Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any lower BMI experience with fills?

Hi!

I was banded on March 2nd 2005. I have done pretty well so far, I started out at 185 and am now at 169. I had my first fill last Wed. (6 days ago) without flouro. In the few weeks before the fill I could eat anything I wanted. I did fine and felt restriction for the 1st 3 or 4 days after my fill, but sure enough yesterday and today I'm back to being able to eat like pre-band times!! He put 1.6cc's in my 4cc band, and said that should give me good restriction for a few months!! Needless to say I'm bummed about it being only a few days and I feel like its gone. I'm wondering since Im a lower BMI patient if I should expect to not feel the restriction as much as others?? I know my weight loss has been good up to this point and I shouldnt complain, but I've had to use as much willpower as before the band.....

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Monica

I guess I qualify as a lower BMI patient. My BMI was 37.7--something like that. (I paid for the surgery myself. My insurance company requires a 40 BMI). I think everyone is just different, and also surgeons are different, and the brands and sizes of lap bands are different. I had my Inamed lapband put on in Mexico and they give you no restriction at first. It's one month later and I'm still not ready for one. There is no way on earth I could eat a large meal now. The largest meal I've had to date--want to hear this? :) Went to Jack in the Box. Got their Southwest chicken pita--yum, has moist chicken, black Beans, corn, spices. I ate about half of it. I also had a craving for a shake. Got a SMALL chocolate shake--only had maybe 1/5 of it, and saved the rest in the freezer to try again 5 hours later or so. That's it--my biggest meal so far. I really am eating more "by the book" most days. High Protein, some yogurt, some soy Protein Powder blended shakes with frozen fruit, sipping Water all day (that's hard--I'd love to just gulp water), taking chewable Centrum Vitamins and Viactiv carmels for my Calcium, small portions of moist meats and chew, chew, chew. I'm a little puzzled by your story since just the band itself, with no fill, should give some restriction. But hey--some of us have more fat right in the area where banded, and when we lose fat in that particular area we'll feel less restriction. What brand is your band?

Hi Monica -

Your initial restriction from your fill was undoubtedly due to your stomach swelling after the adjustment. I would give it a few weeks to settle in before you decide this current fill is too little - you will probably find (like most of us) that your restriction can vary from day to day, and you may feel wide open one day and slammed shut the next.

My fills didn't really kick in until 4-6 weeks afterwards (no idea why).

I am not a lower BMI patient, but fills seem to be fills. Your fill level may tend to be a little higher than higher BMI patients (at first, anyway), but that would most likely be due to less fat around your stomach.

So the real answer is - this is not happening to you because you are a low BMI patient. This is a typical response to fills.

I am/was a BMI of 33.7. I can tell you that my doctor has told me that on lower BMI patients the band is not as naturally "tighter" on lower BMI patients. The band I get is the same as if I would have weighed 500 lbs rather than 220. He warned me I wouldn't have as much restriction as someone who is a higher BMI just because our stomachs aren't as big to begin with. He definitely said I would feel like I need a fill in the 6 weeks and I made my appointment for a fill before I even had surgery. And sure enough, I am now 3 weeks post op and I can eat ANYTHING I want. I surely don't eat a TON but I CAN eat WAY more than just a few ounces. I am counting the days until my fill on May 7th.

He also explained to me that lower BMI patients are "starting" where a larger BMI patient would be in the "middle" of their weight loss. Larger BMI patients will lose their weight rapidly at first, then slow down a lot in the middle. Since we are starting in what would be the "middle" so our weight loss is going to be a lot slower. (for example, a person weighing 380 may lose 60 lbs their first 2 months whereas a lower BMI patient will lose maybe 30 in 2 months as being normal). A higher BMI patient will see the VISUAL results a lot sooner whereas the lower BMI patient has more subtle results that are not visually as dramatic. But in the end of things, we will all look great and lose the weight we want to. Make sense?

