Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking before, during, and after meals??? A bit confused.

Okay guys,

I am only 7 days post op and I've got so much information floating around my brain that I'm confusing myself.

Now, I understand that I shouldn't drink during meals, and a certain time period before and after. My question is...since I am on full liquids, does this rule still apply?

The reason I'm asking is that I have found myself becoming more ravenous as the days pass. I don't have a problem not drinking Water while I'm "drinking my meal", but since I have started to develop this constant hunger, I'd like to be able to sip on water when the stomach starts to growl. Often that is 10-15 minutes after a bowl of Soup, Protein Shake, or yogurt.

I'm assuming that if I'm getting hungry so quickly after a "meal", then the liquid is running through the band rather quickly. So does that mean that I'm not in danger of washing away my meal if I sip on water when I feel hungry? Or should I just dive face first into another bowl of soup?:confused2:

I tried to stick to no drinking rule even when I was on liquids, but that was because I am a rule follower. One thing that you might not realize is that sometimes when your tummy is growling...it isn't actually hungry. Sometimes it is just air rumbling. I would think if you could stick it out until at least 30 minutes after you eat that you are going to train your MIND that you are not going to give into it everytime, and you will start setting up great habits for the future. I don't think medically it is critical at this point, but mentally it takes several weeks to create a habit so there is no time like the present. It is okay to feel hunger sometimes. I have learned that standing up to myself and not letting my "hungry brain" rule my life has changed me for the better. You are in a tough spot though...once the hunger starts and you are still on liquids...it is tough. Hang in there though..it does go by faster than you imagine. So my advice...try to stick it out 30 minutes!

you can drink right up until your meal, don't drink with it and then for 30 min after. I would give myself the 20-30 min post meal to figure out if I am really still hungry or is it just in your head, try adding Protein Powder to you meals and see if that makes a difference, Unjury makes an unflavoured one that you can add to anything, by having more Protein you should feel more satiated.

Dangit! That was so not what i was hoping to hear. But of course, it's what I needed to hear. I will take both suggestions. I'll wait the long, torturous 30 minutes. :biggrin: And I'll try adding more Protein. I guess i could sprinkle it in my Soup. Hadn't thought of that.

Thanks to both of you!

Dangit! That was so not what i was hoping to hear. But of course, it's what I needed to hear. I will take both suggestions. I'll wait the long, torturous 30 minutes. :biggrin: And I'll try adding more Protein. I guess i could sprinkle it in my Soup. Hadn't thought of that.

Thanks to both of you!

I got unjury Protein Powder that was unflavored. Another thing is to add silken tofu. It blends up and you can't taste it and it is thin enough to eat. I am going to paste some soup recipes that I have used that might give you some heartiness. It sounds like you can have thick liquids if you are eating yogurt. You may need to strain or blend the crap out of these to fit the level of thickness you can have.

Soup recipes

Roasted Tomato with Roasted Garlic

This recipe yielded about 1 cup.

Ingredients:

½ container of grape tomatoes

4-6 cloves of garlic (depends on size and strength of garlic desired)

4 oz of silken tofu

2 TBSP of fresh basil (2-3 tsp of dried basil)

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Peal the garlic and wrap in a small piece of aluminum foil.

2. Place the tomatoes on a cookie sheet and spray with PAM, sprinkle with salt and pepper.

3. Put the tomatoes and garlic in a 350 degree oven until done.

a. Tomatoes will burst and shrivel a bit

b. Garlic will be soft and mash easily with a fork

c. Tomatoes will probably finish before the garlic

4. Place the tomatoes and garlic in a food processor (or blender)

5. Add the tofu and blend until almost smooth.

6. Heat through and add the finely chopped basil at the end.

7. Simmer for a few minutes to let the flavors blend.

8. If necessary thin out with FF evaporated milk.

Grilled Asparagus Soup

Ingredients:

¼ pound or more of asparagus

2-3 cloves of garlic (depends on size and strength of garlic desired)

4 oz of silken tofu

¼ small onion (more or less depending on taste)

¼ -1/3 cup of LF shredded cheese.

