Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gift Basket suggestions for 89 year old

Well finally ordered a basket from Harry & David. His sister had no ideas so I went with what I thought he would like without buying him vodka and cigars, thanks for all your input brandyII.

What a cool basket! If he's about to break 90, then he's earned a shot and a stogie. If you had arranged for a stripper to deliver the basket, then you would have single-handedly created the best gift basket known to man. LOL

Plain,

Are you my brother-n-law under a false name? See that's why I wouldn't ask you for advice. The poor man would have freaken heart attack if a stripper showed up at his door! I don't want to be responsible for his death so let's hope the cheese basket doesn't kill him!!!! brandyII

Plain,

Let's hope his mail-person is a hottie because that's all he's getting. All he's thinking is "oh how nice, my niece has sent me cheese from Harry and David doesn't it look delicious, I think I will save the Moose Munch for later when I watch the Game Show Channel" At least in my mind that's what he's thinking, brandyII

My dad is 89 also and he is almost impossible to shop for. People buy him food gifts and he just lets them rot.

It would be great if you could go there and spend time with him. Take him to dinner or something like that. My dad loves to go to the movies but it's impossible unless he has someone hold onto him while he walks. I am going there to visit him in about a week. It's very hard to be so far away from someone you love and aren't sure how long they will be around.

I know I wasn't very helpful, but I just wanted you to know I sure understand how hard it is.

Edited by Oregondaisy

Thanks Athinnerdenise, I appreciate it brandyII. Actually I heard he's put on some weight which is good because he had been losing it and lost his appetite. So maybe he'll eat some pears and cheese.< /p>

Oh darn, I was going to make a suggestion but you've already ordered. I'll put it in anyway. There's a store where I live that do candy gift baskets. It looks like a bouquet of flowers, but it's different kinds of candies on a stick made to look like flowers. Kinda neat.

just another suggestion even though you already purchased...

we bought mil an ipod shuffle and filled it with her type of music (stolen from the library....shhhh!!!!) bought her small speakers and I think it is her favorite gift EVER!

rain

I don't know if this helps or not. But even though my skills are on the back burner now, I am a chocolate Lady. I do Chocolats, Sugar Free Chocolates, painting with chocolates, Fudge "about 5 flavors." and Refrigerator Pies... Peanutbutter Pie, Creamy Chocolate pie, and a to die for Cherry cheese Pie. I might be able to help you, that's up to you.

I'm sure you can see why this line of work is on the back burner. Let me no. Shirley

Edited by sstasevich

Rainer/sstasevich,

Thanks for your suggestions, I don't even have an Ipod yet but my kids can't live without them!

As for the chocolate, you made me hungry!

thanks, brandyII

Here's another fun idea, Edible Arrangements! They are flowers made from fresh fruit (with some chocolate dipping, but I'm sure you could order it without if you wanted to). A nice healthy alternative for those cheese/meat baskets (not that they aren't yummy! :party:) or nice for someone who doesn't like real flower arrangements (I know I'm not so fond of them, they die too quickly). My husband received one from his sister for his birthday (hubby can be hard to buy for as well! ) . . . and he loved it! (He did share with me :party:)

Just an idea!

Edible Arrangements® Gourmet Gift Baskets and Floral Fruit Bouquets

Thanks for the suggestion, even though I've shopped for him there's always someone else on the list, thanks brandyII.

Georgiagirl,

Thanks for the reply.

He lives far away and has always enjoyed those cheese/candy type baskets in the past. If you ask him what he wants he'll say nothing. I know he also likes tabloids and TV but maybe you're right maybe I could just put together my own for him. I have no idea if he needs new potholders or weird things like that. He's not a very social person but a very nice person and as you can see he's 89 years old and I guess I'm worried this may be his last birthday.

I hope I get to see 89 :party: I lost my dad 3 years ago at the age of 100. I used to always send him baskets of cheese and meat from Hickory Farms. I would just order online and have them send it out and he loved it. They have some nice baskets with bigger cheese and meats in them. Just an idea. He also loved getting items from Swiss Colony. Both of these have a website.