Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Less than a month away! Thoughts,feelings, pre op?

I have heard too many success stories to doubt that I will get results. I just need to follow the "rules" and the weight will come off. I am a little sceptical that I will reach the weight my surgeon says is possible (165) but anything under 200 is fine by me!! You will be a success story too, if you do everything they tell you to do, especially some exercise!

OMGosh..I am feeling so nervous...I can actually count on my hands until I leave to go...that is freaking me out. I am so excited and NERVOUS...not knowing the changes I will face and my issues with food and how with a family of 6 I am going to be able to maintain and cook for them and myself...and make the changes. What if I am that one in a 100 that it doesn't work on..our mind playes CRUEL tricks on us and our perception of how it will be. I guess since I have failed at every other diet or attempt to lose weight I feel the odds are stacked against me in my UPHILL battle to fight this weightloss. CALGON TAKE ME AWAY is what I am thinking about now. My hubby got me a massage for xmas and I haven't used it uet..but it expires the end of June....so I have to get it before I get the band because I know I won't be able to lay down flat and get rubbed like I am suppose to....I am even stressed about that........oh goodness. I think I need to just stop and breath... Does anyone know how long before you can swim. We have a pool and the kids and I usually spend a lot of time in it and I was just wondering also how long you have to wait? Thanks Junsters...ready or not here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin2:

I think I am feeling a little of everything mentioned here. Funny how before I got a date, I wasn't the least bit nervous about it, but having that date, makes it more real I suppose. I got my date at my consult appt. with my surgeon on May 14th (my surgery date is June 12th) but I left on vacation on May 17th so I just put it out of my mind while away. I got home last night, I went promptly into the chat room about and someone right away mentioned a post somewhere on these boards (haven't looked for it) that scared me to something silly and I have been freaking out since. (it might not even be band related). Not sure what the motive was of mentioning that to someone pre op was, but since then I have been freaking out. I feel I have researched the risks, I have chosen a dr. who does a lot of pre op testing to look for any possible risks and complications so felt good about going into this, I wasn't going into it blind, but now I just can't shake this since the comments in chat last night. My husband has told me to just stay away from there til after the surgery, but it has been so helpful and supportive til now too. I think what it boils down to is this is more or less an elective procedure since I chose to have it done, it's not like I must have a tumor removed or something like that and the decision is made for me. But in reality, I need to have this done. This weight is affecting my health and well being just like another life threatening condition might.

Besides that I was feeling great and excited about it. Did have some fears of failure that Kathy mentioned, but know if I use the tool the way it is designed to be used I will succeed. The only other thing that concerns me is other people's comments (I've not told many folks yet and have a very negative mother) and I let other people's comments affect me too much, something I need to work on definitely.

CathyChatts, how did the heart test turn out? The dr. that did my EKG saw something he didn't like and I am having some type of stress test with IV on Thurs. to be sure, he's 99% sure everything will be fine but needs to be sure. Now I am stressed about the stress test, how ironic is that?

Edited by Great2BThin
to tone it down as I may have vented too much OOPS sorry, didn't want to freak anyone else out

Thanks to all of you who have asked about my test for the heart. All the test came out normal! We still don't know what caused the Fluid build up, but they don't think it was my heart. I still think it was from steroids they gave me on 3 different occasions over the past year, plus an antibiotic I took and had a reaction to.

I have been reading all the post and it seems you are all having the same feelings. I was in a bathing suit today, :ciappa:at my sister's pool (no one there but us) and I imagined what it will be like to feel comfortable in a swimsuit with other people around. Rignt now I look about 8 months pregnant and my thighs look like cottage cheese!

I have lost weight in the past, but always gained it back and never very much! I can't believe I have a real shot at being slim and staying there! I don't want to loose too much weight, :coolgleamA:as I am older, and don't have wrinkles now, so I don't want to look older! I will have plastic surgery if I need it... Now isn't that vain.:thumbup: But I figure if I am going to go through surgery and change my eating habits forever, then I will deserve the surgery. I have had my eyelids done alreay and it really makes a difference.

OMG! I am really opening up here! Join right in! We will be Band Sisters! :clap:and maybe a Band Brother or two! :D

Edited by cathychatts

Good for you, Cathy!!! You do deserve to feel as good about yourself as possible. I personally can't wait to lose the weight so I can get plastic surgery and esp SMALLER B**BS!:) I want to go to the neighborhood pool with my kids but just cannot face being in a bathing suit around all my neighbors. It's not like a vacation where you hate how you look, but know that you'll never see these people again. I'll see them everyday. :sad: So, I keep daydreaming about next summer (or even in a few months) and how different my outlook and self confidence will be.

So glad to hear about your heart test!

After my first post on the boards everyday, I look at my ticker and watch the countdown move closeer and closer to my date. That gets me excited everyday. I am still nervous that I may be one of those failure stories, but I am praying not and really getting psyched about surgery. A little over 3 weeks now!!

I am already feeling like I am failing. Today was day one on my high protein/low carb diet. Did fine this am had my shake then I couldn't even stick to that...had some smoked ribs for my lunch that I smoked from yesterday..no BBQ Sauce on it---thinking that was better then anything else..since it is after all protein....right? But then I had 6 cheese-its and 3 puff cheetos from my kids plate as well. How am I ever gonna do this for 10 days when I can't even do it for one day......What have I gotten into? How in the world did anyone do this.....I want this more then anything so why in the world can I not get a grip on this....how in the world did I get to this point????

After my first post on the boards everyday, I look at my ticker and watch the countdown move closeer and closer to my date. That gets me excited everyday. I am still nervous that I may be one of those failure stories, but I am praying not and really getting psyched about surgery. A little over 3 weeks now!!