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Either boil grill on BBQ (much better!) the asparagus until just undercooked.

a. To grill on BBQ spray with PAM and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in aluminum foil if you do not have a flat grill on BBQ.

2. Sautee garlic, onions and cooked asparagus

3. Place veggies in a food processor (or blender)

4. Add the tofu and blend until smooth.

5. Add FF evaporated milk until correct texture.

6. Heat to desired temperature

Sautéed Mushroom and tuna Soup

(This was my way of eating tuna noodle casserole…soup style!)

Ingredients:

½ pound or more of mushrooms (any kind will work)

2-3 cloves of garlic (depends on size and strength of garlic desired)

4 oz of silken tofu or white Beans

¼ small onion (more or less depending on taste)

1 can of tuna fish

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Sautee mushrooms, garlic and onions until desired texture.

2. Add to food processor or blender.

3. Add 4oz of silken tofu or ½ can of white Beans (depending on your taste!)

4. Add drained tuna fish (or any other canned fish)

5. Puree to desired texture.

6. Heat and add FF evaporated milk to thin if needed

So as you can see, the base for these Soups is pretty much the same. If you don’t like tofu I would assume that white canned beans would work just as well. Experiment with different spices, add a little parmesan cheese, or different veggies. Right now you shouldn’t be worrying as much about calories, but rather about healing. If you would like add meat to any of these it would work just fine. Ground chicken, hamburger, and ground turkey all pulverize very well. You will most likely just have to thin it out with the FF evaporated milk. That one ingredient has changed my way of cooking. Once you graduate to real foods you can have chicken Alfredo for VERY few calories by using this one ingredient.

Another soup that has good flavor is to just take some refried beans and beef stock. It has a lot of flavor and a lot of Protein to keep you fuller longer. Also take some spaghetti sauce and add some pulverized veggies to it and it makes it better. Adding some pureed white beans also helps it feel like more food.

I was right where you are on day 5 and 6. It was toture I felt so hungry. But then I read Salsa's recipes and it made sense that I just needed to make my "soups" more nutritious and hearty. SO I pureed fish and potatos and milk so it was like a chowder and I tried kidney Beans and spaghetti sauce..tasted like chili. Some folks have said that ricotta and cottage cheese and spahetti sauce to a Soup texture is also good. My understanding is that all of these will work for full liquid/pureed stage depending on their thickness.

I cannot eat more than 1/2-3/4 cup and I am truly full. I guess I am blessed because other than those couple of days between 5-7 I have not felt hungry and small bits of food are satisfying. I can't say I am dropping TONS of weight but I lost 10 ounds since the 5th. I guess that is 10 pounds in 10 days. I'lltake it!

Cindi

I was right where you are on day 5 and 6. It was toture I felt so hungry. But then I read Salsa's recipes and it made sense that I just needed to make my "soups" more nutritious and hearty. SO I pureed fish and potatos and milk so it was like a chowder and I tried kidney Beans and spaghetti sauce..tasted like chili. Some folks have said that ricotta and cottage cheese and spahetti sauce to a Soup texture is also good. My understanding is that all of these will work for full liquid/pureed stage depending on their thickness.

I cannot eat more than 1/2-3/4 cup and I am truly full. I guess I am blessed because other than those couple of days between 5-7 I have not felt hungry and small bits of food are satisfying. I can't say I am dropping TONS of weight but I lost 10 ounds since the 5th. I guess that is 10 pounds in 10 days. I'lltake it!

Cindi

When is the last time that you lost 10 pounds in 10 days???? That is amazing weight loss. I only lost 18 in the first month...but after that I averaged 3.4 pounds per week. I can't say there was any secret except that I stayed loose enough to eat GOOD foods and I followed the rules! Glad the recipes help. I think that is the downfall for a lot of people during the first few weeks...they think the only thing they can have is canned Soups. I love the ricotta and spaghetti sauce. When I transferred to mushies I made noodle-less lasagne in muffin tins. Froze them and then ate that for meals. Just make sure if you are doing it during the liquid stage that it is thin enough. Good luck and if you want to figure out how to make other things into soups just PM me and I can USUALLY help out. I love to cook...can you tell!