKE doesn't happen there. That would be scary. Ellen, just go slow with your fill and you should be fine. Hey Janet, how are you doing?I cleaned out closets today. I sure have alot of clothes to get rid of. Why am I scared to give them away? Also, when I shop it is real hard for me not to go to Womens plus departments and look. I went to Catherines for my new undies and of course I looked around.

Beckyo:biggrin:

Becky you are afaird to get rid of them because before after you got off your diet you gained the weight back and had to buy new fat clothes again.

This time is different so don't be afraid - different how you ask - well this time you aren't on a diet - you are making a lifetime lifestyle change in your eating and you have your little tool installed to help you.. You aren't ever going to go off this - you are going to eat this new healthy way for the rest of your life you are adding exercise into your life - this isn't a diet that you are every going to quit - cuz you are never going back to eating the way you did before - so don't be afaird - get rid of the stuff - give it to your local shelter or if you do go to support groups they have clothing exchanges..

It takes awhile to get use to the regular sectiion - but let me tell you the 1st time you buy those 14 12 10 8 - omw you are never going to want to go back the the BBW section.. I don't miss it - now I have the WHOLE MALL to shop in - not just a couple of BBW stores...

I'm starting to have a BIG problem. I had my gallbladder taken out about 6 weeks ago and every since then my whole appetite has changed for the worse. Slowly my weight has started to increase, I gained 5 lbs in the past few weeks. I can eat twice the portion of food and I'm hungry 1 hour after my meals and in between my meals. I was never like that before I had my gallbladder taken out. Before I would eat 3 meals a day and not be hungry and it would be losing 2 lbs a week. Now i'm gaining like 1/2 lbs a day. Honestly, lately for the past two weeks, I've been struggle with eatting hungry and not drinking liquids as I was before. I'm just hungry all the time and not thristy. I haven't really been making the right food choice lately either. I did join a gym 2 weeks ago and I go 2-3 times a week.

Does anyone know someone who has lapband and had their gallbladder taken out? did they go through this side effect like I am. I can't get another fill because my insurance won't pay for them anymore. I'm 11 months out from having my surgery (surgery date 10/23/07) and I've had 5 fills so far. I'm a 8.5 cc out of 10 cc. The restriction is not there anymore.

Hugs and sorry for your stuggles - Long2btn just had her gallbladder out and she is newly banded and I don't think she is having these issues - your gall bladder has nothing to do with your hunger - it has bile in it to metabolizm the fat we eat.

I really don't know what to tell you - since you can't go back to the doc cuz your ins won't pay for a fill - I gotta ask here - why did you get banded if you can't maintain it. It will only work if it's properly maintained.. I don't understand and my insurance doesn't have a limitatipn on # of fills..

Also there is the possibility that your band has been damaged when you have your surgery or you have slipped - if you had restriction prior to your gall bladder surgery - and don't now - did the same doc who banded you do your gall bladder surgery

As to making poor food choices - that's up to you not your band - it can't do that for you - I am glad you are going to the gym that's really important.

Suggestion - save the $$ and go back to get a fill &/or call your insurance and find out what's up with them..

In the meantime you just have to make healthy food choices and do your exercise..

But I would really ck w/your doctor

I ate the whole pork chop which was about 4 oz and some sugar free applesauce. I also had a tiny bit of salad. I was full but since I didn't experience any hiccups or tightening in my throat, I am assuming that I am not properly restricted. I put a call into the doctor. I am waiting for a call back.

I met someone yesterday who lost 95 lbs. She joined Curves. So I called but it is pricey! My kids go to a full service gym and it is much cheaper. But I didn't like going to the gym when I had a mermbership years ago........

I've thought about saving the money but I can only imagine how much it would cost because he does it in the hospital. I'm imagining close to $1,000 because if it was cheaper than my insurance would have paid for more than two fills. I'm going to call today to get a quote because they are still trying to fight the appeal with 10 other people with the same insurance to get them approved. All insurances are different but unfortunatley mine just recently made those changes.

I got banded in the first place to get healthy and I know the band is just a tool and not a weight loss miracle. " you have to work with your band etc etc." I'm the one to blame on the poor eatting habits lately but it's just wierd that it happen now. I'm 11 months out from this surgery and I lost 80 lbs and I was doing fine mainting my band prior to my gallbladder. The same doc who did my lapband done my gallbladder surgery.

