Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

I called my Dr office today and spoke to the nurse I saw Fri. she claimed she answered all my questions on Fri. she was mean and judgmental . She told me maybe I should reconsider surgery , What nerve! Anyways I got my official approval letter from my insurance and I got my med clearance . :rolleyes::thumbup:Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions.

I'll be in Buffalo end of July, 1st of August.

PM me if you want to talk.

I, too, was given all the options on the different surgeries, then I with my surgeon's help chose which was the right fit for me. I was scared of the bypass because of the 3 people that I knew that had it, 2 gained all their weight back and one is struggling. I am not so naive to think, one can't gain it back on the band either, but it just showed me that this wasn't the 'magic cure' and there was going to be a lifetime of changes in order to make this process a success.

Hi, I'm here.....that's about the extent of it, though..... Gall bladder surgery at 11:00 am on Thurs... Full 10 inch horizontal incision on my right side under my port... things went okay until my blood pressure dropped off to 43/34.................so back to surgery at 4:00 pm....2 units of blood and wow...... back to that whipped little kitten stage for me AGAIN..... Had to have another unit of blood on Saturday, but came home yesterday.. Can't do anything for a month... at least my band is intact and still full to 7.2 cc's..... Sorry, I don't have the energy to read and catch up on everyone right now... Try to do that soon... Just checking in... TTYL............ Julie

Julie~ OMG!!! How are you feeling?! What an ordeal! A whipped kitten?! IMHO, that sounds like an understatement. Gosh, I hope you feel better soon. Please take care of yourself... rest... stay hydrated... and let your body heal. An open cholecystectomy is much tougher to heal from than a Laparoscopic one. Add the blood loss and resulting low blood pressure. Wow! Sounds like you are one lucky gal... and resilient I might add! So glad the surgery is over. Also glad they left your band filled. But if you find yourself not able to eat, you may need to have an unfill. You can sometimes have a lot of swelling after surgery. Thinking about you. <hugs>

Happy Tuesday to everyone~ Welcome to the new faces, HH, Bugs. HH, I was thinking about your post. You are right, for many the added benefit of the malabsorption is what they need to reach maximum benefit from the "tool". Just like anything, it needs to be tailored to the patient's specific need. Some of the gals on this thread have proven through time that the band can be successful. Nothing is successful 100% of the time. I went to my support group last night and there were 4 RNY patients who had lost 90-100% of their weight and after 2 years had gained it back. All of the WLS have to be a tool added with major lifestyle changes. You cannot rely on malabsorption alone to fix the problem of food addiction. At some point the body overcomes it and you are back to square one of needing to exercise and eat healthy. My sister had RNY 6-2 and I had the band 3-2. Although we started about the same weight, she has already passed me by 10 lbs. It is quicker and for some that is essential. Glad it worked for you! Best of luck.

For the support group everyone decided to have a clothes and recipe exchange. Everyone brought TONS of clothes! The only problem was, hardly anyone wanted to take any! I brought 30 items (nice JJill clothes, 4x and 3x) and left with 3 shirts and 1 pant. The problem it seemed was that most of the clothes were large! We had a lot of 4x and what people needed were 1x and 2x and down! At least the clothes won't go to waste... the rest will go to Goodwill. It was so inspiring to see all these thin healthy people there! Great success stories like we have on this forum. Just wonderful.

DH was on call last night and is off today, and I decided to let Nelson stay home from camp. We will have a nice relaxing family day. Plan on a swim this morning. Making a Middle Eastern recipe of Koosa Mahsi (stuffed Zucchini with Tomato sauce). I bend the recipe to make it higher Protein. Instead of 3:1 Rice/meat, I do it 1:3, actually almost 1:4!

