Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Second Thoughts - Need Advice

I am scheduled for surgery on May 19. I am for it and then I change my mind. I think "why can't I try WW once again and really work at it?" I have been a member on and off of WW since 2000. I lost 75 lbs and ended up gaining it all back, plus some. I think I need something that says "hey - stop eating - you have had enough." I could use some wise words of wisdom and advice from those that have done through this. Thanks!:lol:

you know what's funny? I didn't have those thoughts until after the surgery. I now know why surgeons make you have a psych eval before having this surgery. I wanted to lose weight so bad that I jumped the gun and applied for it on monday was approved 7 days later and then had surgery 9 days later.

I Was fine until I woke up from surgery a swollen and gassy. I was cursing my decision until a few days passed when I realized everyday it got better and it made me look forward to the next day.

You'll probably think the same thing I did right after surgery but believe me it will pass!

I am scheduled for surgery on May 19. I am for it and then I change my mind. I think "why can't I try WW once again and really work at it?" I have been a member on and off of WW since 2000. I lost 75 lbs and ended up gaining it all back, plus some. I think I need something that says "hey - stop eating - you have had enough." I could use some wise words of wisdom and advice from those that have done through this. Thanks!:lol:

I think the something that you are looking for that says, "hey - stop eating - you have had enough" is the lap-band. At least that is what I am hoping for as well. I, too, am scheduled for 5/19. Best of luck to both of us!!

Having second thoughts is perfectly natural, of course. And there's still time to change your mind. Perhaps making a list of pros & cons again will help you decide. If the pros win, then just push through your fear and keep putting one foot in front of the other until it's done. As with boredyru (above), rest assured you will go thru a period of "What the hell have i done to myself??" right after surgery as well. Knowing this going in will help.

Look at the hundreds and hundreds of users here that all say I LOVE MY BAND!!!.... Hmmm. I wonder why they say that???

I too and scheduled for 5/19 and today is my first day on the 10 day liquid diet, and I have questioned this decision for the past few weeks, but I know its something that needs to be done for my health I have twin grand sons and I want to be around to see them grow they are only 18 months old. No food is going to taste as good as healthy feels - you can do this.

Hugs and the best to everyone.:biggrin2:

I am scheduled for surgery on May 22.

I have the EXACT same misgivings every 15 minutes or so. Just last night, I asked myself the same questions about going back to WW. I have had success int eh past : lose 30 , gain 40, lose 20, gain 25. Yo Yo.

My biggest fear is that I will spend all this money (I am paying out of pocket because the wait time for covered band surgery is a minimum of 5 years where I live) and it won`t work, or that I will fail. My husband is alos quick to remind me that it`s a lot of money. he thinks I need to eat less and move more, which is also true. But I NEED HELP.

The way I look at it is I am worth giving this my best shot. I have read so many success stories but I am also aware of the work I will need to do to succeed. I read a post by a doctor on one of these boards who said that the various weight loss programs out there are all very good if you have 20 or 30 pounds to lose. When you get into the 100s, you are dealing with a condition and you need help. That`s what I think the band will do, HELP ME.

Hang in there.

Christine

Tried weight watchers, lost weight and gained it back...trust me, everybody who has been banded has a similar story - that is why we decided to band !! And the overwhelming majority of us are thrilled with this tool.

Just a note to everyone who is having second thoughts about the band and trying WW... You can couple the two and make them both work for you. WW does help with counting points and such and the band helps you know when to stop eating.

Thank you to all who have responded thus far. Hearing testimonials helps a ton. I will keep putting one foot in front of the other and do my best. I want to be around a long time to see my son grow up.

I was banded yesterday.

I chose to be banded because I can lose weight on diets like CRAZY... and gain it back in triplicate. But in all honesty, what is the point of a DIET. To lose the weight just so when you go off the DIET you can gain it back? This is a life style change, no DIET anymore, just Portion Control and reasonable food choices. It's been 24 hours and through all the soreness and gas pain, I still LOVE my band.

Good luck on your choice.

This is extremely common as the surgery date approaches -- almost every day someone posts something similar. So don't worry, it's natural to second guess or get cold feet. This is a big life change.

Don't let the fear stop you from going through with it. Even if you go through a short phase after surgery of "what the heck have I done to myself" (also normal!) you'll soon be on your feet with your weight dropping and feeling great. :lol:

If you don't already have one, make your comprehensive list of reasons why you want to lose weight and read it through every day to remind yourself.