Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day Stories

This is my first post ever in the 6 months I've been on lapband talk.

My banding was done on April 28, two days ago and I couldn't wait to get on here and tell ya'all about it! I still cannot believe it's actually done...that *I* actually did it.

First of all, I did it with much prayer. Nothing in my life this big will be done in haste and this is one of the biggest things in my lifetime. Second, I had the total support of my spouse or I wouldn't have been able to do it.

Wednesday morning, we were to arrive at 0530 at United Regional Hospital in WF, TX. Fortunately, we were staying in a hospitality house a few hundred feet away. Once I arrived, we waited for about 5 minutes for my name to be called. I had already started tearing up and didn't understand why. I am also a Same Day Surgery nurse and a Recovery room nurse. Once I was oriented to my room, I started bawling. I knew it was nerves and that if I let the tears out I would feel better so I did. My nurse who got me ready was amazing. Then anesthesia came in as well as the chaplain and another M.D. came in. I was used to all the activity due to my own job. Oh and my surgeon came in for a second. Due to a staff meeting, my surgery was delayed by an hour. I was finally wheeled back at around 0720. I had been given an Ativan around 0600 so much of the rest is a fog. LOL I think I was wheeled directly into the O.R. and I recall sliding onto the table. Once again, all of this was surreal because it's what I normally do, but not as a patient! :-) Next thing I know, I'm in recovery and I'm very very hazy and drowsy. But I remember a feeling of elation....of thinking of the band as mine. I also had a hiatal hernia repair I was told. I was wheeled to my own private room on the bariatric floor around 10am. I remember being TICKED because I realized I had a binder on and as a nurse, I think they are so cruel. The nurses loosened it but transferring to my new room/bed is all very foggy as well. By 2pm, I was texting and watching television. I wasn't allowed anything until 4pm and was dying for SOMETHING to wet my mouth. I had never known such thirst. My sweet nurse brought me spongy things to wet my mouth. At 0400, I had the BEST tasting ice Water in the world AND was also given a cup of apple juice halfed with Water and lots of ice. I sipped it very slowly and got full very quickly. My greatest fear through all of this process is being dehydrated. I kept sipping and sipping and probably became obsessed about it until the next day when my urine was a sufficient color. LOL (ever the nurse) Around 12 I asked for a pain shot. Around 5, I asked if I could have p.o. meds and no more IV morphine. I was then given Lortab 7.5mg every 6 hours. I slept on and off through the night but I can tell you I kept thinking, "this is it? this is really it?".

I woke up at 3am and walked the halls some more. (oh, hubby had walked with me a few times that first evening) My best friend had stopped by and even said, "you don't even look like you had surgery". AWESOME! At 3am, after walking, I drank some more water and juice. The floor rules are to shower daily at 0530 with hibiclens. Since I was up, I didn't mind. I kept dozing until the doc came in around 0750. I was ordered to have some Lasix due to some swelling. I also managed to get down around four 12 oz cups of liquid. I was finally discharged to home, which is an hour and a half away around noon. They walked me to my car outside and I did fine until the ride home. That made me very sore and I was taking my pain meds early. By 9pm, though I was asleep in recliner after fighting tons of gas pain and soreness.

I woke up this a.m. around 0620 for good and feel tons better. I still have NO APPETITE and have to force anything down. That cracks me up. I am walking often and sipping tons of water. I took an hour to get a Protein Shake down but got it down!

I really hope this helps others because so many others on here have helped me!

Nurse Sophie

Highest wt 309

Wt at dr consult 288

Wt surgery date 272

Current Wt 271

thanks !! and Congrads to you on your surgery.. i hope all is going good . i am going to have mine on th 10 th of may .. thanks again for given step by step ..on the times and stuff . i hope mine is as good as yours .. it sure dont take long . does it ?

Hey sorry to post this on this topic but could you please tell me how you got your ticker onto this site. I make the ticker on tickerfactory.com but I don't know how to move it over here?

Hello, I am on my second day of post op and yesterday, I had clear broth, a few sips of a Protein shake and lots of ice chips.

I woke up today wanting to actually eat. Broths and Jello and pudding are just not working for me and my stomach was growling. I've just been following the post op diet and eating/drinking what I am supposed to.

I did ok on the pre op diet but wondered if anyone else had the same issue with thinking they were hungry after surgery.

