Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Apples, you can preach like that anytime! We all have those moments and though I don't want to dwell on the past anymore or feel like that again, it sure does help to call it up once in awhile when those temptations come a callin'! Never do I want to go back there!

Debe, Congrats on your band. You were banded the same date on me just one year later. I was june 5, 2008. Yes it does get better, but it just might get worse before it gets better. As you heal and the swelling goes down, you start to get hungry and you have not much restriction yet. Hang in there and don't despair, it gets better and better as time goes on and you get fills. I definitely had those what have I done moments. But now one year later and 125 lbs gone, I am having 'so glad I did it moments'.

Debe....ditto what Long said! Hang in there. I remember the feelings you are feeling right now. It gets soooooooooooo much better. Just follow doc's orders, get lots of rest, get some exercise (walking, etc.), and visit this site often for support. LBT helped me through A LOT!:grouphug:

Yes, I can relate to that. This past Saturday I reached my 60 lbs loss mark. I was sooo excited. My Mom came over and I told her and she said nothing. I posted on Facebook. Not one family member commented, yet some facebook friends did. My co-workers give me the most support, compliments, etc. I posted my before picture in my album here along with a picture taken Saturday. I didn't know how to post them on this thread.

PJ...Congrats on reaching your 60lb goal! So sorry you are disappointed about your family's reaction. Maybe they just don't get how important this is for you? I am not giving them any credit for not making the effort...just wondering. You have family here that cares and I speak for all of us...WE ARE SOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU AND VERY PROUD OF YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS!! KEEP IT GOIN', GIRL!!!!!!!!!:grouphug:

Just checking in after a long (chilly and windy) but wonderful weekend. Spent time with friends and quite time with DH at the lake. Now am home till Wed morning...a little catch up time at home, volunteer, bookwork, etc. Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Been doing a lot of thinking about the past 18 months lately. Have my bandiversary on the 17th. Started this process over three years ago and pre-op diet in Nov, 2007. I have been so blessed that this entire journey has been on such a positive road. No complications to speak of. A lot of work was done to transform me into this healthy and energetic person that I have become.

I wish now that I am where I should be, I could reach inside and pass the torch to any of you that are struggling. The only advice I can give right now is to go back to that moment when you made the decision to change your life for good. Back to the time when you KNEW you did not want to live with the excess bagage on your body anymore. Back to the time when you felt so crappy about dragging that extra body weight with you.

When I would get weak during this trip, I would think of that moment of walking about 50 feet accross my lawn at the lake to visit a friend of mine. I BARELY made it. Huffing and puffing and feeling as if I was going to pass out. I was only 49 at the time. I was so ashamed and disgusted and felt just plain crappy at that moment. I just knew I couldn't do it any longer. Tempted by foods that I know could put me back in that situation? Yep...we all most likely be tempted by "not so good for you foods" every day for the rest of our lives. Is giving into those foods on a regular basis going to help us? Nope!

I have treats...I get hungry...but I choose to have some self-control. Self-control is something I threw out the window years ago when I gave up on myself. I've got it back now and it's staying!

I am so thankful that my band helps me with Portion Control with some foods. (Notice the "some" foods part). While I was in the weight loss phase I chose to be stronger than I ever was b/4. I was focused on the end result and was never going to throw it to the wind again.

I would just see those weak moments as little bumps in the road and told myself that if I gave into those "little" weak moments that it would turn into the "big" problem that I was trying so hard to leave behind me.

OK...sorry to sound preachy....getting off the soap box now.

Hey Long.......great photos! Great inspiration to all of us!

Great advice Apples and so true !!!! A little hunger isn't goint to kill us - eating the food we use to sure was - And I totally get you on walking 50 ft and dying - That's why I did this - I has no quality of life - now I am a 54 yrs zip linning - hiking 1000 ft elevation- repelling - weight training grandma... Feeling damn good about all that I have accomplished !!!

Who wears a size 4 and even has a couple of 2's in her closet

Hi everyone, New to the site. I was just banded on Friday the 5th of Jun 2009. Looking for support from anyone. Kind of down. Feel like I am going this alone. My children do not live around here and my parents are elderly and don't understand real well. I have had several days of wondering what I have done. I don't feel hunger. I'm on Clear Liquids for a week and have been able to get all my fluids in. Am I suppose to feel this weird? I know some of the pain and bloating is from the gas? How long does it last? I feel kind of helpless and not sure in which direction to go. There is no live support group in my area. My Doctor is 1 hour and 30 minutes away. :lol:

Welcome Deb - We are here for you 100% - My support group is only 1/2 hr away and I don't go... I love LBT it's open 24/7 !!!

Do you have gas X strips for the gas are you walking ...

You are normal I woke up after surgery thinking WTF have I done... But darling - this is the beginning of a whole new phase in your life - one where you are going to get healthy - the quality of your life is going to improve 10 fold - losing the weight is such freedom - ya it's scary to lose something that we have hit behind for so long telling ourselves we were ok with who we were.. But that's denial - Go back to page one of this thread and read forward - You will learn a little about each of us here and others who don't post any longer - but you will find out that you are not alone - You have us !!!

