Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need a little boosting for surgery 05/28/08

:sad:I am so nervous about the pain the full liquid diet the saggy skin, the port site oh just help me with this? my mind is racing 24/7 I need to be reinsured that this right and I need this band so it can help me to stay healthly I keep telling myself this but others around me like co-workers say just cut back off the food, you will have to drink those Protein Drinks the rest of you life ect.... can anyone just give me some words of incouragement please.

I am on the liquad diet for 3 weeks and to be honest its not that bad. Its all in your will power and wanting to loose weight. I look at the lap band as a tool to help me loose weight and live a healthier life I know there will be hard times but they shall pass. As for saggy skin Id rather have it than have a heart attack and not be able to enjoy my kids and walk and play with them. So look at the possitive the band is a great tool to help you live a healthy and thinner life :rolleyes:

lilNora, we all had surgery and there is bound to be discomfort it can't be helped but it's certainly not all that bad. I made sure to take the pain medication my doctor provided for about the first 3 days every 4 hours. I had a terrible ripping pain at the port site that only went away yesterday but each day it lessened and when I couldn't take it out came the tylenol with codeine and then I'd be pain free for a few hours. For me the hardest was the drinking the amount of liquids required. Not because I was sick but I just didn't want food or drink. I ended up severely dehydrated so lesson learned is drink drink drink even when you don't want. I am still at the beginning of this journey but I am looking forward to the future and the me I have the potential to be.

Also if you read enough of these posts from those who went before us you can see that you won't be drinking Protein drinks for the rest of your life, believe me after the first weeks of liquids you won't want to!!!! I am 8 days out and will be happy to throw out my blender after this stage. You will be eating "regular" food just healthier smaller choices.

Don't listen to what others say no one knows how you feel until they have walked in your shoes. We are wired different and wouldn't be in this place if we could just say no to food but it doesn't make us faulty beings! Good luck on your journey!

The surgery pain will only bad for the first 3 days. The liquid diet is only temporary and it too shall pass. It is SOOO much fun to watch the scale gradually go down instead of up!! Yes it is alot to get used to, but you will, and you will be so much healthier!

I think most everyone gets nervous and has second, third and even fourth thoughts about the lap band and how it will affect your life but trust me.....no matter what, it's so worth it!!!!!! I was freaked out on the morning of my surgery and started not to go and that's one decision that I'm glad I didn't make. Sure I've had to change the way I eat but whenever I have a craving for something even if it's not good for me, I eat whatever it is but with my band, I don't ever overeat. The Protein shakes...I do them occasionally but not that often. I make sure I take my Vitamins and I've done great. The saggy skin, you betcha there will be some. I have so much but hopefully someday I'll be able to have surgery to remove some of it. But the advantages that come along with the lap band far outweigh any of the disadvantages. Most people don't understand why we have to turn to the lap band to lose weight but we know why. We simply overeat and most of us can't control that. I know for sure that I couldn't. I told my doctor that he put the band around my stomach not my brain. I still think about food and wish I could have such and such but my band does most of the work for me. Sure there are certain foods that my band won't let me eat but heck, it's so worth it. I never thought in a million years I could give up my beloved diet Dr. Peppers, but the last drink of one I had was at 11:55 p.m. the night before my surgery. I won't lie and say I don't miss them but it's something that I won't let myself give into. As you can see, my lap band has literally given me my life back by helping me lose weight. I not only look like a different person, I feel like one and trust me, it's a great feeling! Hang in there and just know that there are people on this site that can encourage and advise you no matter what. We all been there, done that and I'm betting that most everyone would tell you basically what I have....it's so worth taking the chance and going for it. You ever need anything...I'm here. Good luck and be prepared for the best thing you could ever do for yourself!

One more thing...the pain. there is some but it's honestly not that bad. The only pain I had after surgery was the gas pain and it only lasted a while. I had my surgery on a Friday and went grocery shopping on Sunday and then went to work on Tuesday. And I tend to be a bit of a wuss when it comes to pain but it really wasn't that bad for me. No matter what pain it might have been for me, it was nothing compared to my feet, legs, knees hurting every day lugging around all the weight I was carrying. I don't have that any more, thank goodness. Like I said, the pros most certainly outweigh the cons any time, hands down!

Nora...One of my favorite names BTW...you will be just fine. I was just like you on Thursday night. My surgery was on the 16th and I took a xanax the night before surgery. I was nervous about the pain, the diet, the fact that it might not work...EVERYTHING. Just like everyone else.