When I had my pre-op testing done, it was discovered I had a bad gallbladder, and had to have it removed. My gallstone was the size of a small golf ball! After the surgery, I felt better. My appetite was normal. If your appetite is out of control, I'd talk to you doctor, and also try to eat foods that are lower in fat. Hope you start feeling better.

Patti

banded 8-22-08

I had my gall bladder out 5 weeks ago today. And no I haven't had any of those problems, if anything I had less of an appetite. It took my system a bit to get used to no gall bladder and I had a bad tummy for awhile (diarrhea), I've actually lost 12 lbs since I had it out, and have had a fill since then. I can't believe your doc charges $1000 for a fill. Are you sure about that? Can you find a different doc then for fills? Mine are $100 now that I am more than 3 mos post banding. But I agree with Janet, you do need to maintain your band and check with your dr. to make sure all is right.

Charlene, I will say prayers for you the IKE doesn't happen there. That would be scary. Ellen, just go slow with your fill and you should be fine. Hey Janet, how are you doing?I cleaned out closets today. I sure have alot of clothes to get rid of. Why am I scared to give them away? Also, when I shop it is real hard for me not to go to Womens plus departments and look. I went to Catherines for my new undies and of course I looked around.

Charlene, hope you are safe from Ike

Becky, I know how you feel about the clothes. I just had my husband move my bag to the basement for now. I know that this time is different like Janet says about losing the weight, but guess I can't quite get out of my mind how many times I have gotten rid of the clothes only to need them again. I guess I am just fearful. I thought if they were out of sight, out of mind, that a month or two it would be easier to donate them some place.

I ate the whole pork chop which was about 4 oz and some sugar free applesauce. I also had a tiny bit of salad. I was full but since I didn't experience any hiccups or tightening in my throat, I am assuming that I am not properly restricted. I put a call into the doctor. I am waiting for a call back.

I met someone yesterday who lost 95 lbs. She joined Curves. So I called but it is pricey! My kids go to a full service gym and it is much cheaper. But I didn't like going to the gym when I had a mermbership years ago........

You did find -you don't want to fill tightening - you want to eat and feel normal - full on a smaller amount of food. That's the band working..

As to the gym issue - you know what - ya when I 1st joined it wasn't the easiest - but you know what I was doing it for me - I got on the treadmil and did my thing - screw the rest of the pple there and what they thought of this fat old lady on the treadmill sweating like a pig. If we let what we think that pple think about us from stopping do something for ourselves we are just sabotaging ourselves - do you know most pple aren't looking at you like you think they are.

10 or 11 months out the pple at the front desk stopped me one day to congratulate me on my weight loss - when you come in you give them your # and your original photo pops up - well - for all those months they never really paid attention - heck they saw me 4-5 days a week - but then they really looked at my photo from when I joined and the now me -

I think that was one of my proudest moments - having them acknownledge my weight loss -the manager calls me skinny and tells me how good I look...

So don't worry about what pple think = you are doing this for you ..

I've thought about saving the money but I can only imagine how much it would cost because he does it in the hospital. I'm imagining close to $1,000 because if it was cheaper than my insurance would have paid for more than two fills. I'm going to call today to get a quote because they are still trying to fight the appeal with 10 other people with the same insurance to get them approved. All insurances are different but unfortunatley mine just recently made those changes.

I got banded in the first place to get healthy and I know the band is just a tool and not a weight loss miracle. " you have to work with your band etc etc." I'm the one to blame on the poor eatting habits lately but it's just wierd that it happen now. I'm 11 months out from this surgery and I lost 80 lbs and I was doing fine mainting my band prior to my gallbladder. The same doc who did my lapband done my gallbladder surgery.

If you pay cash you can negoiate the price most times - heck they may charge the insurance company $1000 buck - but the insurance compamy only really pays like $200 and they write off the rest.

I think it's just a coincident that your hunger has returned with the loss of your gallbladder and that they are not connected - but heck I am no doctor..

Do they have fill centers around your area - I would look into that - I think I have read they charge like $150 not sure don't quote me on that but go above - I think there is an adverstiment on the top of the board for the Fill Center USA - You can ck to see if they have one close to you..

Going to they gym is going to help alot - Keep it up - You can do this.. Keep us post.

