Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Weeks post op liquid diet

Help me, please. I am on day 4 of a two week (14 day) post op liquid diet. I did great the first couple of days, however today I am crawling out of my skin. My stomach is growling and I am feeling a little weak. I did great after my surgery and I am happy to say that I am almost gas free. almost. Anyway, I am required to be on a two week liquid diet that consist of sugar free juices diluted with Water, beef or chicken broth, crystal light, bouillon, gatorade, sugar free popsicles, sugar free Jello, Decaf tea or coffee and water. That is it for the next 10 days. I would like to know if anyone had to follow a liquid post op diet for two weeks and how did you handle it without going out of your mind. I am afraid that if I think on it too much, I will be a basket case. I am drinking the crystal light to stay hydrated and I am willing myself to read, sleep or whatever to keep my mind off of food or this diet. I am determined to stick to it and not cheat, but boy what a hard task I am taking on. I have been walking also to keep my mind occupied and this helps a little until I come home and it's time to eat and I am sitting here eating jello and my husband who is trying to be considerate is eating something that is microwavable so the house does not smell like food. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get through these next 10 days with my sanity intact?:rolleyes2:

Be strong CoCo! I was banded on 5/19 & as you said, the first few days weren't bad but it's starting to get to me. My husband is a custom painter by trade but is a unbelievable cook. No matter how hard he works, he still does 95% of the cooking. (it "relaxes" him) For the past 10 years I've indulged in gourmet meals every night. People pay $30 a plate for what we serve around here. The smell of delicious food is just too much for me to handle so last night (while he was cooking the T bone steak that I bought for him), I hopped on my bicycle & rode to the beach. I rode for about an hour & when I returned there was no sign of the delicious meal that I could not have passed up just one week ago. It still smelled good but other than a couple of dirty pans & a dish, it was not in my sight.

Another thing I'd like to suggest is a better tasting Liquid Protein. Isopure is so disgusting! I returned it all & on the advice of the GNC sales clerk, I tried "ProSlam 27". It comes in large test tubes & once chilled, isn't half as bad as that other stuff. It's a burst of energy. One of the emergency room drs that I work with suggested holding my nose when drinking the liquid Protein. It works! I immediatly chase it with a sugar free popsicle. I can hardly detect that awful aftertaste.

I stopped in at Weight Watchers this morning for a quick weigh in. I'm down another 9 pounds since two weeks ago-total of 18 since the beginning of May.

Good luck! Hang in there!

ppnj, thanks for the reply. I really feel better that I have vented. I was told by the nutritionist at the hospital not to drink my Optifast Protein Drinks until I finish this two week liquid diet. I don't know if I am allowed Protein Shots or unflavored Protein mix. It would sure help. I guess I will have to call the doctor's office to find out. I weighted myself this morning and there is no weight loss at all.(sigh). I have terrible diareahia(sp) however I am committed. I started this journey back in October 07 and it has been a long and stressful journey. I know that these next 10 days will be over before I know it. I just heated up some chicken broth and put it in one of my big coffee mugs and drank it as I imagined I was enjoying a cappucino or a regular cup of coffee with cream. My husband also just left under to pretense of getting gas for the mower, but I know he is headed out to enjoy a meal of some type. He told me that he had planned on grilling steaks and ribs this memorial day but he will not because I cannot have it. (He is the best). Congratulations on your weight loss and keep up the positive attitude.

I too was so weak about 7 days out that when I went to my doctor crying from weakness and turns out I was dehydrated. He put me on full liquids and even told me he wanted me taking in calories. He told me to have a smoothie from a smoothie shop everyday. I also drink a Protein Shake with higher calories kashie golean. I may lose slower but I feel better. I would have a sit down with your doc if I was you. Good Luck you will do great!!!!!!!

They're not the best things in the world, but I've been doing the Protein shots too. My surgeon considers them to be a clear liquid. I either have to slam them down, or I have a REALLY LARGE plastic cup that I'll put the shot in and heavily dilute with Water and ice. The ones I bought have 42g of Protein in them and I have two of those per day.

Other than that it's been toughing it out. It hasn't been TOO TOO bad because my husband was on the road after I was home a few days so I only had to "cook" for my toddler. The last couple days though have been a TOTALLY different story with him firing up the grill. UGH!!! I just keep telling myself "NOTHING tastes as good as being thin feels." Believe me, I repeat it CONSTANTLY.

Hi Coco -

Sounds like you have a great husband!!

I am drinking Isopure, but it isn't the powder shake stuff - it is pre-made and comes in bottles (looks like flavored water). Each bottle is 40 g of Protein and the flavors are orange, grape, apple melon and some others that I can't remember. I need to have 85 g of Protein a day, so I am drinking 2 a day and filling the rest with broth, etc. I keep it chilled and it really isn't bad!

Good luck to you! :)

Terri

Hi everyone! I just finished up my 2-week liquids last Wednesday. Believe me, I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. However, one of the things that helped me was to approach each day without thinking of the next. When I thought of it as, wow, how am I going to make it 2 weeks or 1 week or even 3 more days, it was so overwhelming but when I got up each day just thinking of only that day, it was a little more tolerable. I will have to say that after the 1st 3 days, I was able to move to full liquids so I didn't experience any of the weakness that some of you have. Just to be certain you understood the directions correctly, though, maybe you should contact your doctor's office and be sure that it's just Clear Liquids or whether you can progress to full liquids during this 2-week timeframe. It couldn't hurt! One other thing, by not cheating, you instill a sense of pride in yourself that doesn't go away. It has been very important to me -- especially when I spent so many years not being able to say no to that cookie or that extra plate of food... makes me sure I will be successful this time! :)

Southern Missy, you are absolutely correct in positive thinking of just taking it one day at a time. I have talked myself into just taking it one day at a time too. The liquids I spoke of in my earlier post is the only thing I can have until the mussie stage. There are no full liquids with my diet. In another 8 days I can look forward to running mashed potatoes(can't wait!!!!),apple sauce, soups(cream,egg drop), sugar free puddings, sugar free yogurt, milk, baby food and purreed fish, tuna, chicken, Protein Shakes, etc as long as it is pureed. I am so proud of myself because I have not cheated not even once. I am committed to this band because I chose it and I researched the process of loosing this weight and the ups and downs of it. Thanks for the encouragement and this too shall pass and one day I will be on this forum and I can help someone who is going through the same thing I am right now. You guys keep up the good work and lets do this!!!! Hugs to all:)