I started keeping my food diary again! Yesterday and this morning I am up to date! I had almost 1300 cal yesterday. And in my head I was having a low cal day. Which means that in the previous days I was likely up to 1500+ and thus the reason I was plateauing. Time to tighten up the belt!

peasout~

Hi, I'm here.....that's about the extent of it, though..... Gall bladder surgery at 11:00 am on Thurs... Full 10 inch horizontal incision on my right side under my port... things went okay until my blood pressure dropped off to 43/34.................so back to surgery at 4:00 pm....2 units of blood and wow...... back to that whipped little kitten stage for me AGAIN..... Had to have another unit of blood on Saturday, but came home yesterday.. Can't do anything for a month... at least my band is intact and still full to 7.2 cc's..... Sorry, I don't have the energy to read and catch up on everyone right now... Try to do that soon... Just checking in... TTYL............ Julie

Julie - So good to hear from you... OMW you sure do have your struggles when it comes to medical issues Hugs & Prayers !!! I have the same cut - had it 2 weeks before I turned 30 !!! You will be limited what you can do for a while - glad your band is ok ... Rest and recoup !!! You really are doing so well with all that you have been thru lately..

It has been interesting to me as I have gone through this process to note how MANY doctors do NOT give their patients the questionaire that yours did. So many of them seem to "push" one particular procedure over another, regardless of how well it might be suited for the patient. It took me a long, long time to understand all of the differences, and realize that malabsorbtion is, in fact, what it was that I needed, and not restriction. I think that this is where much of the failure and suffering in WLS springs from; choosing the wrong procedure for your particular eating disorder.

As an "industry", I think Bariatric medicine has a LONG ways to go in being able to effectively educate their patients (and their doctors, in many cases) on how to choose the procedure that will work the BEST for the individual.

"I can say right now nothing is going to taste as good as the new found energy that I have since losing 112 lbs"

A wonderful quote indeed. I have heard it stated as:

"nothing could possibly taste as good as I feel when i'm healthy!"

:rolleyes:

HH

HH My ds & dil both are over weight - I want them both to get healthy - My DS says I'm going to get the band like you Mom - I told him I don't think it will work for you cuz they think that the band did the work and not me and that they would eat around it - My DIL is a big carb/starch eater truly for them I think bypass or sleeve - but not until they are ready to do the work involved - besides my DS is a meat & potatoe guy - he doesn't eat veggies at all - so for him healthy eating would be nearly impossible.. I just figure that they in their time hopefully will understand how their weight is limiting their lives.. I accept that somethings are beyond my control :0).

I, too, was given all the options on the different surgeries, then I with my surgeon's help chose which was the right fit for me. I was scared of the bypass because of the 3 people that I knew that had it, 2 gained all their weight back and one is struggling. I am not so naive to think, one can't gain it back on the band either, but it just showed me that this wasn't the 'magic cure' and there was going to be a lifetime of changes in order to make this process a success.

Long

Yep we know that this is a lifetime of work no matter which surgery we choose.

Good Morning Gang !!!

Just cking in - everyone must be busy... I know I have been.

No much to report since last night - I really need to make sure I go to the gym tonite - Tues can be a flake day for me... Especially when it's so hot like it is right now - s/b 114 by this afternoon !!! I don't care how much a/c is on it's still hot..

Well, need to get my butt in gear - Have a good day and as usual - I will CBL :sad:

Julie~ OMG!!! How are you feeling?! What an ordeal! A whipped kitten?! IMHO, that sounds like an understatement. Gosh, I hope you feel better soon. Please take care of yourself... rest... stay hydrated... and let your body heal. An open cholecystectomy is much tougher to heal from than a Laparoscopic one. Add the blood loss and resulting low blood pressure. Wow! Sounds like you are one lucky gal... and resilient I might add! So glad the surgery is over. Also glad they left your band filled. But if you find yourself not able to eat, you may need to have an unfill. You can sometimes have a lot of swelling after surgery. Thinking about you. <hugs>

