Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

100 Things (Not really 100)

Hello Fellow June Bandsters!

I feel like I have 100 questions and thoughts going through my mind right now. First of all, I will be banded by Dr. Garth Davis on June 6th. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Here's a list of the some of the questions I'm hoping to get some answers/comments for:

1. Where can I find Protein shakes/drink options? I have no ideal where to begin. :confused2:

2. What should I tell people (that don't know I'm having the surgery) to explain the sudden weight loss and the 'no eating' like normal? :confused2:

3. Embarrassing question :biggrin: ... How long before one can have 'physical' relationship with spouse?

4. Where can i find of list of things I will need to have ready at home for after the surgery?

5. Where or what kind of food/liquids will I be able to have after surgery?

I have been reading and gathering information on the Lap-Band for over a year and now that I'm actually scheduled for surgery, I feel like I don't know anything!

Sorry to keep ranting... I guess I just need some reassuring that I'm on the right track for preparing myself for June 6th!

Thank You!

~Marie~

Hello Fellow June Bandsters!

I feel like I have 100 questions and thoughts going through my mind right now. First of all, I will be banded by Dr. Garth Davis on June 6th. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Here's a list of the some of the questions I'm hoping to get some answers/comments for:

1. Where can I find Protein shakes/drink options? I have no ideal where to begin. :confused2:

If you like the chocolate/milky shakes then I know a lot of people have done muscle milk, low carb slim fast (they have the highest Protein of any of the slim fast), powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury (must order from internet). If you don't like the milky shakes I used Isopure. It is a fruity tasting drink but beware...don't let it get warm or it will form floaties and be prepared for it to dry your tongue out a bit. I think GNC is a good place to start. Get a few samples NOW as you are not going to want to be drinking something that makes your stomach do flips after surgery.

2. What should I tell people (that don't know I'm having the surgery) to explain the sudden weight loss and the 'no eating' like normal? :confused2:

I told everyone about the surgery...waitresses, students, fellow teachers, my administration, everyone. It is what has kept me accountable. Believe me when you have 35+ students watching you eat a snack you certainly are not going to be eating candy! If you don't want to tell people, just say that you are cutting portions, eating the right foods, and working out. All of which HAS TO be true if you want the lab-band to be successful.

3. Embarrassing question :biggrin: ... How long before one can have 'physical' relationship with spouse?

I stayed with my brother for 2 weeks after surgery while my DH was at home working, so I waited at least 2 weeks. I think it will depend on your pain. For me the port was the sorest, so I just told him he had to be careful.

4. Where can i find of list of things I will need to have ready at home for after the surgery?

I didn't find that I really needed anything specific. Have some slippers, loose clothing, and the food that you are going to need to eat/drink. However, speaking from experience...you don't need 20 cans of Tomato Soup...you will never eat that much! Just have the right foods there so that when you do need something you are WAY less tempted to have something that you have to chew. PLEASE FOLLOW YOUR DOC'S INSTRUCTIONS!

5. Where or what kind of food/liquids will I be able to have after surgery?

No one can answer this except your doc. Make sure you get a list of acceptable foods. You will find that a lot of people had VERY different post-op diets, but it is CRITICAL that you follow your doc's advice as it often has to do with technique and experience on his/her part.

I have been reading and gathering information on the Lap-Band for over a year and now that I'm actually scheduled for surgery, I feel like I don't know anything!

Sorry to keep ranting... I guess I just need some reassuring that I'm on the right track for preparing myself for June 6th!

Thank You!

~Marie~

Hope you don't mind me butting in from another month, but there are a few things that I might be able to help with. You will see my answers under your questions. Hope this helped. And welcome to the land of bandhood. The greatest place EVER!

Hi there!

I know what you mean about the questions. It seems like the more I get answered the more further questions I have. :thumbup:

I'm not having surgery until June 4th, but I'll share some things I've found.

Reply to your questions:

1. The place I've found with the most selection is Rite Aid. They also have a site online, www.drugstore.com . I've heard that the "best" ones are ProPerformace 100% whey... and to mix them with milk instead of Water and if you plan your calories right, 2 scoops of power tastes better than 1. I haven't tried them yet, I'm going to get some this week and give them a try. I heard the chocolate Caramel is delicious. I've also heard that Walmart has some Protein powders that are less expensive, but a toss up with taste quality.

2. Tell them the truth. The truth being, you are eating smaller portions and exercising more. That's my plan. :)

3. :biggrin: I don't know. I'm assuming everyone recovers at a different pace. Probably just take it easy, no hanging upside down from the chandeliers the night you come home.

4. Here's a thread for some ideas:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f84/stuff-you-need-home-58577/

5. Ask your doctor for certain, but here is what mine sends out: (link to thread with scanned post-op sheet)

A Copy of Dr. Miranda's Post Op Guidelines - Lap Band Forum - Lap Band Surgery, Dr. Ariel Ortiz, Lap Band in Mexico

I hope this helps!!

Your weight loss probably won't be all that "sudden" -- you'll average 1-2 lbs a week, and depending on how heavy you are, people don't even notice for awhile.

Then when they do, you can either choose to tell them about the surgery or not. I don't. Not because it's a big secret but because it's my own business. Nobody has asked me outright if I've had surgery; if they did I'd tell them about it. And nobody morbidly obese has asked me what I'm doing to lose weight, or I'd probably tell them since it's potentially life-changing information.

The info about what to eat post-op you should get from your doctor. You don't have to do Protein shakes after surgery unless that's what your doctor directs you to do; cream Soups, broth, milk, juice, and other liquids work fine.

When I've irritated my band and need to rest it for a meal or for a day, I like the Kashi Go Lean chocolate shake Mix. I add a cup of milk and a banana for a delicious meal. While it does have 29g of Protein (after adding the cup of milk), this also has plenty of carbs and Fiber too, as well as needed Vitamins. Did I mention how yummy it is? Like drinking a chocolate milkshake. I haven't tried the vanilla.