Well Kathy, I have the exact same fears. Maybe we can be buddies and hold each other's hand as we go through this together. It helps just knowing I am not alone in my thoughts and fears. Maybe this too shall pass.

Hang in there, jkpenney! :unsure: I haven't started my pre-op diet, but I know it's going to be tough. I also know that when you slide, you just have to get back on the straight and narrow path. Don't beat yourself up -- if it was easy we wouldn't be getting the band.

Good luck to you for the next few days. I hope you do better tomorrow.

I am already feeling like I am failing. Today was day one on my high protein/low carb diet. Did fine this am had my shake then I couldn't even stick to that...had some smoked ribs for my lunch that I smoked from yesterday..no BBQ Sauce on it---thinking that was better then anything else..since it is after all Protein....right? But then I had 6 cheese-its and 3 puff cheetos from my kids plate as well. How am I ever gonna do this for 10 days when I can't even do it for one day......What have I gotten into? How in the world did anyone do this.....I want this more then anything so why in the world can I not get a grip on this....how in the world did I get to this point????

I have to do the low carb, high Protein diet too, but don't start until 6/4. I have been trying to start early so I might show a little weightloss when I go for pre-op, but no luck in sticking to it for me either. I don't know how people who do all liquids for 2 weeks make it!

Just hang in there and try to do better everyday. Don't beat yourself up because there is nothing you can do about what you have already done now. You can do this!!!!! Hang in there! :)

Well Kathy, I have the exact same fears. Maybe we can be buddies and hold each other's hand as we go through this together. It helps just knowing I am not alone in my thoughts and fears. Maybe this too shall pass.

Isn't it funny how there are hundreds of people who post success stories here everyday, but those few who haven't been as successful are the ones who stick out in your mind as your date draws closer? You are definitely not alone in your fears of adding to those stories. I have all of these dreams of things I want to do as the "thin me", but fear I may never get to. 3 weeks and 1 day until surgery for me!

The liquid diet gets easier...

I started a week before with 2 shakes and a south beach dinner so that I would not go cold turkey with not eating...

I slipped the first day too and beat myself up so badly it hasn't even crossed my mind again... even went to movies over the weekend and wasn't even tempted with the popcorn.< /p>

I am allowed scrambled eggs, SF/FF pudding and FF cottage cheese though so its making it easier... what makes me nervous is the New York field trip... Going to take nothing but Atkins shakes (as per dr) and that's all I'll have for those days but we will be away from the hotel for the whole day so getting all my calories and Protein in those days will be the challenge... but I'll be BUSY and the days will go faster!!

I am starting to think I am going to wake up in recovery wondering if it's really real :)

I will admit I am very worried about the two weeks of shakes. My big challenges will be, well all day and all night!! Seriously the big challenge will be when I first get home and make my son dinner. I give him v. healthy all organic stuff, but it is still stuff I like to eat like Pasta, rice, potatoes, and bits of chicken or fish disguised to get a toddler to eat it.

And of course the bigger challenge and I don't know what the hell this is all about, but waking up hungry at 2:00 a.m., snacking and surfing the net. I seriously need to be locked in my room or something. Or drugged. LOL can you imagine calling up the surgeon and asking for sleeping pills to keep me from night snacking! Am I a loser or what :sad:

And I am scared of pain. Oh and general anethesia. I haven't been under since I had my tonsils out when I was 4.

Anyway I could go on and on, but it's dinner time.

We can do it !

Me too Jkpenny! :sad: I was doing so good on my low carb diet and then after class tonight, I made the choice to go to Fatz :sad_smile:and get an order of Sullivan's Island shrimp cakes and there were two small bread rolls and hen I had a piece of banana bread! :eek: I am so weak, the least little thing and I eat. I gotta stop this! Glad to know I am not the only one having trouble with the willpower. I will do better tomorrow!:lol:

:bored:Oh my gosh trust me if I had willpower I wouldn't be a size 22/24....now would I? :eek: My problem is I am a picky eater:thumbdown:...and....if I can't have the real thing I don't want it....for instance... Ranch Dressing:drool:...I can drink the stuff..if it is the homemade stuff..but the bottle brand......YUCK...can only tolerate the least amount I have to to get that salad down...so common sense would say don't get the good stuff so I don't eat so much..but NO NO NO..not how my brain works.....if I want it I want the real deal....and apparently what Kelly wants she gets:wink_smile:...and my size proves it. I have never really looked at how much I ate. I was in denial...getting the extra burger to eat before we went somewhere so someone didn't see how much I was eating. I am fearful that those same behaviors will continue...but I know I can only control right here and right NOW..and that's all I will do. I have to admit I love food...and when I can't have it I am CRANKY:cursing: to say the least..and I have never really taken the time to really notice that...how much food has controlled me. Always thinking about the next meal, or where we are going to eat, or new recipes...I mean it can consume you....and it has. I hate that hungry feeling...therefore I don't let myself feel it.:sad: I want so bad to be able to succeed at this without having the band, but that's not possible with my personality apparently. I am scared to think that if something happens how senseless it would have been that I couldn't get it under control w/out the help of the band...and how selfish I would have been...but on the same token I know if I don't do something and soon...I will continue to get bigger and more unhappier and my health will going down the tubes....so I know something has to give and be done....I have been through numerous abdominal surgeries...3 c-sections and hysterctomy..so that part doesn't scare me...I can deal w/the pain..I just am hoping my surgeo had his coffee that morning and the anest. doesn't go to sleep:closedeyes:I know it will all work out..and I know this is just my mental moment before the storm....so watch out Hurricane Katrina you aint seen nothing yet...I am coming with both barrells loaded it seems. I can't believe that I can count on two hands till my band date.