I I know how you feel about the clothes. I just had my husband move my bag to the basement for now. I know that this time is different like Janet says about losing the weight, but guess I can't quite get out of my mind how many times I have gotten rid of the clothes only to need them again. I guess I am just fearful. I thought if they were out of sight, out of mind, that a month or two it would be easier to donate them some place.

Lori - Mine sat in my bed room for a long time - before freinds came and got what they wanted and then the remainder went to the local shelter.

Now I love taking the things that don't fit and putting them in a separate pile - I feel a great sense of accomplishment.

Charlene - Prayers and Hugs again - Hope your home is going to be safe and you & your family are too..

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Where is everyone ??

Charlene is running from Ike (hugs & prayers)

Ellen hows your fill doing

Becky - you doing ok

Kathy- any more traveling

Lori - how's my jedi warror

Tina - How was today..

Well last night I almost broke my ankle - how you ask - well sitting here on the computer posting (with legs crossed) - signed off got up and I guess my left foot fell asleep - cuz it would not respond to my brain - it buckled under me and I fell.. It frickin hurt - all I kept thinking was oh please don't let it be broken - well took me about 5 minutes to even move it - put ice on it and can walk - but my achillies tendon is all swollen - need to got ice it again...

Well, that's all I really have to report - for now - gotta fix somethng to eat too.. so of to the kitchen - will check back later..

I hope Charlene is running real fast and has a place to go. Ike looks pretty awful. My prayers are with all those people on the Texas coast tonight.

Hi girls tonight, Charlene- hope you got out of there:cursing:.Went and took a fast two mile walk tonight. Just got home a little while ago. Gosh Janet, hope you leg is okay:thumbdown:. Thats a bummer. We don't need you to be down and out now. Just keep it on ice and rest it a little bit. Maybe you will have to skip a time or two of exercise. I know thats not what you want to here. My daughter went so friggen fast around the park that she about killed me. She says its good for me but then again she is 24 and thin and I am 54 and fat ya know. I am getting so much better at puttin on the speed when I walk now. Just checking in tonight. Hope everyone is doing well.

Hi girls tonight, Charlene- hope you got out of there:cursing:.Went and took a fast two mile walk tonight. Just got home a little while ago. Gosh Janet, hope you leg is okay:thumbdown:. Thats a bummer. We don't need you to be down and out now. Just keep it on ice and rest it a little bit. Maybe you will have to skip a time or two of exercise. I know thats not what you want to here. My daughter went so friggen fast around the park that she about killed me. She says its good for me but then again she is 24 and thin and I am 54 and fat ya know. I am getting so much better at puttin on the speed when I walk now. Just checking in tonight. Hope everyone is doing well.

Thanks Becky - Ya that's what I was thinking if I had broke it no exercise - that would be awful - I can't beleive I am saying that but that's how much I have changed in a year :sad: It's swollen and ankle and side of foot is going to have an ugly bruise an my toes too.. But I will live - it's a sprain - I just know that falls when you are older can cause some problems - I thank God that it's just a sprain could have been a lot worse..

Great doing on the exercise - and I promise you it really will get easier and next year you will be saying what I just said above - I gotta exercise :)..

Ok back to the couch and elevation... I will talk to you all tomorrow

oh wait I made a really great dinner...

1st get some pasailla chilis (the chili releno kind they are not hot) put them on the gas flame to char skin all around and put in a plastic bag and wrap in a towel - cool then peel of chared skin - brown Ground turkey in a little oil with onion & bell pepper garlic powder - add some corn and Tomato sauce and a little splenda - cook - then slit chili's stuff with meat mixture and put on a sprayed cookie sheet - top with a little pepper jack cheese (I used habenaro but it's a little spicy so use either the pepper jack or plain jack) - oven 350 about 10 minutes until cheese melt.

OMW Yummy...

Janet, Wow! You are lucky that you didn't break something. Hubby would say, "Keep the ice on." He's a weekend warrior and is still hitting the basketball courts, as if he were a teenager. I have no room in my freezer for food. It's filled with ice packs, ready for any and all injuries!

Charlene, my thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone in the storm area. Please stay safe.

Thanks for the support, everyone. I've really needed it. Your love allays my fears and gives me strength. Thank you soooooooo much. It's been a hard two days. I've lost weight in the 36 hours since the fill, which I know is Water weight, but watching the scale move is invigorating. Kathy, how are you feeling? You just had your first fill, too.

