Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Less than a month away! Thoughts,feelings, pre op?

Hi Everyone!

For many of us, our surgery countdowns are less than a month away!! :biggrin2: Anyone else scared? What does everyone's pre-op work look like? How is everyone preparing for the big day?

My doctor didn't give me a pre diet to follow or anything. I'm really getting nervous about it, not only of the surgery but also with what comes after the surgery.

I don't have a date yet, but do have approval and am anticipating surgery in June. I have to admit, I am a bit nervous. Once again I am dealing with my fear of failure, which I thought was gone. I'm sure that is probably at least partially because I had been dieting, lost 10 pounds, then just completely caved about 2 weeks ago. I am trying to get back on track, but it isn't as easy as it was the first time. I will have to do a two week high-protein, low carb diet pre-op amd some blood work.

Good luck to you!

In exactly a month from today I will be having my consultation with my surgeon. After that I am to go to the surgery center for my pre-op which will be bloodwork and a chest x-ray. That is also the day that I begin my pre-surgery liquid diet.

I really haven't felt any fear yet, which means the reality of it all probably hasn't hit. I've never had ANY kind of surgery at all, so maybe my lack of knowledge is helping me not to fret. Also, my friend had the surgery on April 15th so I've heard lots of information from her.

Reality is definitely setting in. Right now I am a little panicked because I haven't found a Protein shake that doesn't make me sick to my stomach. Am going to check out Walgreens tomorrow. We are taking a 10 day trip the end of this month so I feel like I only have about 10 days to get my stuff ready for the hospital and then coming home. Without this website, I don't know what I would have done. The lists of things to have on hand have been great. Same with the recipes, etc and just the experiences everyone has. There is so much I would not know if I hadn't spent time here.

I am so glad we have our group. It will be so helpful to hear from everyone as we go through this! My thoughts and prayers to all you!!:)

I think I was fine until I looked at the date this morning. I am getting banded in a month from yesterday. So when I realized I am less than a month from my band, it kindof scared me. I've been trying to read up on what to expect and what to keep on hand and such. I've made lists and tried to prepare but the nerves all of a sudden have hit. And it's not so much nerves of the actual surgery. I probably should be nervous about that but I'm not. I'm more scared of afterwards.

The "what-ifs" are now starting to penetrate my brain. What if I die of starvation after the surgery the month before I can eat actual food again? What if my port pops out of my skin? What if I hate it? And the biggest scare for me, What if it doesn't work? I realize some of these are completely irrational, but still... :)

Don't worry Rea Rea, I didn't have any surgery prior to this one either but it was all over before I knew it. I had no pain to speak of & felt great after about 10 days. The clear liquid diet wasn't much fun but it was a lot better once I started on mushies. Just hang in there it's not going to be nearly as bad as you think.

I'm getting banded June 4th. I'm a little nervous, because it's the first time I've had surgery.

I'm not too nervous about the pre-op stuff - I've found several Protein shakes/drinks I like, I'm stocking the pantry and freezer with both band friendly items and dinners for the family. I started eating with a tiny fork.

The only snafu I've had is that today I fell face first into a bag full of Jelly Bellies! Happily they're gone now, and I won't buy more.

I resolve to start getting on the treadmill as of tomorrow morning!

Back on track! Tomorrow I'm going to start shakes plus a lean cuisine a day (voluntarily). I have to go to liquids only on the 28th. I imagine I'm dropping to Clear Liquids only on the 1st or so, NPO on the 3rd.

Here's to the new me!

Always ;-)

Hunzi

:wink:Hi Everyone:

I am very excited! My surgery is to be 3 weeks from today! I have a bit of a road block with a new problem with blood pressure and my heart, I pray it is nothing. They are looking at test today to rule out congestive heart failure. :thumbup: But I feel certain it is a fluke! I am on lasix to help with the Fluid, but they are not going to put me on blood pressure meds now, because my bp is normal, it was only up for a short time, but the fluid is not going away.. I still think it will work out fine and I will get banded on the 6th:thumbup:

ANYWAY... back to the subject at hand, Cadets, I wanted to tell you how I fix my Protein Shakes. I got a small drink blender from Target, 19.95, it is used for frozen drinks. I put a half cup of ice and then either Water or milk (or in my case soy milk) and make a really cold, icy milk shake. It is wonderful! :thumbup: I like muscle milk brand, chocolate is my favorite. I get it at GNC. I have also tried the shots of Liquid Protein, CNP ProSlam has 45 grams of Protein and they are ok Will be good right after surgery.:thumbup:

I will be interested in hearing whaat you all have to say about diets and progress. This support group is VERY IMPORTANT to me!:thumbup:

CathyChatts,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing your Protein shake recipe(s). This has been the one thing I have really struggled with. Hoope your cardiac exams come out okay!! Let us know.

I don't have a pre-op diet, either. Just Clear Liquids the day before. I think all my pre-op testing was fine because he wasn't worried about me shrinking my liver ahead of time. I'm nervous as should be normal but more excited about the ability to be a normal (notice I don't say SKINNY) weight again. Just want to be healthy for my family and myself! I'm sure it will hit me when I get the week before the surgery.

Hi Everyone!

First post :cool2:

I am having surgery 6/13 in Houston. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO excited I am not even scared. It's been a long long road with jumping through all the hoops but got approved 1st submission! I want to lose 100 pounds.

My big fear is it not working. But other than that I am ok. Once they get the IV in I am ok with all the medical stuff. Luckily I made all my sons baby food so I am quite the expert at purees and softfoods :lol!

Weeeeee can't wait. Pre-op appt on the 29th, starting liquid diet June 1st. Turning 35 June 7th (not going to lie to you, might have a birthday meal and drink) and then the following Friday.....

This will be like a due date club on a birthing board teehee!

j.

The only thing I'm really scared about is being put under for the surgery. The surgery itself doesn't scare me, and I'm not worried that the band won't work because I have the power to make it work, so mostly I'm just really excited! I can't wait to get this extra weight off and to be able to wear normal sizes again, and I want to be a runner and run two or three mile everyday....I have so many plans and I absolutely can't wait to get started! Plus, my husband told me that when I lose a hundred pounds he'll take me and our daughter on a trip to Disneyland.......and I'll be able to wear them ragged instead of the other way around!

My pre-op tests are scheduled for May 30, I have to do a two week liquid diet and that's it. Yay!!!!

Most teachers count down the last month of school - in 13 years of teaching, I have not done so. I mean - I love school! - I am crazy, but I have been this way since I was 6yo.. That being said - I am counting down the days till my wls - 17 days till the newest chapter/season/act of my life begins! :biggrin2:

I have a month and 2 days to go and I am both excited and nervous. Tomorrow I am going to make a grocery list of anything I need for the 2 weeks after surgery. I have done my blood work and my upper GI and I'm on a 1200 calorie preop diet. I've found that it helps me to mark on the calendar when I've eaten the correct Breakfast lunch and dinner. Today I get to add a smiley face for exercise. I have a feeling that the days when I have 3 checkmarks and a smiley are the days that will get me thinner!! Thanks for starting this conversation. I am grateful for the support.

Now that surgery is actually getting closer, I'm starting to get nervous. Not about the surgery itself, but because I'm actually going through with it--and the fear that even after all of this, it still might not work.