Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would I be a good candidate for lapband?

Hi all.:thumbup: 0I actually found this site back in 2006 when I was researching the lap band procedure.

Anyway, I would really appreciate your input on my situation. Here is my case... My BMI is 38. I have high blood pressure which is controlled by a low dose medication and am Prediabetic according to my PCP. I currently have Empire BCBS. According to their website if I were to qualify for the surgery it would be covered 100%. Is there anyone in here who is or was in a similar situation? Please share the outcome. BTW I am scheduled for a free seminar at NYU on 5/8 and am really hoping everything works out in my favor. I am tired for being fat. Thanks in advance.

hey, i had a similar problem...high blood pressure and extreme stress on my heart at just 16. I wanted to respond so you dont think nobody is listening!

The only person who can tell you if lap band is suitable is a doctor because they need to know all of your history including weight loss efforts. It would be impossible for us to give you a yes or no answer because we dont know everything about you :-)

If you have a weight problem the lapband COULD solve that if it is suited to you, again a doc would have to help with that decision.

If there is anything you would like to know about the band i would be happy to help .

Also you can pm me if you want to know anything else

Bel

I would say that as long as YOU ARE READY and can be put out for a surgery then you would be a candidate..... since you've been researching since 2006 you should be well versed in band talk....

I know it took me several times of signing up for a seminar before I got the guts to go......... but I did and I am now one year banded and loving it......... and loving the size 12's I'm wearing as I type this! :thumbup:

Thanks for your response ladies. Bel, I guess you're right. I'm just being a little impatient. It's just that I so want to be able to have this done and there is no way I can pay out of pocket.

Tracy I only did a bit of research back then. I didn't really start investigating it until my recent visit with my PCP who told me it might be possible through my insurance and suggested I sign up for the free seminar at NYU. I have been absorbing as much info as I can since then. I am curious though - what can I expect to get from the seminar? I know, I know - why not just wait and find out - but I am so excited!

When I was banded I was taking 2 meds for high blood pressure, a diuretic, and a Calcium channel blocker, I was also taking Metformin for a prediabetic situation, Celebrax for joint pain, and another for a short time for high cholesterol (could not remain on it, it raised my liver enzymes---so cholesterol remained 200+.)

Within a very short time, I was taking zero prescription meds! 2 years out, I still take absolutely nothing. My blood pressure is normal---117/72 this morning. Blood sugars are normal--cholesterol has dropped below 150---with no meds. My knees don't hurt with every step.

I am thrilled to death with the weight loss, but the health aspects alone, make me feel like the band was a success, and that is was without a doubt worth it, and the right choice for me!

Good Luck----the seminars are FULL of information, take someone with you if you can, especially if someone in your life is questioning the surgery---it would do them good to hear the seminar.

Welcome to LBT.....again!

Kat

I'm guessing they'll want another co-morbidity since your BMI is 38. The high blood pressure would count, but I'm not sure pre-diabetes counts. Are you on Metformin or Actos for it? How close to diabetic are you? I assume by pre-diabetes, your HA1c is in that range above normal but below diabetic.

Have you been tested for sleep apnea? How about high cholesterol? Any issues with joint pain or back pain, especially anything requiring physical therapy or prescription pain meds?

Depression?

I'm trying to think what some other co-morbidities are... hmmm.... your doc will figure it out though. Most surgery centers have staff skilled at figuring out what to put on the forms to help you get insurance coverage.

Some insurance companies will accept high blood pressure as a co-morbidity but others want you to have high blood pressure that requires serious medication and/or can't be controlled by medication. Some accept one co-morbidity, some want two.

You really need to check with your insurance company to find out what their policy is in general and also what your particular policy covers under what conditions. It really varies quite a bit and even someone else with Empire BCBS might not have your exact policy.

Thanks for sharing Kat!

Molly...Molly (lol) you threw so many things at me at once I started to panic. I've never had a test done for sleep apnea and my cholesterol is relatively normal. I honestly have no idea how close I am to being diabetic. I'll have to ask my PCP. I am currently on Hydrochlorathiazide for the pressure and antidepressants (depression and anxiety). I also have back and ankle pain. Hopefully those factors will help.