Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ugh ~ I'm 12 days post op and the gas (not from below) but in my shoulder and back are making me boderline suicidal (well not suicidal), but for the love of god! The pain is so bad and nothing seems to be working. I've tried everything from peppermint tea, gax-x strips to a massage - nothing is passing and and I am having great difficulty burping even when I try on purpose. Any other suggestions to help this?

Other than that - I feel great - a little port pain but that's about it and I'm 12 lbs down from the day of surgery. :thumbup:

I found that walking, walking, walking, and even more walking is what helped me the most. It moves it around in there, so that the gas isn't pressing on the nerves.

Hope you feel better...later on the band will be so worth the discomfort.

The gas in the shoulders is rough. Walking really helped me. Also, if you have a neck wrap that you can heat in the microwave, that helps. If not, a slightly damp towel heated in the microwave would work. I also found that sleeping in a recliner helped. Good luck. It does not last much longer.

My husband thought I lost my mind. I would be up in the dark in the middle of the night making a circle over and over again through the house. Kitchen to living room to entry hall to kitchen, etc., etc. Round and round. But it helped. In the afternoon I walked around the neighborhood. Toot, toot, tooting all the way... :thumbup: I was jet propelled!!! LOL

Yep, walk walk walk.

And I've found that Probiotics help *tremendously* for me. Gas-X did nothing. You can find Probiotics at any natural foods or Vitamin store. PB8 has worked best for me, as far as gas goes. I recently switched to Pearls because they are small, but they haven't worked as well so I take PB8 when I can get it down and pearls the rest of the time.

Nutrition Now PB8 Acidophilus

Natrol > Digestive Health > BioBeads®

Goodness, we sound like clones. I have such shoulder pain I could knaw it off myself. I bought Malox liquid, and tylenol for arthritis, and I take it pretty regularly just to stay on top of the pain. I was banded about the same time as you, and have lost about the same amount of weight.

I have moved about, and walk alot, but nothing has helped the pain. I have tried the damp microwaved towels, and it gives some relief. Share with me if you find anything that really works. I want it gone too,

Ugh ~ I'm 12 days post op and the gas (not from below) but in my shoulder and back are making me boderline suicidal (well not suicidal), but for the love of god! The pain is so bad and nothing seems to be working. I've tried everything from peppermint tea, gax-x strips to a massage - nothing is passing and and I am having great difficulty burping even when I try on purpose. Any other suggestions to help this?

Other than that - I feel great - a little port pain but that's about it and I'm 12 lbs down from the day of surgery. :party:

Hi, make sure you aren't drinking your liquids through a straw or a squeeze bottle. These can add lots of gas. Also, certain sugar free foods cause lots of gas. For me, sugar free popsicles do it.

Hey everyone, I'm new here and I was banded almost 1 week ago, on April 29th. Gas is a horrible problem for me, mostly because no matter what its not passing! And when I try to walk it out, my back and shoulder blade hurt soooo bad. I went for a walk around my block and wanted to cry by the end. I'e tried the gas x strips and the maximum strength mylanta chewables and I'm miserable. Has anyone else had walking make it worse and when did it finally go away????

I still have pain and am in 4th week (end of this week) post op. I try to walk, exercise, and stay on top of the pain with lots of Water, tylenol for arthritis, and extra strength liquid Malox. I am somewhat better and am still hoping for pain free, hang in there others say it will get better.

hi all...

Oh I'm totally understanding how you all are feeling and since I posted this, now I'm 16 days out and the past 4 have been better so hang in there. I too found that walking increased my shoulder and back pain and although I do still have shoulder pain it's nowhere near where it's been so it should subside and soon. I never drink from a straw although I do use a squeeze Water bottle so perhaps I'll cut this out and see if this helps any. Don't waste your money on Gas-X - I recently found that the strips/pills do not alleviate this type of gas and my doctor told me only time. I could smack him for that one! It will get better ~ hang in there!

Edited by kei1170

I was just banded on April 19, 2008 (four days post-op), and I have to admit that the gas makes recovery the worst!!! Gas-X has helped me a lot, and I only have occasional shoulder pain (mostly at night while sitting in bed with my husband) anymore ... but I have been WALKING :lol:, and very active ... I have a 19-month old at home, so I don't have a lot of chance to sit, if you know what I mean :biggrin2:. I bought the Gas-X "Ultimate Strength Gel Tabs", which seem to work the best. I am off my pain meds, for the most part, except at night, when I still wake up having to walk around a little bit just to get the gas out. I am also having tremendous difficulty burping - it even kind of hurts. I don't know if this is normal or not, but I plan on calling my surgeon today to find out. If anyone has any info. or hints, please PM me, if possible. Take care, everyone! Congrats on making this decision to change your lives! -Sarah H. :grouphug:

HI All,

I am 5 days post op and still dealing with the gas. It has been miserable. I am praying within the next few weeks this will go away. Not being able to burp, the pain in my shoulder is not too bad. I am not sure about any of you but the promise of returning to work rather quickly had me to believe that the pain in minimal. I guess it is but the gas is KILLER!.. I am off work for another surgery but if I had to go back today, I could not make it. I hope everyone the best and that we all get better!

Oh thank heaven!

Not that we're in gas hell, but that I'm not alone in gas hell! I was getting worried that my body would never be right again.

I've learned to burp again. Found that GASX does help for the tail end, but the shoulder pain...Geez Louise!

Dumb question, but why is it localized in the left shoulder?

Okay, I'll walk, but what does seem to help when the pain is 8/10 is reclining on the couch with the left shoulder down for a few minutes.

HI

I think what I am seeing/reading is all about post-surgery gas. I am 6 days post op and I do not have the back/shoulder pain. I do however feel like I need to burp ( big pressure in chest/breastbone area) 50-60% of the time. I do burp a lot when I drink liquids, but the sensation comes right back. I am hoping this is part of the icky early side-effects that go away with 2-3 weeks. OR does having the band make you a 12 year boy (aka Burping Machine):) forever? I do not use straw/ Water bottles - just for the record.