Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't eat all I'm supposed to

I was banded two days ago and still in a lot of pain from the gas build up - can't breathe deeply at all. I'm also having a really hard time trying to get in all my 'food' either. I can barely get down an 8oz container of Optifast throughout the day. I have been able to sip Water and had two s/f popsicles today. I'm just NOT hungry at all.

Will this go away soon? I know it's extremely unhealthy to not 'eat' and I don't want to screw myself. :unsure:

This soon after surgery, I'd say do the best you can and don't sweat it. It was a good 4 - 5 days after surgery before I could come close to getting recommended food, supplements, Water, etc. I was doing good to down half a bottle of water and half a little lunchbox cup of Jello in an entire day.

Don't worry about it right now. But here is a tip... You really need to get the Protein down so for now stick with just that. that is what my doc recommended. He told me that the liquid I took in from the Protein shake countedd towards the Water count so I just walked around with those for I think the first 4 days then I was fine... Now I get Water and Protein in.

But obviously check with your doctor if you think there is an issue. Most of them are happy to answer questions over the phone.

You all just saved me! I've been having the same trouble. That very very full, pressure feeling. I was nervous about it. Now I feel better reading that it's normal. I had bought one of the 42 grams of Protein "Jello shots"- tastes like warm jello- thingees. Only have to drink 3 1/2 ounces to get all that Protein. Taste was not awful, not good but until I can get more of the other drinks in, this will go a long way to reaching my protein goal of 75 grams a day.

Banded on April 30 and my biggest issue is feeling all kinds of little aches, spasms, pulls, etc. My husband said to relax, so I'm trying. I go to the doc on next Tuesday, day 6.

Thanks -Gwenn

I was banded two days ago and still in a lot of pain from the gas build up - can't breathe deeply at all.

Be sure you are doing your breathing like you should be. They should have given you some kind of breathing thing that you are suppose to use every hour. Make sure you are doing it. After my surgery, I couldn't breathe hardly at all and a few days after, I ended up calling the Nurse because I started to get a low grade fever. I wasn't expanding my lower lungs like I should have been and Fluid was starting to collect. Once I really started with my breathing treatments, it got better day by day. Sure, it's going to hurt, but you NEED to do it!

Day 7 for me. Wanted a week ago. Saw the surgeon yesterday. All great.

My only and big complaint is the shoulder pain. Not only is there the gas, but it's my bad shoulder. When I breathe deeply, boy does that gas hurt. And hurts more when I walk, although I walk anyway as I was told it helps.

Down 17 pounds from the pre-op to post-op.

If anyone has heard any "cures" for the gas (shoulder and stomach), please pass them on. The surgeon said it may take another week or so - all I can say is thank goodness for the pain pills. Makes a difference.

Have anyone taken gas away chewables or strips? Did it help?

Thanks,

Gwenn

have you tried a heating pad? I love it.

The nurse at my surgeon's office also suggested one of those handheld vibrating massage things.

GasX works for stomach gas, but not the abdominal gas from being inflated during surgery.

Thanks for the reply. I've tried heat and I guess I'll do it more. I also went to the chiropractor and he adjusted my neck and shoulder. I did help, so I'm going to go back. He also used the vibrating thingee....that worked also.

My husband will love it when I ask him to go to the drugstore and buy me a vibrator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

The darvocet helps a bit too, and the surgeon okayed more time on the pain pills.

Take care.

Gwenn

I had terrible gas pain for almost 10 days! The only thing that relieved it was walking or riding in the car. I also used the heating pad a lot. Also, I drank Isopure over crushed ice and just sipped on it all day. So I was getting the Protein, but it has more of a watery consistency. I craved something hot, so I also sipped on broth quite a bit those first few days. Don't worry about caloric intake right now, just heal for a few days. And just know that it does get better. I've felt great since getting rid of the gas!

Thanks, Bea. The good news with all the stuff is that it's temporary. I find that walking sets it off (I do it anyway). I keep telling myself that the jiggling is helping it move and eventually move OUT! Other than this, I'm really doing well and even have 17 pounds off since my pre-op to now so the only people I complain to are here, as who else would get it, right?

Thanks again and good luck.

Gwenn

jrob, I wouldn't really bother with worrying about caloric intake right now. Your body is recovering from surgery. It will take some time, and be sure to stick to your doctors post op diet! It is incredibly important to do that.

Believe me, the hunger returns, then you'll wish you didn't wish for it!