Hi Gigi,

Boy did I ever have that as well! I was banded on April 23rd and was in a fog and very tired the first and second day. I made myself eat by the clock to be sure I was getting enough nutrition. Day 3 hit and WOW did I have a powerful hunger. After talking with the dr. clinic and some patients in our support group I decided to up my caloric intake. It has made a world of difference. Day 3-5 when I was still trying to stay at 800 calories I was waking up in the middle of the night truly hungry. Now that I've stepped it up and I am eating pureed cream based Soups it has been better. I still want to graze after 2.5 hours but they say that is what indicates a fill is needed. My surgeon won't do one until 6 weeks SO I guess I'll live in what is known as "Bandster Hell" and just deal with the quick return of hunger until he can help me with a fill.

All that to say, YES, I feel your pain and YES we can get through it.

Good luck!

Tammy

PS

I've still lost 6 pounds in 1.75 weeks despite upping the caloric intake so it didn't mean the end to the world! ;-)

I had my surgery on Friday 5/7. They took me into the OR around 10:30am, I remember going into the OR, then a Dr said I am going to give you something to make you more comfortable, then it was lights out for me, lol next thing I remember is being in recovery and the nurses talking to me, I had a hard time staying awake, I couldn't focus and I was dizzy and the dizziness made me nausous.I barely could open my eyes, and the only thing I could get out was "I'm sick, I'm sick" they immediatly handed be a barf bag and told me they were pushing something into my IV for that, and it worked, the nausousness immediatly went away and I was out asleep again. Then the next thing I remember was waking up in my room, (I stayed overnight for a 23 hour observation per ins) and my nurse and family talking to me, I saw the clock and it was almost 1:30pm, I had been asleep for about 3 hours. But I was ok, I did not have any oxygen on or anything like that, I had an IV pushing fluids and a morphine pump that I controlled :lol: I was more than happy to stay the night, I could not imagine getting up and going home at that moment, since all I wanted to do was sleep. My mouth was terribly dry and my throat hurt, that was my constant complaint while in the hospital, and still today my mouth is dry, I sip on Water constantly. As the hours went on my head began to clear, it just got better and better. I think it was about 5pm on Friday when I felt like I needed to pee, the nurse came to help but I walked on my own to the bathroom and was able to pee, so the nurse was happy about that. I did lap down the hall and back. I continued to rest comfortably at the hospital Friday evening, still fighting the thirstiness. On Saturday morning they took me for an Xray and barrium swallow, the Dr there showed me the xrays and said that it looked great and my Dr would review them when he came in. Kind of neat to see the band on the xray. My Dr came around 11am spoke with me and said that everything looked good and he was sending me home. the ride home was a little uncomfortable. All I wanted was my water, still so thirsty. No appetite to drink anything else on Saturday but water. I cant believe that I am banded, I have to keep reminding myself its done! :biggrin:

I am on day 4 of my post op. I had a terrible time after surgery, with pain and inability to drink anything. I ended up having hiatal hernia repair and scar tissue removed as well as being banded. I am still in a lot of pain and unable to drink much or eat much. I have to force myself to drink my Soup or anything else for that matter. When I do drink something, I burp, which is very painful for me.

I keep thinking that there must be something wrong with me, since everyone told me that I'd be fine to go back to work after day 3. Here it is day 4 and I'm barely able to take care of myself. I've had to stay with my parents since my husband has to work all day, just because of this.

Is there something wrong with me? Has anyone else had this experience?

i can not say yes or no .. but i had my surgery monday . and i have been sore where they done the cuts it kinda feels like i got hit by a baseball bat . in the tummy . but it is not real bad .. i can not eat much myself .. i havt to make myself drink the amount the wont you too drink .. but i can not hardly do it .. i know my band has not been tightened up yet i go in 5 more weeks for that then i thank it will be hard to intake any Water .. keep me enformed how you doing and i will do the same .. chicking broth is good .. not crazy about beef broth but try some sometimes it's ok . chicking is better.. Fiber drink mix is good . and alot of water .. is all i have been doing ..

I had my surgery yesterday morning and so far everything has been much easier than I expected. I went in for surgery around 11:20 and was in recovery by about 12:45. I woke up around 2 or so fully alert and coherent, no residual side effects of anesthesia like in past surgeries. I also had very little pain and didn't need any additional pain meds.

