Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Side pain...looking for input

Annabella, that is interesting to hear about the diverticulosis. I hope all of the tests go well. Speedy recovery wishes to your friends husband. My husband had diverticulitis in his early 20s and had a colon resection. The condition of having the divertiula (bulging pouches in weak spots of intestine/colon) is diverticulosis. When they become inflamed the condition is diverticulitis. Together they are diverticular disease. I know that they can cause severe pain, especially on the left side. My husbands dr told him about high Fiber as well. Also to avoid nuts, seeds, high fats and alcohol as these things can intensify the case. The nuts and seeds can get stuck in the pouches and then get infected. Anyway, it is weird that so many banded patients are having this left side pain. I'm hoping the simple laparoscopy that's scheduled for next Wed. will solve the pain issue. If it's as simple as just moving the tubing over, thank goodness! KIT with the results of your tests.

thanks for the info Jewlzmarie! Its sounding more and more like my diverticulosis. But it just doesn't make sense b/c of everyone else. How is your husband today? I was told that seeds and nuts can be problem foods.

I had my cat scan. The girl said here are 3-12oz glasses of Water with dye. I need you to drink them in 20min. I was like, UMMMM that's not going to happen. I explained my restriction and she said to drink as much as I could. I managed to get 2 of those glasses down in 35 min. Then another nurse told me to drink the last one. I said no I can't. She said a few more swallows. I said no, you don't understand. Iam already on the verge of getting sick. If I throw up I could ruin my whole band. NO! They got the IV hooked up and the tests took about 20 minutes. They said the results should be back within a few days. I will call my gastro on tues to see if he has anything to say? My colonoscopy isn't till the 2nd. I will KIT.

YOU keep us informed on your surgery to move your tubing. It will interesting to see if this helps you? Then I guess we'll all know what it is if it helps YOU! Is your surgery this coming wed or the next?

Hi Annabella,

Today, my husband is fantastic! He has had zero issues since his surgery 4 years ago! What a tremendous relief!

I don't understand why the radiologist's can't understand our restrictions.:confused2: I had the same issue with my Upper GI last week. The Dr. standing next to the x ray machine kept telling me to take bigger sips. I explained that I couldn't take the huge gulp he wanted me to because it would bounce right back up! Sheesh! I'm glad you got the CT scan done without being sick! Good luck with the results, I read that you were most likely getting them today! I hope that it gives you some answers. It seems that a lot of times with tests, not much is found out.

My surgery is tomorrow 8-13. I will keep my results up to date... after the anesthesia wears off :D. Ha!

Good luck tomorrow Jewlzmarie. Let us know how it goes. My cat scan results are in and normal. I have to proceed with my scheduled colonoscopy on the 2nd. Your right, nothing will prob show up to explain the pain?

It has eased up but its still there. Not sure why people don't get it? If you can't gulp and drink fast you simply can't??!!

Iam glad to hear your husband is doing so well. I want this new Dr to update me on my diverticulosis. So Iam done with testing till the 2nd.

Keep us posted.

There are so many banders with left side pain. I googled it and was floored there has to be something more to this and we are not being told. Do you think? Why wouldn't there be an awser? I was told by one office to go to the emergency room and have exploratory surgery. What is up with that? Where are bands usually located. Aren't they where the large port is? I have not idea where mine is if it is not there. I go for a fill tomorrow I will discuss the left side pain and let every one know.

Hey everyone.. I'm having that left sided pain, too. It's also a little tender where my port is on my right side. It's not a horrible pain and it doesn't radiate to my back or anything, but I have an appointment with my surgeon this afternoon to have it checked out. I've had the pain off an on for the last couple of days and it's mostly just annoying, like a side pain you get from running. It doesn't intensify with deep breaths or stretching, either. I'm hoping it's nothing major and it's as simple as an OTC solution, but we'll see.

well I started with a mild (what i thought was gas and told by my surgeon that it was constipation) pain. The next day got worse and Monday was awful. I went to my ppo he said that he wasn't sure what I had they did 2 cat scans with and with out contrast and came to the conclusion I have diverticulitis I just was released from the hospital today still in some what of pain and taking things a daya at a time surgery was July 31st... Thinking it may be time to re think my lap band..

I was just diagnosed with diverticulitis on Wed. I have been having cramps that would double me over and just about knock me off my feet. This past Wed. the pain was so bad that I was fainting from it. Was diagnosed with it, given 2 antibiotics, and have to have a colonoscopy when I'm done with the meds. Is diverticulitis common with lap bands?

I don't think its common with bands. The band may make it worse or flare up? NOT sure about that either. I do know that most people will end up with Diverticulosis before they die. MOST people don't know they even have it till they have a test done due to some other symptom. I was diagnosed with a moderate case of it in 2002 during a colonoscopy. I was not told about it till this yr by a new Dr looking at my chart! I will have another colonoscopy on the 2nd. We'll see how that goes and if that explains my left side pain?

I started having left side pain,too. I was banded 08/06 and was doing well until about 2 months ago. I found out my tubing had been punctured and had port and tubing replaced Aug 12. Went in Monday and had a fill and had good restriction. Last night had an episode of pb'ing and felt something "pinch" or "move" (hard to describe) on the left side, right at the bottom of my rib cage, it wasn't a big pb but I'm worried about a slip now. Could the new tubing be pinching? I'm afraid to call the Dr. after going through the whole leak thing - It took 6 weeks to figure that out and I don't need another problem and another hospital bill. I'm kind of sore right now - not bad just a little uncomfortable. Any one else ever feel this? I haven't in the 2 years I've had my band.

I was banded September 07 and a few months ago I started having pain on my left side as well. The pain is in my rib cage area. It can best be described as a cramp that you might have when running or exercising, but it doesn't go away for hours. My doctor says it's most likely the tubing that attaches the port to the band. On my xray, you can see the tube right in this area. I was told the pain likely comes from the tubing pressing up against the diaphragm which explains the cramp like feeling that worsens/sharpens with deep breaths. I'm scheduled for a laparoscopy next week in which he will move the tubing. Hopefully this works for relief! I hope everyone else having the infamous "left sided pain" has relief as well!:thumbup:<-----this is the "hopeful" face!

OMG! THis is ME! I put a call into the doc over an hour ago. If he has to go back in, I will scream!

<HR style="COLOR: #d9d9d9; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d9d9d9" SIZE=1>In reference to my prior post... I had a laparoscopy to move my tubing which was causing me pain on my left side under my ribcage. Everything went well. The dr shortened the tubing and secured it to my abdominal wall to avoid shifting. My pain is now back, but in a different area. I had an xray and found out that the pain is in the exact new location of the tubing. My dr said my only other option at this point would be to remove the band and tubing completely and replace it with a different type of band with a softer tubing. The problem with this is that insurance may not cover this. I was curious as to what type of band all of the left sided pain patients had. If you know, maybe we can make a correlation between type and pain? Also, I asked my dr. if this left sided pain and "feeling the turbing" is common and he told me that it was not and that only about 1 in 1,000 patients will feel their tubing. After ready all of these posts, I'm beginning to think it's more common!

I got some advice from my doctor's office to try Gas X. I used that and a stool softner like Senekot. My left side pain soon went away. Every once in awhile I get it but it is so much better. good luck every one I hope you try what I suggest and maybe it will work for you.