Happy Tuesday to everyone~ Welcome to the new faces, HH, Bugs. HH, I was thinking about your post. You are right, for many the added benefit of the malabsorption is what they need to reach maximum benefit from the "tool". Just like anything, it needs to be tailored to the patient's specific need. Some of the gals on this thread have proven through time that the band can be successful. Nothing is successful 100% of the time. I went to my support group last night and there were 4 RNY patients who had lost 90-100% of their weight and after 2 years had gained it back. All of the WLS have to be a tool added with major lifestyle changes. You cannot rely on malabsorption alone to fix the problem of food addiction. At some point the body overcomes it and you are back to square one of needing to exercise and eat healthy. My sister had RNY 6-2 and I had the band 3-2. Although we started about the same weight, she has already passed me by 10 lbs. It is quicker and for some that is essential. Glad it worked for you! Best of luck.

For the support group everyone decided to have a clothes and recipe exchange. Everyone brought TONS of clothes! The only problem was, hardly anyone wanted to take any! I brought 30 items (nice JJill clothes, 4x and 3x) and left with 3 shirts and 1 pant. The problem it seemed was that most of the clothes were large! We had a lot of 4x and what people needed were 1x and 2x and down! At least the clothes won't go to waste... the rest will go to Goodwill. It was so inspiring to see all these thin healthy people there! Great success stories like we have on this forum. Just wonderful.

DH was on call last night and is off today, and I decided to let Nelson stay home from camp. We will have a nice relaxing family day. Plan on a swim this morning. Making a Middle Eastern recipe of Koosa Mahsi (stuffed Zucchini with Tomato sauce). I bend the recipe to make it higher Protein. Instead of 3:1 Rice/meat, I do it 1:3, actually almost 1:4!

I started keeping my food diary again! Yesterday and this morning I am up to date! I had almost 1300 cal yesterday. And in my head I was having a low cal day. Which means that in the previous days I was likely up to 1500+ and thus the reason I was plateauing. Time to tighten up the belt!

peasout~

Hey Laura - you must have been posting as I was typing.

Yep it is so easy to under-estimate what we are eating - so easy to forget those 2 string cheese we had during the day or those 4 crackers... This is why I really beleive in the food diaries - I still will jot on a piece of paper what I have eaten - it really helps keep me honest

The stuffed zuchinee sounds good - give us the receipt..

Have a great family day !!!

Per Janet's request:

"Koosa Mahshi." This simple, but delicious, Middle Eastern dish is fairly easy to prepare and well worth giving a try. First you will need a special tool for hollowing out the zucchini. This could be found in any Middle Eastern grocery store inexpensively. It's similar to an apple corer, but longer - say about 6-8 inches. If you can't find one, I guess you could use a similar type tool, like an apple corer.

You want to choose small squashes. You can also substitute other vegetables- peppers, tomatoes or eggplant.

Koosa Mahshi (Stuffed Zucchini in Tomato Sauce)

2 lbs. small zucchini

½ cup rice

1 ½ cups ground beef

1 T. olive oil

1 tsp. salt

2 T. Dried mint

¼ tsp. black pepper

½ tsp. salt

1 tsp. all spice

sliced tomatoes

1 cup tomato sauce

1 can petite diced tomatoes

1 cup hot Water

2-3 coarsely chopped garlic cloves

Wash squash, cut off stem tips and, using corer, hollow out. Be careful not to break squash. Set aside. Mix rice, meat, and spices together. Stuff mixture loosely into squash - do not pack too tightly or the squash will burst as the rice expands during cooking. Arrange stuffed squash (and tomato if you've chosen to stuff them also) in a sauce pan (I use a pressure cooker - takes 8 minutes that way!). Add sliced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Add enough hot Water to cover, bring to a boil, then reduce to medium low heat and cook for 25 minutes, until squash is tender.

Voila! A delicious, healthy meal! Sahtain! (Arabic for "bon appetit!")

I add the chopped insides of the zucchini to the sauce to add more veggies and not waste it.

