Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long Time Bandsters Experiencing Problems?

Hi, good luck to you starrgirrl. Please God it wont have to come out and they can fix you up with just an adjustment. Even better if all you need is to loosen it up for a while. Some people have had the band removed for one reason or another but have had it re-fitted after 6 months or so. Still a lot of agro though. Think positive you'll be fine. Thinking of you mate. Jim.

As they say, hope for the best, plan for the worst. Hopefully, they won't have to remove your band. I was faced with the same problem over a year ago and luckily, my band was not removed. They added extra stitches to prevent a 2nd slip. Since then I reached goal and have been maintaining +/- 10 pounds. Maybe it will be better this time around and you will reach your goal! I wish you the best and keep us updated.

Good luck Starrgirrl,

glad they found the problem and it wasn't in your head like mine is!! take care brandyII

I have had my band for 10 months, had 4 fills and have been doing very well. I have lost 55 pounds. The other day, though, I had some pain in my port area, and later went to eat lunch and no longer felt any restriction. I went to see my surgeon today and he said that there was no Fluid left in my band. He told me that the tube may be detached from the port, or a faulty tube to the band occured, or a leak happened somewhere. He has only had three cses of it ever, and that It may be a simple fix, or a complete replacement of my band. I need to schedule surgery again, and he will not know what it is until he goes in there. I can not get a date for over a month so I am back to the beginning again. It is very depressing. Has anyone had this happen to them???

Tracy:confused2:

Hi Everyone-

Thank you for the loving support. I'm still processing all that is coming forward for me. My food addiction is still quite present and I'm aware that these next six weeks provide a wonderful opportunity to explore ways to heal my relationship with food regardless of my band status. Whether it stays or goes, I really want to have a more balanced relationship with food. My husband is totally supportive of me... we're talking about starting to exercise together and bring healthier foods into the house.

I'm grateful for your love and support!

Starrgirrl

Hi Tracy-

I had a similar problem. When I was first banded, my port was in an funny position and it made fills very difficult. I had to have it repositioned. Then my band wouldn't hold a fill. It turned out that there was a tiny hole in the tubing right near the port -- it must have gotten nicked during one of the difficult fill attempts. So they had to go back in and replace the port and tubing. It was a pretty easy procedure and it only involved the port and tubing, not the band around the stomach. Hopefully your situation can be resolved just as simply!

starrgirrl,

I'm sorry about the diagnosis of the slippage. I hope that they'll be able to reposition the band so you won't have to lose it.

It sounds like you've got your mind in the right place, almost like a new start.

Try to concentrate on not overeating until you have the surgery to see if you can shrink your upper pouch as much as possible. This may help the chances of saving your band.

I'm very glad your husband is supportive. Sounds like a good opportunity for you both to start doing new things together.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you're doing.

The doctor told me it could be a little knick in the tubing like you had. He said it could be from rubbing along the ribcage. I can't believe it happened after only 10 months. I love my band, and now have to try not to overeat. I can't get into surgery for 4 weeks because he is so booked up. Hopefully it will be the port or the tubing and not the land itself. I hate to go under anesthesia again but there is no other way.Thanks for your support.

Tracy

Hi Everyone-

I thought I would write a follow up to my original post. Yesterday I was diagnosed with a slipped band. The doctor showed us the flouro and compared it to a "normal" banded patient. As a result of the slip, I have a rather large pouch above the band. This explains why I've been able to eat so much. Over the last 18 months, I've gained almost 30 pounds. I now understand why... the band hasn't been working properly.

In March of 2007, I had flouro done with a different doctor. He said my esophogas was dilated. I now wonder if it was actually slipped at that time.

They're going to do surgery in late July. The doctor says he'll reposition it if he can, but otherwise it will have to be removed. I'm preparing myself emotionally for the likelihood of it being removed (that's my intuitive hit of what will have to happen). So I'm going to spend the next month preparing myself mentally, emotionally and physically for this big shift. I've purchased the book Optimal Wellness that Oprah's been talking about and I'm going to clear my diet of the foods that are triggering my addictive behaviors.

There are some big changes underway... It would seem as if the rate of complications on long-time bandsters is higher than originally thought.

I'm so grateful to have been banded and I hope that they can still make mine work in a way that will allow me to experience health and wellness.

I enourage anyone else who is experiencing the same symptoms as me to get checked.

Lots of Love, Starrgirrl

Stargirl, I am so sorry and as I read your post I felt your pain. My band helped me to loose 70 lbs then after my ability to eat way to much I have gained 23 lbs back. Although, my band has aided in bringing me back to life. Not only am I smaller, I can run and chase my boys, fit in carnival seats without fear of embarrasment, physically enjoy my husband & walk the mall without foot pain. But I am not there yet. Loosing my band would just crush me. I can only imagine what you are going to have to go through mentally. It makes me very emotional thinking about what you will feel since it sounds as though that might be my problem too. You are not alone girlfiend. Please continue to keep us posted especally since we are very common.