Unfortunately my doc makes you stay the night in order to do a barium swallow the next day and that was the most annoying part of the whole procedure. I had to pee a million times because I was hooked up to an IV and although I had no problem physically getting in and out of bed, I had to call the nurses for assistance because I was hooked up in so many places (IV, leg compression sleeves, oxynet, etc.). I was wide awake until well in to the night and when I asked for a sleeping pill, the nurse said that hadn't been prescribed and that she'd have to call my doc. So I can have vicodin (lortab) but not tylenol pm? That's crazy.

I was supposed to get into radiology early this morning for the barium swallow but they didn't end up taking me in until 11am but then of course I had to wait to get in and then wait to be transported back to my room. I was crawling the walls! I just wanted to go home!!!! So around 1:00 I was finally released from the frigging hospital, thank God!!!! I'm doing fine, still no pain other than soreness when I get up. I am experiencing a little bandster hell already but hopefully my Protein powders will do the trick. Those of you that don't have to stay overnight are very lucky and if I can help it, I will only agree to outpatient procedures from here on out ;-)

I had my surgery monday the 17th. I woke up at 445 and off to the hospital at 5:20. Got there at 5:55 walked into the office and started filling out paper work. I started getting nervous and felt like throwing up! I havent been nervous up till this point.

At about 6:15 two nurses came out and got me. They told me no one was allowed to come back with me, so to say good bye to my mom and she will see me after surgery. I really didn't like this and neither did my mom.

They gave me a HUGE gown to put on, a hair net, and booties, and a cup to pee in. I was in the bathroom for 20 mintues and I couldn't go. So they sat me down in this chair that reclined and asked me questions and gave me a shot in the thigh. This did not hurt at all. Nothing as bad as some people made it seem. They then started my IV... got it in the first try.. i was so happy.

So then I just sat there for awhile waiting for my dr to get there and I still needed to pee!! The anesthesiologist came in and talked to me and asked if I had any questions. It was time for me to try and pee again. Another 15 min later.. NOTHING! So they made me sign a piece of paper saying I wasnt pregnant and there wasnt ne way that I could be.

I then talked to my surgeon and I walked off to the OR. I layed down and as they were getting ready my surgeon, nurse, and anesthesiologist were just talking to me, trying to keep me calm.

I was then told that i was going to feel some pressure in my hand and at the time that I was about to kill him I would be asleep. Wow was he right! This stuff hurt! Ive been put asleep three times and it was nothing like this. But soon enough I was asleep.

Next thing I know im waking up in the recovery room saying "im cold, im cold, im cold" as i am shivering. They put a warming blanket on me and told me surgery went well. My nurse told me to just take a little nap. I refused to do that though, I couldn't wait to get out of there and back to my own bed.

About 45 minutes later they asked if I was ready to get up and go sit in the chair that I was in before. I agreed right away. They let me go to the washroom, because in order to be released I had to pee. I did right away! I was nervous I wasnt going to be able to because I was having issues before.

I then sat in my recliner chair and had to drink 8oz of Water before they released me. I was sipping it very slowly because I was scared it was going to have to come back up! At about 10:30 I finished, they took my IV out and helped me get dressed, rolled me out to my moms car at 10:45 and I was off to my own house.

I didn't need any pain medicine when I was in recovering and havent tooken anything but tylenol before I go to bed. The worst pain for me would prolly be the shoulder gas pain and where my port is, its tender and it feels like its ripping my insides. I feel that I cant even stand up straight!

My surgery was done on April 29. It was so quick I was amazed. I got to the surgery center at about 6:45 AM, and was headed back home by 10. I filled out all the paperwork and was back in the pre-op room by 7:30, I think I had to have had the friendliest, nicest, most accomadating nurse in the world. she was really wonderful. I remember being there about 1/2 an hour, my husband and daughter were back there for the majority of the time, and we were just laughing and looking at funny pictures on my daughters computer. Then they gave me something in the IV to 'calm my nerves' and I dont' remember anything after that!! My daughter said I started laughing at everything, telling her how much I loved her and just laughing. She said I was freaky!!! Then I remember being moved from the gurney to the operating table, telling them my feet were cold and then I am waking up, and being told it all went great. I was like, no way you can't be done yet. I did the drink test, ate a few ice chips, required no additional oxygen, and was told I was a model patient, they wish they all went as well as me. The lady that had the surgery done before me was still there, but I did so great, they had me get up, and if I could dress myself I was able to go. My husband had to help with the socks and shoes, and honestly I didn't put my bra back on, because the incisions are right there so I didn't want to push things! I got home, and was feeling great. I walked around a lot because I am on hormone replacement and I didn't stop the medicine, so he warned me that I had to be careful on blood clots, I drank my broth, ate a couple sugar free popsicles, and have had no complications. The doctors office and the surgery center staff have been so nice and friendly through it all!