Julie, what an experience. You have a lot of medical issues. May God bless you and keep you and cause his face to shine upon you, and be gracious unto you, and give you his peace.

Hi i need some support from someone who understands.

Maybe find a new md. Rude behavior is no excuse.

Per Janet's request:

"Koosa Mahshi." This simple, but delicious, Middle Eastern dish is fairly easy to prepare and well worth giving a try. First you will need a special tool for hollowing out the zucchini. This could be found in any Middle Eastern grocery store inexpensively. It's similar to an apple corer, but longer - say about 6-8 inches. If you can't find one, I guess you could use a similar type tool, like an apple corer.

You want to choose small squashes. You can also substitute other vegetables- peppers, tomatoes or eggplant.

Koosa Mahshi (Stuffed Zucchini in Tomato Sauce)

2 lbs. small zucchini

½ cup rice

1 ½ cups ground beef

1 T. olive oil

1 tsp. salt

2 T. Dried mint

¼ tsp. black pepper

½ tsp. salt

1 tsp. all spice

sliced tomatoes

1 cup tomato sauce

1 can petite diced tomatoes

1 cup hot Water

2-3 coarsely chopped garlic cloves

Wash squash, cut off stem tips and, using corer, hollow out. Be careful not to break squash. Set aside. Mix rice, meat, and spices together. Stuff mixture loosely into squash - do not pack too tightly or the squash will burst as the rice expands during cooking. Arrange stuffed squash (and tomato if you've chosen to stuff them also) in a sauce pan (I use a pressure cooker - takes 8 minutes that way!). Add sliced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Add enough hot Water to cover, bring to a boil, then reduce to medium low heat and cook for 25 minutes, until squash is tender.

Voila! A delicious, healthy meal! Sahtain! (Arabic for "bon appetit!")

I add the chopped insides of the zucchini to the sauce to add more veggies and not waste it.

I'm going to try it with ground turkey !!! Thanks Laura !!!!

Hi i need some support from someone who understands.
Maybe find a new md. Rude behavior is no excuse.

Cassie

What's wrong - We are here for you..

I decided to not have surgery . It's not the right time . Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

Bugs

Sorry to hear that - you will know when your time is right...

Well Gang cking in - gotta tell you I really really tried to talk myself out of going to the gym tonite...

#1 excuse you can do your Wii EA or Fit instead.

#2 You have been doing ok going just 3 days a week (but got myself on that one cuz over 4th of July - I missed 2 days)

#3 it's hot 114 degree

Well, I just did it - I came in the house changed clothes and went and did my 3 miles burned 341 calories and I feel good.

I have been to the gym 308 days in the last 2 years - the 1st yr it was 179 days and this past year 129 days..

Pretty darn good for a former slug bug !!!!

Laura - you know what your receipt is like my one pot wonder - I just don't stuff the squash but slice it up and cook it in a skillet - but again I use ground turkey instead of hamburger..

Laura~ Sounds great! As soon as I can eat, I think that I will make it, but the "one pot wonder" way like Janet! I'm not sure about this whole coring thing. I'd bet a million dollars that I would break them! Thanks for the recipe, I was going to ask for it. The first thing that I am going to eat on friday when I can have my pureed food is crushed lentil Soup from this middle eastern restraunt really close to our house. I love it! Also, I have been keeping a food journal for the past 5 weeks. Obviously it has been pretty bland, but i figured that it would really help to get me into the habit.

Janet~ Congrats on going to the gym! That is fantastic! I had my own form of exercising today also. I went with my sister to the horse barn where she is an occupational therapist using the horse as a therapeutic tool. Its called hippotherapy and it is awesome! I help groom and tack the horses as well as assist her with the patients. We have a great time! Plus, it is wonderful exercise walking all day.

Julie~ Wow! Hope that you are feeling back to yourself in a jiffy! Hopefully after this all of your health problems will be behind you and you can look forward to jump starting your WL journey. I will be thinking about and praying for you.

