Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I really need some support !!!

Hi,

I was banded 2/27/08 and I have several issues. I feel like crying...I don't think I made the right decision. It doesn't appear to be working for me.

I had my first fill 3 weeks ago. Here are my problems:

(1) little weight loss. I've lost a total of 18 pounds but 15 of it was during the liquid/mushy stage. I am losing very little now. Even after a fill I can eat a pretty large portion of food. Plus the band doesn't keep you away from bad food. I have made little progress on weight loss in the past month (down and up the same 3 pounds).

(2) of most concern are these spasms I started getting this morning (before I even woke up), in my stomach area. It doesn't really hurt but really annoying--not something I could live with. Has anyone else had these?

(3) Pain in my left side, near the port area and sometimes lower. Sometimes it's just pain and sometimes its a burning sensation.

But the spasms concern me the most. Has my band slipped or is something else wrong?

I'm very very discouraged. I have another Dr.'s appointment May 5. I don't know if I can wait that long.

Linda

I am sorry for your struggles.... You do need to see your doctor and discuss your issues and If you cant wait till next Monday call and see if you can get in before.

I'm not a doc so I really can't address your spasms or the burning - is the burning like heart burn - do you have chewable pecid -

As you have heard before - the band is only a tool - but I know that there are some who stil think that this will be the magic cure to their issues with food. The band is far from easy - once you get proper restriction it does curb how much you can eat at one sitting. But as you said - it has no effect of some of the unhealthy foods - they silde right through.

The have banded our stomachs - not our brains - IMHO most of our problems are in our brains and not our tummies.

Even with the band you still have to have will power - the will to change your unhealthy eating habits and add exercise in your life.

There is an article in the Magazine Section above - Is your band failing you or are you failing your band - by Coach Cher.. You might want to read this,

Good Luck - You can do this

Linda,

I had what I would describe as fluttering in my stomach/esophageal area for about 6 weeks after my surgery. I think it was just my anatomy getting used to the band, I don't have those issues anymore. It was like you described though, it wasn't painful, just annoying. Even though we have had similar issues in that dept I would still talk to your doc.

I have had 3 fills, going for the 4th today. I still don't have restriction. Try not to get frustrated with that, it will come, its just a gradual thing.

I had port pain for a while! I would move a certain way and the sharp pain and burning would happen.

Again, I'm just sharing my experience with you, I would encourage you to talk to your doc about your issues!

Take care and good luck!

..take this from someone who has screamed loud and proud on this forum that i "hated my band"..it gets better. do not expect miracles with your first fill, maybe not even your second third or fourth.

my doctor put it to me like this, because i was very frustrated and losing very little, "i can either knock you over the head with a 2 x 4..and you'll end up in the E.R., or i can tap you on the shoulder several times, and you will adjust mentally along with your stomach". -----thus his reasoning for not being overly aggressive with fills. he was right, after my 4th fill, i lost 30 lbs in one month. ...and it was easy, and i still was in need of another small fill.

do not pay attention to my ticker, because i was even more recently pregnant, unfilled, miscarried, and ceased weight loss.

once it starts to work, it will be so much easier, but it doesn't happen as soon as we may like. don't be too hard on yourself, and be happy with what loss you have had. you will lose, as long as you follow the rules and stay on top of your fills.

and as for me, when i hit proper restriction, i was not consumed by cravings for bad food, because i only had enough room to eat the stuff that i needed, and that is what i would crave, meat, veggies.

some people do not have the same experience, but for me, my cravings eased up. then i got an unfill and went straight back to eating oatmeal cream pies on a daily basis :coolgleamA:, and i am at the same cc's as i was on my 3rd fill...lol...i can eat a lot. ..but i'm getting refilled today, so i'll be feeling like you for a few days...as my emotions and my body adjust again.

..sorry for rambling...

Hi Linda,

I know it's easy to get discouraged - I've been there myself. I was banded 5 days before you and I'm only down 20 pounds and mine too was during the mushy stage.

I had a 5cc fill on March 26th and I still feel no restriction and I haven't lost any weight from it. I am going back next week for a 2nd fill and hopefully this will help me to make progress.

My doctor said I am not feeling the restriction because I am a lower BMI bandster and my stomach is smaller. He said that most people, by the time they get to where I'm at now, have higher fill levels and that I just need to get to that point. He said it will work if I just give it the time necessary to get the proper adjustments.

I hope this helps a little - keep your chin up sweetie, you'll get there.

xxx

I feel so much better just getting it out there and feeling heard. Plus everyone's advice has been so good--thanks! The spasms have gotten a little better as the day goes on. I'm hoping it's just an adjustment to the band. I have done good today so far on my eating. I do think the band helps you to make better food choices which is beneficial in the long run. I'm going to see the doctor on Monday and then I think I will also attend a lap band support group this weekend. May also see the psychiatrist--heck why not? I think part of my problem is comparison. I have a friend who had RNY two weeks after me at the same clinic. She's lost 40 pounds. But I know the long term weight loss is supposed to be about the same.

Don't you hate the comparisons to RNY patients? My support group is composed of both RNY and LapBand pts. (my MD's have only recently begun to do LapBand, in fact I was the first) But remember...it is the TURTLE that wins the RACE....but its NOT A RACE to see who can lose weight the fastest...it is about HEALTHY!!! I just now have restriction after my 6TH fill!! And boy what a difference although I have seen the scale sit still and in fact gained a lb since my fill....I think it is because I am not eating enough...the body is sooo funny, I can only get in about 600 cals a day...takes ALL day to drink my H2O, but I KNOW it will go down again, after my metabolism adjusts again, I also think it is Water wt. gain. Keep up the good work...I too have been a slow loser so far, less than 40 lbs in 6 month, mostly diet and exercise, like I said my band is just coming into play...hey there is a special place for us on this forum, go check it out.