You'll be uncomfortable...and you'll have pain but you'll also have pain medication and a strong support system. I started full liquids today after being on Clear Liquids for ten days. It was heavenly...but unlike some people I wasn't ready for full liquids until today. I was fine on the clear liquid diet...I was getting bored but i was ok. I wasn't hungry at all.

The full liquid diet is absolutely crazy to me as I've been full for about 2 hours after having a Protein shake made with Protein powder, activa yogurt, a banana, and lactaid milk. I mean REALLY FULL! I was so excited to be on full liquids that I came home right away and pureed some campbells potatoe Soup and added some extra milk to it. I was able to eat 1/2 cup of Soup and I was just fine...it was a heavenly taste! I also had a sugar free fudge pop! For dinner I decided on the Protein Shake to see what it would taste like. I've been full forever.

As for the sagging skin, that's a huge concern for me as well. Although...I think it's a huge concern for all of us bariatric patients. On Thursday night my husband found me the livingroom sobbing. After trying to calm me down and listening to all of my crazy talk, he raised his right hand and promised to never allow my son to call another woman mommy if I died on the table, would love me even if I failed and didn't lose a pound, and that he would go to any length...including morgaging the house to ge me a tummy tuck! We ended up laughing together and he let me cry about all the scariness that I was going to face.

I just know that you are going to be ok. However, I also know that I wasn't completely OK with the whole thing until I was out of surgery and on the pain pump. I needed to be in a room that wasnt surgical. However, each day is a new experience...sometimes it's better and sometimes it feels like a step backwards. You are taking an approach that will allow you to better control your eating...which will allow you to more effectively control your health. You should be proud of the decisions that you have made over the past several months.

PS. I've lost 13 lbs and I'm only taking my pain meds to sleep at night! And let me tell you something, sister, I'm the biggest wussy girl in town!

I had my surgery on 4/30 (3 wks today)! Honestly, it was not bad at all, the pain only lasted about 3 days like glorybee said. Keep on time with the pain meds, and its tolerable.

As far as sagging skin (which freaked me out too), I finally thought either way banded or not, I must loose this weight and my skin will sag. The only way for it not to sag is stay fat.

And the liquid diet is not too horrible, the 1st few days you don't want much anyway. sugar free popsicles really help & the protien shakes are not so bad, I have one every morning with 1% milk (I think they are gross with water) and it gets my day going and helps curb my apetite for the day.

keep in mind how many weeks/months/years have passed you by and how fast they have gone. A few weeks of getting used to your band are nothing!! Time truly does fly!

You will do wonderful! good luck!

I think most everyone gets nervous and has second, third and even fourth thoughts about the lap band and how it will affect your life but trust me.....no matter what, it's so worth it!!!!!! I was freaked out on the morning of my surgery and started not to go and that's one decision that I'm glad I didn't make. Sure I've had to change the way I eat but whenever I have a craving for something even if it's not good for me, I eat whatever it is but with my band, I don't ever overeat. The Protein shakes...I do them occasionally but not that often. I make sure I take my Vitamins and I've done great. The saggy skin, you betcha there will be some. I have so much but hopefully someday I'll be able to have surgery to remove some of it. But the advantages that come along with the lap band far outweigh any of the disadvantages. Most people don't understand why we have to turn to the lap band to lose weight but we know why. We simply overeat and most of us can't control that. I know for sure that I couldn't. I told my doctor that he put the band around my stomach not my brain. I still think about food and wish I could have such and such but my band does most of the work for me. Sure there are certain foods that my band won't let me eat but heck, it's so worth it. I never thought in a million years I could give up my beloved diet Dr. Peppers, but the last drink of one I had was at 11:55 p.m. the night before my surgery. I won't lie and say I don't miss them but it's something that I won't let myself give into. As you can see, my lap band has literally given me my life back by helping me lose weight. I not only look like a different person, I feel like one and trust me, it's a great feeling! Hang in there and just know that there are people on this site that can encourage and advise you no matter what. We all been there, done that and I'm betting that most everyone would tell you basically what I have....it's so worth taking the chance and going for it. You ever need anything...I'm here. Good luck and be prepared for the best thing you could ever do for yourself!

OMG...Your story made me cry! What an inspiration you are. Thank you for sharing your story.

I'm nowhere nears as far along as you, I have at least three weeks until surgery if everything goes ideally (in other words the doctors do what I want instead of what they want. :biggrin2:) But I understand how scary this will all be when I am as close to surgery as you. I just have done enough research to know this is the right thing to do if I ever want to stay healthy. I've been lucky so far - my body has not punished me for the abuse I have given it. But that will change soon if I don't mend my ways. And this is the tool that will help me do that.

If you are like most of us on here you have dieted multiple times with great success only to gain the weight back plus 10%. Do you really want that cycle to continue? Do you really believe that it is simply a matter of eating less? :rolleyes: This is a tool that will help you get healthier if you think of it as a tool and not as a miracle. Yes, the pain after surgery will be rough, for a couple days. BFD. Walk a lot after surgery and that will diminish the gas pains tremendously. Ok, your skin might sag. Or it might not - mine hasn't any of the other times I've lost weight. Worse case, you get a second job because you have so much energy and earn the money for a lift of whatever parts need it. The port site? The miracle area where a little shot (that you don't feel because they numb you) turns you from a raging foodaholic into a disciplined health monger who craves healthy food.

Be aware of and realistic about the risks. The community lost a member a few weeks ago because of complications after surgery. It can happen - all surgery is dangerous from root cannels to heart bypass operations. But don't make the risks and discomforts so huge they cripple you. Pain is mostly in your mind. If you focus on the positive rather than the negative you will have a better experience. Remember, above all you are in control. You can stop the surgeon. You can have the band removed (please don't until you've gone at least six months as many people want that at first but change their minds when their bodies start changing.) You can read about people's experiences and see if you can spot a pattern in how people respond online and in surgery. The more negative people seem to have a harder time to me, although that is a subjective opinion. :tongue:

You did the right thing by bringing your fears here and communicating what most of us felt/will feel in your situation. But talk to the people who have been through it. Find a support group in your area and meet the people in person. See the differences live. Only you know if this is right for you, and you should not do anything you truly do not want to. But address your fears realistically. Pain - do you truly believe modern medicine can't help you deal with that? Sagging skin - if I offered to suck out 125 pounds of fat today but you'd have sagging skin left would you really say no? liquid diet - yes the first two weeks are tough but they prepare you for the next two weeks and you won't have much hunger then anyway. Don't you think you can get through the first tough 336 hours if you will be thin and good-looking after? The post site - well, if you're not married imagine the fun of having a new lover find that and explaining to them that you are bionic.

Just ask yourself - do you really believe your co-workers when they say "just back off the food" and you'll get thin? Truly believe it after how many years of trying?

Keep us informed and be very true and honest with yourself. And you really can do anything you believe you can.

Edited by SanDiegoSusan

Thank you all soooo much for all of your notes it made me cry I knew I could count on you to help me through this goodluck to everyone!

:sad:I am so nervous about the pain the full liquid diet the saggy skin, the port site oh just help me with this? my mind is racing 24/7 I need to be reinsured that this right and I need this band so it can help me to stay healthly I keep telling myself this but others around me like co-workers say just cut back off the food, you will have to drink those Protein drinks the rest of you life ect.... can anyone just give me some words of incouragement please.

Let me first say congrats on your band date, and I WILL SAY IF I CAN DO IT U CAN TOO... Trust me when i say that. I am a single parent of 1 son that lives alone. I had mine done out patient. Took my son to school that day after picked him up and was off of work for the next few days... it was hard, however if u have some help with making sure u drink your fluids u WILL BE OK.... I will not lie to u... Once u get banded every day IS BETTER THAN THE DAY BEFORE.... :tt1:...Saggy skin... naaaa don't worry about that, that's where the excercising comes in u will be ok... U have come this far and it dosent make any since to even look back now.... U go Girl....:confused_smile:

If anything I said inspires you Nora or anyone else.....that makes me feel good beyond belief! One of my goals is to show people that start out weighing as much as I did and people that weigh less that it most certainly can be done. I have a couple of stories I wanted to share...the first one....I worried about the saggy skin but I kept telling myself that if a man can come on the Maury Povich show and strap and tuck their bodies to make them look like women, heck, I could do the same thing! Bring on the tight fitting panties and if needed I'll just pull out the ole masking tape. So far, so good. I actually have found that even with the sagging skin, I look pretty darn good. I didn't know I actually had a figure besides round. The other story, when I came out of surgery, my family was there along with my Momma. She had the beginning stages of Alzheimers and got confused easily. She looked down at me and said, "Well good Lord, if you were going to have surgery to lose weight why in the heck didn't they cut more off you!" At the time it wasn't funny to me but now I think it's priceless. As MsTrina said...If I can do it, anyone can!