Bugs~ Sorry to hear that you are not ready for this journey yet. I totally understand. You won't do it properly unless you are ready 100 % anyhow. You will know in your heart when the time is right for you. I know I did. Good luck.

I'm getting really annoyed at with my stupid incision! I just keep telling myself, "If this is the biggest problem that I have to handle with the band, I will be thrilled and really really successful." It's what I need to say to get through when I question why I did this to my body (both getting fat and having WLS).

Well, thats about it for tonight. I hope everyone has a wonderful evening! CBL, I'm sure I will be bored when there is nothing on tv later.

~Meredith

Hi everyone, just checking in, catching up. I go in for a small fill tomorrow -- I hope it's the last one I'll need -- I plan to ask for .5 cc's and hopefully that will be it and I'll be at my sweet spot. I had some terrible news. My best friend has terminal mesothelioma which is lung cancer caused by aesbestos. We have no idea where she may have been around aesbestos. She was raised in Northern Michigan and was a teacher her entire life. Julie, glad to hear from you, so glad your surgery is over and now the healing can begin. You've had more on your plate this year than most people have in a decade, so please be kind to yourself and allow yourself to heal. I hope all goes well with your band during your recovery. You are one brave and strong woman!! Long, so happy you are home safe from the bears. Janet, so sad that your employers are so insensitive - that's just terrible. You'd think it would be (and should be) just the opposite and they would value someone who had that kind of loyalty. Glad you and your friends had a great time. Charlene, hope your DH is doing great -- I've been thinking of you. I wish your son had made it on Biggest Loser. I was thinking it would be neat if they would do a season with all WLS patients and talk about all the various bariatric surgerical options. It would be so educational to the viewers to see how that WLS is only a TOOL, not what 99% of the public thinks. They still aren't sure what my DGD has - the first blood work came back positive for lupus. Then they did more blood work and lupus was not indicated. So now they did more blood work thinking it may be Dermatomyostis. She's such a brave little angel -- getting all the blood drawn -- she's only 2-1/2. Laura, recipe sounds delish, I'll make it soon, but probably the one pot wonder way as well. I love zucchini, thanks for sharing. Hope everyone has a great week. Linda

Good morning gang! How is everyone?!

Janet~ WTG on the gym! I was just debating whether to go this morning... and I think that sealed the deal. I know I will feel better after.

Meredith~ I am so proud of you! And trust me regarding the wound. It bugged me too! Mine wasn't open, but rather would grow like a tumor with serous fluid! He almost was going to open it, but it started going away on its own. Think of it like an internal blister. It's your bodies way of protecting a sore area. As your heel would do from too tight shoes. : ) It WILL go away, I promise!

Linda~ So sorry to hear about your best friend. It's so sad when such horrible diseases invade people that are so sweet and have dedicated their lives to helping others! Where's the justice?! And I hope they figure out what is going on with your DGD. Good luck with your fill and hope you reach your sweet spot!!!

I never even thought to do a one pot wonder with that recipe! It's one of those meals that my DH grew up eating and perhaps the presentation is important. I have all but stopped cooking since surgery and sometimes I feel bad for him. He cooks 75% of the time now! He is a good cook. I always tell him if he decides to leave medicine, he will still have a career! :thumbup:

I am on the fence about whether to have another tiny fill. It's been about a month since my last one. At Breakfast I am tight and can barely get in a yoplait 100 cal yogurt. lunch is still a little tight and if it is soft I can get in 1/2 cup of food. But come dinner time, I feel as if I don't have a band! So, wonder if it's just how it will always be? I am ok with small amount of calories in the morning. Although of course I would rather the restriction be the other way around! (loose in a.m. and tight at night!) I have only lost 6 lbs this month (my slowest month yet) and it concerns me. What do you guys think?

Time to get Nels off to camp and my butt off to the gym!

peasout!