I think some patients feel "restriction" without a fill. I am just unlucky enough to not be one of them. I do think it has to do with the size of your stomach when they insert the band and the amount of fat you carry around that particular organ.

But then again, I already knew I was a "super healer" and will heal VERY fast. I knew my swelling would go down quick. I even had surgery on Wed and was back to work on Monday. So by the second week I was completely misreble and could have eaten a horse! I was about to gnaw off my own arm! And I even looked at my husband strangely sometimes I think. ;)

Monica, my frist fill took a week for me to notice a difference. My second fill was instant and my third fill is fickle, somedays I have too much restriction and other days I have zero restriction, on the days with zero restriction I try and work with my band and my head has to do lots of the work. Let's hope you notice a difference after a few more days. Good Luck

Thanks for all the feedback. It's amazing how different everyone reacts! How long should I wait before going back to get a touch more? Today is the one week mark since my fill and I really don't feel a thing. I lost 3 pounds really quick the few days after my fill but am sure I'm well on my way to gaining that back now that I can eat and eat.... I'm trying to make the best choices, but since I'm not full it's hard to do (exactly what started this rollercoaster in the first place!) Maybe I should wait a week more and then make an appt. for a bit more. I have visions of being the first person who gets a complete fill up of 4cc's and can still eat like a horse......

Monica

Guest newleaseonlife

I plan to get banded by Dr. Huacuz 4/26 and I was concerned because of the whole Mexico thing, mainly because family and friends are throwing up the concern. Thus, I just wanted to know do you have any regrets or complications from having the surgery done there? Any feedback you can give to relax my mind will be greatly appreciated.

hi NewLease:

I had my band put on my Dr. Huacuz, and my girlfriend also had hers by Dr. Huacuz the same day. I did get an infection in my incision, but still would do it all again. (I just would know how to recognize the symptoms sooner this time). My girlfriend did find and didn't have any complications at all. My girlfriend is flying back down next week for her 1st fill. In fact she will be there the same day you are! I still have restriction from just the band, so I'm not going back down yet. Best of luck to you.

This is just what I needed thank you!!!!!

I am/was a BMI of 33.7. I can tell you that my doctor has told me that on lower BMI patients the band is not as naturally "tighter" on lower BMI patients. The band I get is the same as if I would have weighed 500 lbs rather than 220. He warned me I wouldn't have as much restriction as someone who is a higher BMI just because our stomachs aren't as big to begin with. He definitely said I would feel like I need a fill in the 6 weeks and I made my appointment for a fill before I even had surgery. And sure enough, I am now 3 weeks post op and I can eat ANYTHING I want. I surely don't eat a TON but I CAN eat WAY more than just a few ounces. I am counting the days until my fill on May 7th.

He also explained to me that lower BMI patients are "starting" where a larger BMI patient would be in the "middle" of their weight loss. Larger BMI patients will lose their weight rapidly at first, then slow down a lot in the middle. Since we are starting in what would be the "middle" so our weight loss is going to be a lot slower. (for example, a person weighing 380 may lose 60 lbs their first 2 months whereas a lower BMI patient will lose maybe 30 in 2 months as being normal). A higher BMI patient will see the VISUAL results a lot sooner whereas the lower BMI patient has more subtle results that are not visually as dramatic. But in the end of things, we will all look great and lose the weight we want to. Make sense?

I think some patients feel "restriction" without a fill. I am just unlucky enough to not be one of them. I do think it has to do with the size of your stomach when they insert the band and the amount of fat you carry around that particular organ.

But then again, I already knew I was a "super healer" and will heal VERY fast. I knew my swelling would go down quick. I even had surgery on Wed and was back to work on Monday. So by the second week I was completely misreble and could have eaten a horse! I was about to gnaw off my own arm! And I even looked at my husband strangely sometimes I think. :)

I couls eat almost normally as well and with my first fill I still can.

Its less but not enough to lose weight.. I know this becasue I have went on hundreds of diets where I reduced this much and nothin much happened.

I am despritly waiting on my second fill