I AM, however, definitely in mourning over the loss of my ability to "use and abuse" food. There is a sadness in me that is hard to explain. I'm hoping that I reach a place where I start getting high on how I look and feel - and that those feelings will take over.

As for the clothes issue that everyone's discussing, - Becky you started me thinking: so much food for thought!!! When I lost weight on the Dr. Phil program, he kept telling everyone to get rid of the bigger clothes. I didn't. I couldn't. Sadly, I ended up needing them again.

This time I feel pretty much the same way. I'm still not as thin as I was back then (about 10 pounds away) which still leaves me PLENTY overweight. A lot of my clothes are now too big but I haven't even removed them from my closet. This is all so new. I guess I have to have a little more faith in this process and in myself. That's another thing that's hard to do.

Lori, I did pack up that red jacket that I wore to the first Dr. Phil show the year before I met you. When I told him that I didn't want to be noticed, he said, "Then why did you wear red?!!!" I guess I did want him to notice me; I wanted him to perform a miracle. I think I'm a little smarter this time; I have to be the one who's the miracle maker, me and this band that's now inside me!

Well, I think I've run on long enough. sleep well.

Love,

Ellen

P.S. Lori, did you watch the two Dr. Phil Weight Loss Challenge shows? Did anyone else? I taped them, but haven't had a chance to watch. Just wondering what everyone thought.

Edited by wiredshut
forgot something

Tina, my daughter went to college in CT and they had a lot of good Y's there, some of them with full service gyms. Some of the gyms here are so overpriced, it's ridiculous. We've got a new one not far from us that's $10,000 a year to join!!!

Good luck.

Love,

Ellen

Where is everyone ??

Charlene is running from Ike (hugs & prayers)

Ellen hows your fill doing

Becky - you doing ok

Kathy- any more traveling

Lori - how's my jedi warror

Tina - How was today..

Well last night I almost broke my ankle - how you ask - well sitting here on the computer posting (with legs crossed) - signed off got up and I guess my left foot fell asleep - cuz it would not respond to my brain - it buckled under me and I fell.. It frickin hurt - all I kept thinking was oh please don't let it be broken - well took me about 5 minutes to even move it - put ice on it and can walk - but my achillies tendon is all swollen - need to got ice it again...

Well, that's all I really have to report - for now - gotta fix somethng to eat too.. so of to the kitchen - will check back later..

Well this jedi warrior is beating herself up pretty good tonight. I had taken an apple pie to a function last night. Well guess what there was some left over. Guess who's favorite pie is apple? Yep i had a piece ala mode nonetheless. I got scared and thought all those old habits are still there. GRRRRR No wonder I'm losing slower! the rest is going down the disposal.

Janet- never knew you could sprain an ankle on the computer, thanks for the warning!! Seriously I hope it's better fast!

Ellen, I watched the Dr. Phil thing today, I taped yesterday as the TV guide said yesterday too and it wasn't. But the end of the episode siad to watch tomorrow for it to continue, but according the previews it's something else, but I set it anyway. It brought back lots of memories.

Well this jedi warrior is beating herself up pretty good tonight. I had taken an apple pie to a function last night. Well guess what there was some left over. Guess who's favorite pie is apple? Yep i had a piece ala mode nonetheless. I got scared and thought all those old habits are still there. GRRRRR No wonder I'm losing slower! the rest is going down the disposal.

Lori,

Please don't beat yourself up, because if you do, then I will have to beat myself up too, for losing so little, if anything, this entire month. I think what I have to come to grips with is that I will always be a "food person" and that there will be times that I'm human and the difference this time will be that my slips don't become permanent. (I hope! I hope! I hope!)

I wonder if you took a poll of overweight women, (women especially) if you would find that we are more apt to be people pleasers, more apt to beat ourselves up over the least little thing, more apt to be concerned about others before ourselves and therfore more apt to judge ourselves harshly. (I think I was a bit repetative there.)

Maybe some of the difference has to do with choice. What if you CHOSE to eat one piece of pie - with ice cream, of course - and then you CHOSE to go back on program right after? Would that eliminate beating yourself up? I want to reach a place where I think like that. I am definitely NOT there yet, but I do think that my goal is that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. It can be that goodies (and good things, for that matter) are a normal part of life. (I think Janet talked about choice at one point.)

Well, forgive me for ranting, or as I say to my daughter, "processing out loud."

Talk to you later.

Love,

Ellen