I was sent home with pain medicine, and for the first day I didn't really need it but after that the pain I had to deal with was all from the gas. My shoulders, neck and upper back were just hurting so bad. I would walk to help ease it but honestly nothing, not the medicine, the walking or anything helped. I broke down on day 4 post op and cried, freaked my husband out, but the pain was just getting to be to much by then. It would come at the oddest times, stay for what seemed like forever, and never ease up. The pain medicine didn't really help with it but it allowed me to sleep through a lot of it. My friend suggested gas x strips as she used them when she went through this, but when I sent my hsuband to the store to get them, he got the pills which are huge so I couldn't take them. (It was the thought that counted!) But walking and doing a sort of bounce as I walked would help the most to work it all out. Day 6 is when I noticed it lightening up, but honestly I still get a little bit of that pain now and I am 3 weeks out. but it is once every couple days and it lasts for maybe 5 minutes and is only 1/100th of the pain I felt those first few days.

Edited by Bandmom

surgery was 9-28-09. Got to the hospital about 6 am and checked in. Husband went with so I would have support there. Talked to the annie and he explained how he would put me to sleep for the procedure. Doctor came in and all was a go, so I was ready to do this. Had surgery about 8ish and was back to my room about 10ish. It was like nothing happened. The only pain I had was on the left side of my neck, it was a sharp piercing pain so bad that I cried until they gave me some percocet. I stayed until I drank a little bit of Protein Shake and ate some s/f Jello about 1 oz. Then the doctor came in and checked on me and said if I kept the food and liquids down he would let me go home that afternoon. The night was good, no pain except for my neck. Slept without any difficulties and was back at work in 2 days. All was good. I thought I was prepared for this because my mother had her band done in Mexico, came back and lost 140 lbs in a year and 1/2. So that is what I was expecting to do. Little did I know what an uphill battle this was going to be for me. I should have researched and read every weight loss surgery book out there. Knowing what I know now I would have had the gastric bypass done. I don't regret any of it because now finally the band is working for me and I am losing slowly. But having that big loss up front right after surgery would have been nice. Good Luck to all on their surgery day. :)

Do you have information on getting the lap band in Mexico? I think I may have to be self-pay. Thanks.

Do you have information on getting the LAP-BAND® in Mexico? I think I may have to be self-pay. Thanks.

Not sure where you are at, but a lot of places are now doing self pay specials. I would think the cost to travel to Mexico for the surgery plus the hassel of fills and such down there it can't be that cheap....The doctor I went to has a special right now that all lap bands are only 12,000 and that includes surgeon and facility fees it states....The fact that they dont' have to spend extra administrative fees to file insurance, wait for insurance to pay IF they pay and hassle with all that is enough for many places to give discounts for self pay....I would check into that before looking at going across the border for the surgery. :biggrin:

hey all i just got banded yesterday and thought i'd share my experience.

i arrived at 9:30am but did not get in the back until 12 because they had an emergency case. i got my weight taken and they were very happy with the weight i had lost. i was walked though the whole process and then changed. i got my iv and the shot in the side of blood thinner. they had a hard time finding a vein to put the iv in cause i have stubborn veins and lots of tattoos lol. once that was done i was told i had one person in front of me and my hubby came back to sit with me for a while. they finally got the go ahead an gave me the margerita (thats what they call the knock out drugs) last thing i remeber was being wheeled into the back and being told to take deep breaths and then i woke up in recovery with the super sweet nurse telling me it was all done. she gave me some pain meds cause it hurt to burp and then they let me walk around for a while. she also told me i'd be more sore because i had a large hiatel hernia repair and had to have more stiches. i got discharged about 4:40- 5 ish and went to pick up some broth and pain meds. i slept on and off last night and have been peeing like a race horse but all together its good and i'm very happy i did it. i have to get a heating pad later for my shoulder but i'm so excited to start living better and being a heathier me:thumbup: