Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Major Diarrhea 4 days post-op

I was banded 6/23 same here with the diarrhea. I too suspect that once I get some solids in me it will stop. Actually it feels good to have it as I can let out some of this dreadful Gas. I only wish I could figure how to get my left shoulder gas pain out. I made homemade Cream of Potato Soup today just for something that normal food. I served some to my partner who has been on my pre-op and post-op diet with me so far (bless her soul) she has lost over 20 pounds. However, she knows it will get harder for her once I get some restriction. We can't wait for the next phase. I dream of tuna fish and cottage cheese. I plan on going to work on Monday, perhaps just for half the day. I can't believe how much energy I'm gaining every day and I have hardly any pain in my arthritic knee. I can acutally bend. I'm looking forward to going to the support group the hospital has to offer and am going to start doing some walking after I have my doctors appointment on Wednesday. I am so gald this forum is available. We are family

I was banded June 19th and have the same problem. The bariatric nurse said that I'm probably temporarily lactose intolerant and advised that I stay away from the cream Soups for now. No prob...as long as it isn't forever!

hi there, i had the same issue - 'd' - for about 8 to 10 days after surgery. then it stopped and now things are more normal. i was very concerned because we are supposed to stay hydrated. i too am lactose intolerant but have been crushing up lactaid pills and using lactaid milk or even Water to mix my whey Protein drinks. i can't have soy or i'd have tried that. i still am having the same stuff now and the 'd' is gone - so i don't think it was the lactose issue.

i used chewable pepto tablets to help when it was overwhelming me. that helped too.

hang in there, it'll go away. make sure you keep up on fluids - my dr. recommended that i sip gatorade.

I was banded on July 3rd and have had diarrhea for 2 days with no warning. Glad to hear I'm not alone. I was wondering if I needed to call dr but reading everyone's comments, I'll wait. Thanks

Thank You so much for posting this! I was very worried as I was having the same experience and it wasn't one of the things the Dr. told me to expect. At least I know i am normal and won't stray far from the BR.

hi! oddly, my dr. didn't expect this either and told me i must have caught a bug. i didn't feel sick tho. from what i've read here, it happens to many people!

I had my banding on Tuesday (7/8) and I wasn't peeing a whole lot and very little diarrhea....my first day home yesterday I peed like a horse, and today my diarrhea finally came. And I mean it arrived...:lol:

hopefully it's just catching up...

globally yours, we have the same band date!!! Also, it took like 4 days before i had dirrhea (sp) well i mean when i went it was liquid but i only went like once a day for like 3 days then constipated a lil bit, things are levelling though now problems now.

I am 2 days post op and it has started this morning.

Boy was I glad to find this thread, even if it isn't current. I've been having major diarrhea for the last 3 days - immediately post op was constipated, but expected that. The diarrhea was a surprise. I'm almost afraid to go out walking so am doing it in the living room. Glad I took these 2 weeks off!

Very normal......liquid in = liquid out! My surgeon warned me of this ahead of time so that I had Imodium on hand.

Be sure you stay well hydrated.

Wish I had seen this before I just posted! Answered a lot of my questions! I was banded yesterday, and woke up to it!

I was just banded on June 10th, and am also having it, hope it ends soon for both of us.