I feel so much better just getting it out there and feeling heard. Plus everyone's advice has been so good--thanks! The spasms have gotten a little better as the day goes on. I'm hoping it's just an adjustment to the band. I have done good today so far on my eating. I do think the band helps you to make better food choices which is beneficial in the long run. I'm going to see the doctor on Monday and then I think I will also attend a lap band support group this weekend. May also see the psychiatrist--heck why not? I think part of my problem is comparison. I have a friend who had RNY two weeks after me at the same clinic. She's lost 40 pounds. But I know the long term weight loss is supposed to be about the same.

Linda

Please don't compare yourself to a person who has had bypass or even with another lapband person - We are individuals and we all work diff at this - we all lose differently. If you compare yourself with others and let it get to you - you are setting your self up for failure.

You have a plan - Doc - Support Group - Shrink - Making Better food choices - This combination of all these thing IS going to make you a healthier & happier person..

Good Luck..

Welcome Linda,

I'm sorry to hear you have been down but that's a small part of the process. We have to get use to our new lifestyles and it may take some longer than others hence the weightloss. Once you are banded you do have restriction (think about) it may not be restricted to the point where you eat 4 ounces of food but you wouldnot survive at a buffet. Remember the band may not have any saline in it but it is around our stomach so we do have some restriction maybe not to the junk food (which we need to leave alone) but it's there. You have to get use to the band, learn to listen to the band and your stomach in order to know when you've had enough to eat. I am a slow loser too but guess what, I haven't gained any weight and I feel great. I am now starting to lose more frequently but that because I'm eating healthier and exercising (see I've just started working out). I now realize that with my body type because I've been eating healthy for the last 3 years or more with the occassional junk or takeout but my body requires exercise. I am to the point where I actually like to exercise now. I've had either 3 or 4 fills, I can't remember but I think its 3 and I can now honestly say that I can't consume over 4 ounces, if I can eat 4 ounces. The key for me is to measure my food and use those small bread plates for my meals along with children's plastic ware to help me eat less. It's okay to be a slow loser (we have our own thread on this site - check us out). Join our summer/independence day weight loss challenge to give yourself that push-it might just help, I know I enjoy it. Continue to surf the site as many of us go thru similar situations. I hope everything works out for you. Work on trusting your band and yourself and you will do great. Best of luck to you!

Edited by luvinke

Hi Linda,

I know it's easy to get discouraged - I've been there myself. I was banded 5 days before you and I'm only down 20 pounds and mine too was during the mushy stage.

I had a 5cc fill on March 26th and I still feel no restriction and I haven't lost any weight from it. I am going back next week for a 2nd fill and hopefully this will help me to make progress.

My doctor said I am not feeling the restriction because I am a lower BMI bandster and my stomach is smaller. He said that most people, by the time they get to where I'm at now, have higher fill levels and that I just need to get to that point. He said it will work if I just give it the time necessary to get the proper adjustments.

I hope this helps a little - keep your chin up sweetie, you'll get there.

xxx

that is what my doctor told me verbatim...i have 8.2cc's in my band now, and i just got a 3 cc fill yesterday, it takes longer to get me the restriction that i need, becuase i have less of a "fat pad" around my stomach.

I have been having the same problems, Linda. I am almost 2 months out and have only lost 20 pounds, and that number may be less as I think I may have gained recently. I have a 10cc band with 6 cc in it right now and I feel no restriction. I feel like I can eat whatever I want....good or bad foods, doesn't matter. I am feeling guilty for eating too much. I am making better choices but my portions are way too big for someone with a band around their stomach! I know I need another fill, but I am wondering if my band will ever work for me. My doctor did also say that I would loose slower as my BMI is lower...I hope he is right! You are not alone..I am in the same boat!

I have not had the procedure yet, but I can tell you not to forget the feeling you had before getting this done. I am sure you did not make this decission lightly. Maybe you should call the doctors office and explain to them the issues you have. Maybe they will take you sooner. Maybe you should try following a specific diet like ww to help control the amount of food you are eating. Don't lose hope, Hang in there.

Sue

There is a saying for bandsters.....Just because you can eat a lot....does NOT mean that you SHOULD!

You should be trying to get by for 4 hours on as little as possible. 4 oz Protein & 1 cup vegies. Protein and Produce is what my Doc preaches. Just because you can eat more than this, does not mean you should. The band does not do the work for you.

All the band is for is to curb hunger on less food.< /p>

I learned this the hard way....but that is how it has to be.

reading the other posts i think it is so funny to see the different philosphies of different doctors. my doctor has the philosphy that "if you can eat it you will". if you wouldn't, you wouldn't have needed surgery. so, they say that if you are following these rules: 1) no drinking with food, 2) no drinking liquid calories, 3) coming back for fills, you will lose weight (they also stress 10% of the calories of a food should equal the amount of Protein in grams, so if it is 100 calories it should have 10 grams of Protein. there aren't a lot of foods out there that follow that, except meat, plain meat. so, it is tricky.

however, even if you can't do the 10% thing, if you have a good fill, you will not be able to eat enough to not lose weight, if you are eating solid, dense foods. but if you don't get enough protein you will lose your hair.

so be patient, go get your fills, and try to use will power as much as you can. each person is different in that degree.