Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you realize that you could eat anything?

I know the answers will vary. But I'm quite curious...How long after surgery did you realize you had no restriction and could eat as you did before surgery? How did you know (where you hungry as a wolf, never full, etc)? How where you able to continue losing or keep from gaining?

I'm asking because I want to be mentally prepared. My doc prescribed Phentermine before surgery. If I have to take it before I get my first fill, I won't hesitate! It is definitely an appetite killer. Thanks

I know the answers will vary. But I'm quite curious...How long after surgery did you realize you had no restriction and could eat as you did before surgery?

I never let myself realize this. I had 2 weeks of liquids, 2 weeks of pureed and then had a fill. At that point I just continued following the rules. You wil find this is a mental game and for me it was a lot easier to not let myself KNOW what I could eat. I just kept saying...you can't have that, it could hurt going doing. That is what I said about bread, rice, and Pasta. At some point I did have a little of each and realized that rice really did cause a lot of pain.

How did you know (where you hungry as a wolf, never full, etc)?

That was one of the hardest things for me to realize. I never really felt hungry, and I never really felt full. The only way that I KNEW that I was done eating was that there was nothing left on my plate. I learned early that I had to measure out 1 cup of food, place that on my plate, and only eat that. If we went out to dinner I couldn't pick from the shared plate because I never knew when to stop. I think I could now, but at the beginning, I always placed my portion on a separate small plate and just ate the portion I had dished out for myself.

How where you able to continue losing or keep from gaining?

Success breeds success...you want to feel that excitement everytime you step on the scale of seeing it go down. I never deprived myself of any food group. I occasionally had a few bites of cheesecake, or 1/4 serving of Pasta, or a 1/4 of a potato so that I didn't crave and binge on these things. I was determined...this battle is almost all mental!

I'm asking because I want to be mentally prepared. My doc prescribed Phentermine before surgery. If I have to take it before I get my first fill, I won't hesitate! It is definitely an appetite killer. Thanks

I don't think it is bad that you were give an appetite suppresent because it will get you through bandster hell, but my biggest suggestion is to not give up your control to anything...not the band and not a pill. Once you learn the power you get from controling your brain, your food and your life, you will never want to go back. I get a sense of pride when my brain tells me to eat and to eat CRAP foods or stop running, and I don't listen...I get so proud of myself for being able to be in control...and that has led to great success for me!

Wow Salsa, you never felt hungry! I think that is amazing. I can already say that I haven't had the same pleasure, even this early on. I think that if hunger weren't an issue for me, then I would be okay during this time period. I guess that's were my questions stemmed from.

I started feeling severe hunger pains after my 4th day post op. Being limited to only liquids was pretty awful. Even with getting in all my Protein Shakes, I literally felt my stomach growl most of the day. If I hadn't been so hungry, I really think I would have been okay for the most part. Now that I have started mushies, I feel so much better. Currently I am cooking cheeseburgers and fries for my family and I don't have a problem not eating any, because I am not hungry and I know that when I'm ready to eat I can have something satisfying.

I agree with the pride in being able to put mind over matter. But when my stomach is growling so hard it hurts, my mind isn't even part of the battle!:leaving:

Don't worry about portions. Just keep eating the right foods until you are not hungry. If that means you eat 15 times per day, the so be it. Your stomach growling is often just air rumbling around in there and it does go away with time. It is not used to being empty! Make sure that you do not drink while you are eating. Even with mushies don't drink a half-hour before or for an hour after. This will help with the ability to stay fuller longer. This is not the time to worry about weight loss...just healing. So as long as you stay with the mushies and get full you won't hurt yourself. It is when you progress with the WRONG consistency food that you can hurt yourself. And no I didn't really feel hunger...but that is not a good thing either. It was frustrating to eat and feel exactly the same before and after the meal. It made me want to eat more because I didn't feel like eating had accomplished anything. Believe me the grass is not always greener on the other side!

Hope this clarified a few things. Your hunger will subside substantially after your fill!

Don't worry about portions. Just keep eating the right foods until you are not hungry. If that means you eat 15 times per day, the so be it.

Well, I guess that may be one of my problems. I've been trying not to graze. Yesterday I had oatmeal for Breakfast. I didn't eat again until several hours later. By then I was so starved that I ate too fast and ended up in pain. I guess I've got so much info, rules, and guidelines floating around in my mind that I'm sometimes being too careful. :leaving:

What did your nutritionist say? That was the advice that mine gave me.

Well, I met my nutritionist once, and she gave me a "manual" on food guidelines and went over the allowable foods. I've received a total of three packets of information large enough to fill a binder. Most of the info is repetitive, and a little bit is conflicting.

I didn't ask about frequency of eating, but information from the nutritionist says eat three small meals a day. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner (2 oz. at a time) and 3 Protein supplements between meals. I wrongly assumed that I would have some restriction from just the band itself and all would be good. I didn't realize there was this "bandster hell" until recently.

I have been sticking to the 3 meals a day. But 2oz? That is a joke!

So you were banded on May 9th also? How long were you on the liquid diet? I havent been hungry yet. In my mind, sure Id love to have a piece of pizza or some Olive Garden, but I know I cant eat it. Honestly after I have to chew stuff soo long, I dont even want to eat anything. I am so glad that I havent been hungery though. What kind of mushy foods are you eating? Just wondering. I am trying to eat, I havent had anything bother me yet. Had some chilli and some potatos, then some scrambled eggs. What have you tried??

Well, I met my nutritionist once, and she gave me a "manual" on food guidelines and went over the allowable foods. I've received a total of three packets of information large enough to fill a binder. Most of the info is repetitive, and a little bit is conflicting.

I didn't ask about frequency of eating, but information from the nutritionist says eat three small meals a day. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner (2 oz. at a time) and 3 Protein supplements between meals. I wrongly assumed that I would have some restriction from just the band itself and all would be good. I didn't realize there was this "bandster hell" until recently.

I have been sticking to the 3 meals a day. But 2oz? That is a joke!

Does your nutritionist deal mostly with gastric bypass patients because those are the guidelines that they have to follow. My doc only works with lap-banders and says that 1/2 cup to 3/4 of a cup is good. Once filled like I mentioned I only ate 1 cup.

Does your nutritionist deal mostly with gastric bypass patients because those are the guidelines that they have to follow. My doc only works with lap-banders and says that 1/2 cup to 3/4 of a cup is good. Once filled like I mentioned I only ate 1 cup.

Hmmm, maybe that's it. I know my surgeon performs both surgeries, and the literature that they give patients is the same regardless of which surgery you choose. As a matter of fact, I can't recall whether or not my nutritionist asked me which surgery I was having. She could very well have known from my chart, though.

I can definitely eat about 3/4 to 1 cup of food right now. I haven't tried to eat more. That is just the amount that I allow myself since I reached the point of satisfaction my first time with mushies.

Edited by atallen06