Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill today and already hungry??

I am 4w out of surgery (I have the Realize Band) and had 4cc put in today. Talk about hoopla - it was done at a surgical care center, so the surgeon could use their fluoroscopy equipment. It actually took longer to go through all their 'pre-admit procedures' than it did to do the actual fill.

I was told to do a full liquid diet through Friday, then soft foods Sat/Sun, and back to 'people food' on Monday.

Well, I am *hungry*. How is this even possible? I saw the fill with my own eyes on the screen and saw the restriction. I thought that there would be all this irritation and swelling in association with the fill. I had a packet of liquefied oatmeal and a big mug of broth, along with 20oz of Crystal Lite in the past seven hours.

He wants to see me in four weeks. Am I some sort of anomaly of nature?

-m

I had my first fill on the 13th of 6cc in a 14cc band, it was too tight, so they took it out. I went back this past tuesday and they put in 3cc instead to see how it would do and I feel NOTHING! I have no idea when I'll be able to go back, waiting to hear back from the scheduler lady. I feel your frustration though because I was all ready to be restricted and I've got nada!

If you were to get restriction with your first fill you would be the anomaly! Read the Fill FAQ, VERY rarely does the first fill ever really do anything. It is a starting point to build on. Most folks say it takes a minimum of two, more often three fills to get restriction. Don't kick yourself or your doc...it takes time, hang in there!

I'd say you havent had any swelling or anything from the fill - yet, but it could still happen. But I dont think it's extremely unusual. To stave off the hunger some, I'd recommend your high Protein drinks - they do help some, and will help you get over some hunger so you're less likely to run off the rails with solid food from the hunger! I know when I'm doing liquid after a fill I make sure to have 2 of my shakes a day.

Tina

I can totally understand what you are saying. I had my 1st fill today and I am starving and its only been 7 hours!!! I have a 10cc band and 5cc was filled today. He actually filled it to 6cc but when I was drinking Water as he was filling it I could totally feel the difference, so he took out a cc. I should have told him to keep it there...but I also don't want to go back to have him unfill it 1cc if that makes it too tight. That being said I don't get it either. I am suppose to be on a liquid/soft food diet till Friday and then I can gradually start eating solids. He told me that I would notice the difference when I started to eat solids. Maybe the liquids pass through us quicker making us hungry more??? I think becasue we were able to eat and chew before our fill we are missing the food...all in my head I think. I'll see what happens when I start to eat again...

Good luck on your continued journey.

BTW, how does everyone get those tickers on there pages..I can't seem to get one on there. I know where the website is but its not working for me. Help, anyone!!!!!

When I had 4cc's I noticed mild restriction, but not with mushies or liquids. I noticed the restriction when I began to eat regular foods. Perhaps when you get to regular foods you will have some restriction too. I am now at 6.2cc's and it's a bit too much. I have to stick with pretty soft foods or it hurts. I will probably have a bit taken out on my next visit in a couple of weeks. I'm grateful for the the restriction that I've experienced, whether it's a bit too much or just a little. No regrets here! Hang in there. It will happen! SS

What everyone else said plus liquids slip right through the band so you may not feel satisfied after a liquid meal - cant really tell until you have solids. Yes and I have had 6 fills so far and they didnt really start working until about the 3rd or 4th.

Oh we are so opposite. I had my first fill 5/20 and am struggling with even liquids, tried icecream the other day and could not even get that in with out pain in my chest! I guess I am one of the lucky ones all though I am not feeling lucky right now

Fills don't make you 'not hungry'. You are hungry because you aren't eating real food! That's normal! What a fill does is make it so that when you eat you get full faster, then stay full longer. The band is designed to work with dense food - not soft foods or liquids. My doctor makes me go on Clear Liquids after a fill and it is the worst torture ever. I am supposed to do clear liquids for three days but never make it that long. I do have to be very careful right after a fill though, because of the swelling I can be very tight right at first. So I do soft foods, too, for a few days. It may also be that you aren't feeling much restriction with 4cc's. I needed 7.5 cc's to really have much appetite supression. Hang in there and be patient and schedule your fills regularly until you get where you need to be. You will not be as hungry all the time once you hit your sweet spot.

I swear I'm starving too and miserable! I have the same band as you. 2-5-08 was my date. I'm down 18 pounds from all will power. I go for my 5th fill on the 2nd. So far I had restriction for 5 days and it was great. Then gone! I have 5cc's in my band right now. Most people feel restriction with 6cc's. Not to be negative I'm just so tired of waiting for my next fill. I want to not be hungry all the time. Hang in there and hopefully your Dr will put more than 1cc in at a time. Our bands are supposed to be great for the long term. But right now I am frustrated! I want to lose weight faster! Good luck! Chrissie