Hi everyone. Once again I am lurking and reading all your posts and they are so helpful. :lol:

Apples-I love your advice to go back to the time when we decided to make this change in our lives. It is definitely a low point for most of us that makes us take this step after years of losing and gaining and failing. And I never want to feel like that again. :grouphug:

Debe-I was just banded 4/30/09 and I can definitely relate to having feelings of "what the heck have I done???":eek:. I am still fighting some of that anxiety but I really do feel like it is getting better. I am almost 20 lbs down and I get my first fill on Wednesday so I hope the weight loss will pick up again! Clothes are starting to feel a little better and I am starting to get rid of some of my fattest clothes.:lol: Hang in there, it is one day at a time. It will get better and when you start to see the effects of the positive changes you are making, it will keep you going. These wonderful ladies on this string are all proof of that. They got me through that first month and they will help you too!! :)

Hey Kath Congrat on your clothes showing the signs of your weight loss - it just gets better..

Well gang I started this at 6:30 when I got home from the gym - Oh I got a NSV to report - Walking lunges - My back knee now touches the ground !!!! My balance has improved so so very much - I am so much stronger !!!!

Well back to I started this at 6:30 - phone call - then had to go to the store my fur babies had no dinner - well got them fed - cooking my dinner and about to go hit the couch or maybe 1/2 hr of my Wii - my new transfer addiction - it has replaced farming on FB :lol::lol: Heck it's better for me anyway - moving is better than sitting on your butt...

Good nite - talk to you all in the morning -:lol:

Yes, I can relate to that. This past Saturday I reached my 60 lbs loss mark. I was sooo excited. My Mom came over and I told her and she said nothing. I posted on Facebook. Not one family member commented, yet some facebook friends did. My co-workers give me the most support, compliments, etc. I posted my before picture in my album here along with a picture taken Saturday. I didn't know how to post them on this thread.

:thumbup:Congratulations PJ:thumbup:

:grouphug:- WTG -:)

I'm sorry I didn't see it on FB - I haven't been on much since I got my Wii Fit & EA - that's been my new transfer addiction..:lol:

:thumbup:Keep up the good work Girl:thumbup: - So Very Proud of you..:lol:..

Hugs cuz we are here for you 110% !!!!

Thanks, Indiogirl, for the advice! I guess I was feeling a little down this a.m., but what you said makes sense. I do have a great family, but they have seen me struggle for years over my weight, going up and down. And I know in the back of their minds, they're probably thinking" wonder how long this diet is going to last?" I am so thankful that I have a great support group on LBT. I am a part of the Bunny Bandsters and they are a great bunch of people! So I go there a lot to get my encouragement, and now I have you guys! Sometimes I get on here and just read, and that helps alot! Especially when I read about someone losing 125 pds. and hoping to be able to wear a size10 and getting into a size2!! That is just awesome!!! That tells me I can do the same thing!! Again Thanks for all you guys are doing!!!!!

Thanks, Indiogirl, for the advice! I guess I was feeling a little down this a.m., but what you said makes sense. I do have a great family, but they have seen me struggle for years over my weight, going up and down. And I know in the back of their minds, they're probably thinking" wonder how long this diet is going to last?" I am so thankful that I have a great support group on LBT. I am a part of the Bunny Bandsters and they are a great bunch of people! So I go there a lot to get my encouragement, and now I have you guys! Sometimes I get on here and just read, and that helps alot! Especially when I read about someone losing 125 pds. and hoping to be able to wear a size10 and getting into a size2!! That is just awesome!!! That tells me I can do the same thing!! Again Thanks for all you guys are doing!!!!!

:thumbup:CONGRATULATION DOODLEBUG :grouphug:

:thumbup:ON HITTING ONDERLAND !!!:)

:wink:WTG !!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!!:lol:

p.s. Make realistic goals - I say that your 1st goal was 36 lbs in less than a month - GF come on now - you aren't a bypass person - take that off your signature - only make realistic goals - if you set the bar to high and fail - it's another reason to say screw it I give up...

Normal weight loss is 1 - 2 lbs a week. So strive for that 1 lbs a week and anything more will be icing of the cake ...

Another good idea! I set that goal right after my banding. I had some restriction then and thought WOW, this is going to be so easy! But, now, I am no longer on my pain meds. and am thinking more realistically!! WHAT WAS I THINKING!!! That's why I choose this type of surgery, I do honestly believe that slower is better!! And your right, every time I look at my signature, I remember that I did not make that goal!! SO AWAY WITH IT!!! Thanks for bring it to my attention!!

Another good idea! I set that goal right after my banding. I had some restriction then and thought WOW, this is going to be so easy! But, now, I am no longer on my pain meds. and am thinking more realistically!! WHAT WAS I THINKING!!! That's why I choose this type of surgery, I do honestly believe that slower is better!! And your right, every time I look at my signature, I remember that I did not make that goal!! SO AWAY WITH IT!!! Thanks for bring it to my attention!!

