Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel Like a Sell Out!

One of my best friends recently had bypass surgery. I don't know how typical she is but she has not lost a ton of weight and has to work at making the right food choices and exercising just as band patients do. She was diabetic and ate an amazing amount of sugar - she just could not stay away from it. Now, she eats a very small amount of sugar - no more than 2 small bites and she does not dump but any more than that and she will be sick. She is happy with her decision but I think for both surgeries the key is to change your habits. I am still sold on lap-band but respect other people's choices. She only has to take one multi-Vitamin a day as the bypass is not as extreme as it was years ago.

Good luck with your decision. I am sure you will be fine either way.

The lap band is much less invasive - and less complications. slower weight loss but so much better for your body. I have friends that have done both procedures. It is really what you are more comfortable with. Don't let them change your mind. I had my lap band a week ago. I am feeling great! good luck with what ever you decide.

Hey Shannon check out these results from a bandster on this board

Becky

Banded by Dr. Jayaseelan in Dallas on April 29, 2005

Now I'll finally admit this....starting weight 469, today (5/7/08) 187 and still losing.

If I calculated correctly that is a loss of 282 in three years time. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me. Thats an average of 94 pounds a year. So see you could/can be at goal in a years time. Now that's exciting!!

I read that you should avoid fibrous foods, because they can get stuck in the stoma. And then no soda at all, not even diet, no carbonated beverages.

This is true for the lapband...are you asking or telling? Are you talking about the lapband or bypass. I'm confused. Sorry.

This is true for the lapband...are you asking or telling? Are you talking about the lapband or bypass. I'm confused. Sorry.

I guess I'm hoping it's not true! I'm talking about the Lap Band.

Thanks everyone... I really appreciate you taking the time to write to me! This is such a huge step... Although I might like the faster results of the bypass I don't like the risk and I definitely don't like the idea of being Vitamin defficient for the rest of my life!

I think you should sit down and take a good, hard look and what you are really expecting and wanting out of WLS. THEN decide which surgery would be right for you. Lapbanders who have a big problem with un-controllable sugar cravings may be able to eat around the band. Bypass, you have dumping after you eat a certain amount (an you can eat small amounts of sugar). Portion Control issues work great with the band, bypass- throw it up and go back for more food.

It is really up to you to really look at your reasons/issues behind needing/wanting WLS and then go from there.

As far as what some of you are saying about ALL bypass patients, get some of your facts straight, unless you know someone personally like I do and even then, it does not affect ALL bypass patients.

I'm not a fan of bypass FOR MYSELF b/c I don't want to cut up and re-arrange my insides BUT my mom and sister both had bypass and they are both doing fantastic. My sister has since had THREE kids after her surgery and all were fine and healthy. My mom works out like a maniac and loves it. At 61 she's bike riding, working out, kayaking, hiking, etc., all stuff she had NEVER been able to do because of her weight. My sister is 6 years out and my mom is 4 1/2 years out.

Now I will say that my sister's DH had bypass as well and he has gained all of his weight back. He eats til he pukes and then goes back for more food. He didn't change his lifestyle and expected the bypass to do all the work. He blames the surgery, not himself for his problems. He's also a disgusting, prejudiced pig (and that has nothing to do with his weight!) and I hate him and figure he got what he deserved but that's a family thing!:biggrin2:

As far as complications with my sister and mom, both have to watch their Iron levels, they will get anemic if they aren't paying attention. Mom has a stomach that tends to produce too much acid if she doesn't eat regularly or pay attention to what she's putting in her stomach but it's totally manageable if she's paying attention (and she had stomach problems before surgery). And neither one has pale, pasty complexions! They both take multi-vits but they did before surgery as well, so no difference with that. And neither one has re-gained any weight.

For myself, I didn't want to re-arrange my insides and I don't have the weight to lose that my mom and sister did. I also haven't been heavy my whole life like they were and I don't want to have a lot of loose skin. I'm hoping with a slower loss, I'll have less skin problems. I can't afford surgery for that so I'm hoping to avoid most of it with a slower loss. I also like the idea of not being down after surgery for long. I have a 2 year old and DH is a fireman and I have be up and going fairly quickly with DH gone for 72 hour shifts. To me, LB is less invasive and a safer procedure overall.

Anyway, the decision isn't up to us, patients at your office or your doctors, it's up to you. Best wishes with your decision!

Edited by heartfire
Typos! UGH!

I guess I'm hoping it's not true! I'm talking about the Lap Band.

Oh yeah. Sucks huh :thumbup:

Most dr.'s advise their lapband patients against carbonated beverages because the gas can cause pain, and the carbonation can stretch the pouch

Fibrous foods CAN cause problems. But asparagus is my favorite veggie and the only part I find hard to get down is the ends if they were not cut short enough. This is very individual, however.

The hardest part for me was giving up champagne. Really, though soda's can be an addiction and giving up unhealthy addictions are never a bad idea. Water taste better to me now.

May I chime in on the soda thing? I was a HUGE diet soda freak..lots on a daily basis. But I really don't miss it. Ice Water, flavored water and crystal lite are much more satisfying. just thought id share.

cindi

I agree and my vote is for the band.. It can be adjusted and REVERSED.. plus you have so so many more options with it ...

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Why would you want to reverse WLS?

The only reason to have a band removed is due to band related complications such as a severe slip or erosion. Then people revise to something else.

My vote is for a sleeve. Fewer complications than band or bypass.

My Dr. does bypasses but he said that he only did bypass for people he felt didn't have two to five years to lose the weight, but that lap band was what he felt was the leading surgery today. They both work, but it is very individual. You have to do whats right for you. I think we both did this.

I think that people need to do the right surgery for their particular needs. I feel like I have made the right choice, but just decide what works best for you OP and go for it. Good luck with your decision

HI EVERYONE WHEN THE NURSE FIRST CALL ME FOR MY APP SHE ASK ME HOW MUCH I WEIGHT SHE SAID OH YOU QUALIFY FOR GASTRIC BYPASS MY MOUTH DROP BECAUSE I,VE BEEN RESEARCHING THE LAPBAND THEN SHE HIT,S ME WITH THIS OVER THE PHONE I FEEL SO DIS I,M GONNA ASK MY DOCTOR AT MY NEXT APP.SIL

Melting mama's You Tube video about the bypass is AWESOME. I am so glad I chose the band. I have met a few women that had bypass and they are still miserable. Good Luck with your decision.

Coach Cher, thank you for that. I have a friend who was offered both and I think may be pressured into the bypass. Lap Band is not an overnight miracle(which would be nice) but it does take patience, following of rules and exercise. I can't wait until it helps me not regain it once I hit my goal. I have been on the weight loss roller coaster all my life. Hang in there everyone. Small goals. 2 pounds a week lost is 100+ in a year.