Doodlebug...Janet is sooooooooooo right in stating what she did about unrealistic goals. Don't sign yourself up for a task that might not be able to be met. I was bombarded with personal messages daily from LBT ppl wondering how I lost the weight so "fast". Finally, just changed my signature line and explained that almost 1/2 of my weight was lost b/4 surgery. I had surgery June 17, 2008 and was at goal in Oct, 2008. It REALLY bothered me that ppl thought that was the norm. I just decided early on when I initiated this process that I was going to start the weight loss journey and stick to it.

#1. It was a way for me to prepare for what was ahead after surgery. Just a head start and it worked for me. Could never stick to a "diet" b/4 that time but could finally see the light at the end of the tunnel this time. I knew I would have the LB to help me throughout the rest of my life. Felt like I was given a new lease on life.

#2. My numbers (healthwise and weight) were so out of whack, I wanted to live long enough to see the surgery happen.

My point is....you just cannot compare YOUR stats to somebody ELSES stats. If you lined up everyone here on this thread and took a look, you would be so amazed at all the different body types, ages, etc.

I look at Long's Bandiversary photos and am amazed. I see photos Janet posts on here and am amazed. I saw Phyll's new photo a couple of weeks ago and am sooooooooo impressed by the difference I see from her photo taken in her cute Easter hat just a few months ago. But, what I see is THEIR progress and can never compare it to mine or any other stage another person is at in their weightloss journey.

We all have separate goals due to body type, height, starting weight, etc. My size 2 is someone else's size 10. And, if you lined us up side by side, we might just have the same amount of flesh on our bones. Being very small boned, I cannot carry on my body what someone else can. Anyway, I am sure you get my drift on what we can expect. It all needs to be realistic or the disappointment will override what we expect of ourselves.

In my little LB world I believe in well-rounded nutrition first. Get the protien in, some veggies and a very small amount of carbs. Throw a treat in once in awhile...but...plan those treats once a week or so. If you happen to screw up, get right back on the horse. Do meal planning and make sure to always have a back up snack when out and about.

Second, double check with your LB doc and general doc as to what Vitamins are recommended. I never miss a day of my vits.

Doodlebug...from my perspective...you are doing so well. The feelings you are having are, I believe, fairly normal. Find support where you can...it's so important. I think I can speak for all of us when I say that we hope you continue to check in on this thread for support. Not good to feel like you are all alone in this. I don't know what I would have done without LBT and the fine ppl here. I would have felt lost. I find it so interesting to follow the progress of everyone.

Just wishing you the best!:thumbup:

I have been away for a while but now I'm back and I honestly would love to help anyone that might need a bit of encouragement. Heaven knows I've gotten my share from this site. If I can answer any questions, please let me know.

Kath, Thanks so much for the support. I know I did the right thing, but it's hard to remember that when you are going it alone. I am a little better today. I love all the post. Everyone has such great attitudes.

Debe....ditto what Long said! Hang in there. I remember the feelings you are feeling right now. It gets soooooooooooo much better. Just follow doc's orders, get lots of rest, get some exercise (walking, etc.), and visit this site often for support. LBT helped me through A LOT!:)

Thanks both of you. I need all the encouragement I can get. I know it will get better, but it's just a little discouraging at the moment, but I'm better today than I was yesterday. One day at a time.

:thumbup:

Good Morning Gang !!!

Deb glad you are felling better

BeckyinTX WTG on your 146 !!!

Apples - such great words of wisdom!!!!

Well just cking in - did 1 hr of Wii this morning worked up a little sweat...

CBL :thumbup:

I have been away for a while but now I'm back and I honestly would love to help anyone that might need a bit of encouragement. Heaven knows I've gotten my share from this site. If I can answer any questions, please let me know.

Becky...noticed a post you had on another thread in the last day and just have to tell you I am so impressed by your weight loss!

Janet......checking in. I haven't weighed, but I am making better choices in food and walking everyday. Yea! on the wii! Now I am hooked on Farmtown, and I don't even like to garden.

Apples......thanks for all the advice and words of wisdom.

PJ..........congrats on the weightloss..........we are here to cheer you on, but it does help when those closest to us give us props.

Long.......yep, they are jealous. My LIFE Group at church continues to compliment me and pray for my success. Then there is my friend of 30 years that had the bypass surgery and has lost 120 since August. Never a compliment from her...........only about how people are shocked that she has lost so much weight. I am happy for her, but I still had the right surgery for me. I honestly think she is jealous that I have such a wonderful support group. I guess I brag on all of you too much.

Congrats to all of my lap-band buddies! We WILL be successful.

Doodles, congrats on hitting Onederland! That's such a huge milestone to reach.

BeckyinTexas, WOW!! AM I impressed with your numbers. Awesome job! Have you had any plastic surgery or did you not have a lot of excess skin? I see you've had your band since 2005, I've not known anyone that's been banded that long. Have you had any complications or issues over the years? That's my big concern, but so far mine has been just perfect!